Struggling with upgrade
May 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #121 of 153

I don't find the RS2i's to be lacking in bass at all and I've heard that the RS1's are a bit more bassy.  I agree with you that their subbass performance is lacking.

One thing I failed to mention about the HD800's - the detail retrieval is stunning.  There are details that they will readily present to you in that you don't have to specifically listen for, that's not easily heard or are inaudible on my other cans.  The Ed8's and HD600's are close but not as good as they are.

I just received my ultra desktop this week and am driving the RS1i. The bass is deep and a lot better than my Nuforce HDP. I think I've heard people mention a bass increase when comparing RS1 to RS1i. So can the Ultra drive the HD800's well? I'm considering a pair for my next upgrade......

May 20, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #122 of 153

Quote:
I just received my ultra desktop this week and am driving the RS1i. The bass is deep and a lot better than my Nuforce HDP. I think I've heard people mention a bass increase when comparing RS1 to RS1i. So can the Ultra drive the HD800's well? I'm considering a pair for my next upgrade......

can the ultra desktop  drive the HD800 well is a rather rhetorical question,ofcourse it can...easely!  i don't think there's a dynamic headphone that it CAN'T drive effortlessly.
by the way,congratz on your new ultra desktop, you are one of the luckies to have headroom gear in their rig.

May 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #123 of 153
Hey guys, well the other week I decided to try out a pair of HD800s to see what all the fuss was about, and in no small part to Aimlink's favorable opinion. I've only had them a couple of days so my decision isn't final yet but I think I'll be returning them. And you know what? They were pretty much exactly like what I thought they'd be like from all that I've read about from the board here. I didn't find them sibilant like I was afraid they would be, and yes the detail they have is impressive but not a dealbreaker for me personally. I don't know how to exactly put it and this might sound silly, but I just found the 650s sound far more tastier. perhaps if they made a Senn 850 that's a little darker but with the same level of detail the 800 has may I consider repurchasing them, but I think I'll be returning these. Just not my cup of tea. The sound just doesn't have enough weight to it I guess, not that its lacking in weight (I do think the bass is awesome on these by the way, no lack of it) and the 650s sound sounds more like "home" to me. Its a bit reassuring as well, cause I knew that I like the 650 so much and I just reinforced my opinion that a new top of the headphone won't replace it. I've read and read (and read some more) about how the 800 is "in another league", along with the T1. And quite frankly, What? The 800 may be a step up in detail or clarity, but not a step up in the pleasure of listening. This kind of echoes what so many others have said about the 800 (having no soul and whatnot) and I wouldn't say that exactly about them. for me, I just like the laid back sound more of the 650s.

Don't know what else to say for the time being, but thanks Aimlink for pushing me over the edge and trying these out. It's something I've been curious about ever since I started this journey some six months back.

May 30, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #124 of 153

Quote:
Hey guys, well the other week I decided to try out a pair of HD800s to see what all the fuss was about, and in no small part to Aimlink's favorable opinion. I've only had them a couple of days so my decision isn't final yet but I think I'll be returning them. And you know what? They were pretty much exactly like what I thought they'd be like from all that I've read about from the board here. I didn't find them sibilant like I was afraid they would be, and yes the detail they have is impressive but not a dealbreaker for me personally. I don't know how to exactly put it and this might sound silly, but I just found the 650s sound far more tastier. perhaps if they made a Senn 850 that's a little darker but with the same level of detail the 800 has may I consider repurchasing them, but I think I'll be returning these. Just not my cup of tea. The sound just doesn't have enough weight to it I guess, not that its lacking in weight (I do think the bass is awesome on these by the way, no lack of it) and the 650s sound sounds more like "home" to me. Its a bit reassuring as well, cause I knew that I like the 650 so much and I just reinforced my opinion that a new top of the headphone won't replace it. I've read and read (and read some more) about how the 800 is "in another league", along with the T1. And quite frankly, What? The 800 may be a step up in detail or clarity, but not a step up in the pleasure of listening. This kind of echoes what so many others have said about the 800 (having no soul and whatnot) and I wouldn't say that exactly about them. for me, I just like the laid back sound more of the 650s.

Don't know what else to say for the time being, but thanks Aimlink for pushing me over the edge and trying these out. It's something I've been curious about ever since I started this journey some six months back.

yep...you like the HD650 sound better,nothing to be ashamed of
bigsmile_face.gif
I also auditioned the HD800 one time,and to be honest the only thing i found them to be amazing at is the HUGE imaging they have,but that's probably all.     for people that imagning is very important to them the HD800 will be worth getting but that aspect in sound is not that important to me. 

May 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #125 of 153

Quote:

You got it?  Haha!

I can understand your preference.  This isn't a problem at all. 

Quote:
yep...you like the HD650 sound better,nothing to be ashamed of
bigsmile_face.gif
I also auditioned the HD800 one time,and to be honest the only thing i found them to be amazing at is the HUGE imaging they have,but that's probably all.     for people that imagning is very important to them the HD800 will be worth getting but that aspect in sound is not that important to me. 

I agree here.  I'm pretty sure that like the HD800's, the T1's bring something different to the table.  If those particular differences are important for you, then the preference will be marked.  Detail freaks will consider the HD800's to be in a different league.  There's no doubt that it departs from a more traditional sound.  It's either you feel isolated by it or it brings a smile to your face.  It certainly brings one to mine.  However, I still enjoy my HD650's. 

Should I now rave about the Edition 8's?  They're a different and more organic kettle of fish.  You two would likely appreciate them.  
biggrin.gif

Haha!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, I'm personally shifting focus to a different DAC/Amp.  I may well try the RWA Isabellina HPA. Ah dear... not again.  
mad.gif

May 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #126 of 153
Traitor! And I thought we had a nice little clique going on here with our headroom gear...
L3000.gif

I've been thinking, with Headroom's return policy, of just checking out a lot of different cans. I could send the 800s back, swap them out with some Denon's, try them out for a bit, if I don't like then send them in and try out some Ultrasone's... from what I can tell Headroom doesn't mind that if I'm looking for something that suits me.

May 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #127 of 153
other amps will maybe sound different but not better..the ultra desktop is probably the best that one can go  in single ended drive.  can't think of something that will make an improvement.
but trying other gear is good if you can afford it,maybe you will find something different that you'll like more.

May 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #128 of 153

Quote:
other amps will maybe sound different but not better..the ultra desktop is probably the best that one can go  in single ended drive.  can't think of something that will make an improvement.
but trying other gear is good if you can afford it,maybe you will find something different that you'll like more.

At the point where I currently am, changing gear or cans will be in the interest of getting a different and not necessarily better sound.  I entirely agree with you.  :) 

May 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #129 of 153

Quote:
Traitor! And I thought we had a nice little clique going on here with our headroom gear...
L3000.gif

I've been thinking, with Headroom's return policy, of just checking out a lot of different cans. I could send the 800s back, swap them out with some Denon's, try them out for a bit, if I don't like then send them in and try out some Ultrasone's... from what I can tell Headroom doesn't mind that if I'm looking for something that suits me.

I don't plan on parting with my UltraDesktop.  You need not feel betrayed. 
cool.gif

The D7000's seem like a good shot.  Try the Edition 8's as well, though the T1's may well be the better bang for the buck, especially if you're more interested in an open can.

May 30, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #130 of 153
the desire and curiousity to try and experiment new things is a killer..like a disease.  even when you seeminly got the optimal sound you looked for,you still can't help thinking how other gear sounds like...especially headphones.   

May 30, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #131 of 153

Quote:
the desire and curiousity to try and experiment new things is a killer..like a disease.  even when you seeminly got the optimal sound you looked for,you still can't help thinking how other gear sounds like...especially headphones.   

You speak with emotion, but there are much worse diseases, habituations, obsessions or addictions one could have. Only a woeful few of us are free of them.  All part of this life... and I'm not saying this to make excuses.  I'm just saying it as it is.

May 30, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #133 of 153

Quote:

You speak with emotion, but there are much worse diseases, habituations, obsessions or addictions one could have. Only a woeful few of us are free of them.  All part of this life... and I'm not saying this to make excuses.  I'm just saying it as it is.

didn't mean this in such a serious way...  but seriouisly,i think that this addiction could be not less worse than others.  the positive thing about it is that it won't kill you,only your wallet!
smile.gif

don't get me wrong..I am totally into it.  if i would have the money i would probably get every  good gear possible.

EDIT:eccidentely double posted

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #134 of 153
Well I might just have to eat my own words about returning the HD800s. I was messing around with the treble on my EQ and lowered it, now I'm really liking these. I'll have to listen to them for another week or so to really decide what I'm gonna do with them. Do you guys ever use EQ on your cans? I used to be opposed to the idea but its really the only way I'll keep my new Senns.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #135 of 153

Quote:
Well I might just have to eat my own words about returning the HD800s. I was messing around with the treble on my EQ and lowered it, now I'm really liking these. I'll have to listen to them for another week or so to really decide what I'm gonna do with them. Do you guys ever use EQ on your cans? I used to be opposed to the idea but its really the only way I'll keep my new Senns.

I haven't been eq'ing my better cans.  I find the HD800's to be just fine, especially with the Cardas cable.  Same for my HD650's and 600's. I EQ'd the Edition 8's when they were my all-rounders for a while.  I had to tame the bass a bit for some recordings.  

So yes, I use an EQ if needed, but this hasn't been the case for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back