Studio headphones for club music (200£)
Jan 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

4Trance

New Head-Fier
Hi
I bought Beyerdynamic dt-880 and Focusrite 2i2 because I need tools for music production. I'm beginner. Before I had Audio Technica SJ55 and Realtek 1150.
When I tried DT 880 i heard:
-bigger soundstage, all instruments were separate,contrast
- many high frequencies ! I think a little bit too much
-Little, soft bass

I think this headphones are good for music with physical intruments (guitar,volin itd) but not electronic (vst club intruments).
Maybe I hear less bass, because I had for 2 years Audio Technica. This headphones are nice,deep bass. Perfect for Trap,Dnb,Neurofunk and Big room house.
Do you have any recommendation? 

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 10
You might be interested in Fidelios X1 and X2.

Best Luck!

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 10
If you use headphones with heavy bass emphasis, then your recordings will be bass light because you will set the bass levels lower than they need to be.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't want headphones with strong bass (AT SJ-55 or AKG 518) and i don't want headphones with low bass level like DT 880. I tried this model and I know, that I need something with better bass. Middle, high and soundstage are perfect for me, but low frequency too weak for me. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 10
If you use headphones with heavy bass emphasis, then your recordings will be bass light because you will set the bass levels lower than they need to be.

+1

Quote:
  I don't want headphones with strong bass (AT SJ-55 or AKG 518) and i don't want headphones with low bass level like DT 880. I tried this model and I know, that I need something with better bass. Middle, high and soundstage are perfect for me, but low frequency too weak for me. 

You should also consider Sennheiser HD650 and SoundMagic HP200. Although, DT880 should be better for production.

DT880s bass is not weak in my book, it has a hint of warmth indeed.

If you are used to very coloured sound signatures, it takes some hours to get used to the new sound (often over 20 listening hours - using the better headphone/speakers exclusively)

If you normally listen to poorly recorded music (most modern mainstream, sadly) you might find them lacking impact and/or overly bright but it's a recording fault, not the headphone.

If you want to enjoy poorly recorded music, then look elsewhere (Fidelios for example), but if you want to produce good sounding music, then keeping DT880s is the wise thing to do.

I think you can have a little bit of both worlds with HD650.

Best Luck!

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 10
You should also consider Sennheiser HD650 and SoundMagic HP200. Although, DT880 should be better for production.

DT880s bass is not weak in my book, it has a hint of warmth indeed.

If you are used to very coloured sound signatures, it takes some hours to get used to the new sound (often over 20 listening hours - using the better headphone/speakers exclusively)

If you normally listen to poorly recorded music (most modern mainstream, sadly) you might find them lacking impact and/or overly bright but it's a recording fault, not the headphone.

If you want to enjoy poorly recorded music, then look elsewhere (Fidelios for example), but if you want to produce good sounding music, then keeping DT880s is the wise thing to do.

I think you can have a little bit of both worlds with HD650.

Maybe the OP is confused about the difference between headphones one mixes with vs. ones that have the frequency response that we like to listen to for pleasure :)

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 10
F5 for resolved thread.
Now i have HD 650 and...this headphones are beautiful. More bass but not too much. I dont know why, but HD 650 have 300 Ohm and my volume knob is on the 30-40% when DT 880 was on the 50% and i hear the same volume level.
I recommend HD650 and really thank you for help

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 10
  F5 for resolved thread.
Now i have HD 650 and...this headphones are beautiful. More bass but not too much. I dont know why, but HD 650 have 300 Ohm and my volume knob is on the 30-40% when DT 880 was on the 50% and i hear the same volume level.
I recommend HD650 and really thank you for help

DT880 250 Ohm version needs 1.5 times the voltage and approximately 3 times the power (vs HD650) to sound at the same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back