Studio Monitor Placement
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ordered a pair of LSR305 and some stands. I have too much gear on my desk to fit the speakers so they will go on the floor stands to the sides of the desk.

The issue is that my desk is 3ft from the left wall, and 6 or so feet from the right wall. Will this mess with the imaging a ton or am I worrying about nothing? I understand the ideal placement of the speakers would be 2 or so feet from the back wall, centered in between the side walls, and anywhere except the middle of the room height-wise to avoid standing waves.

Thanks for any input you guys can offer!

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 17
I just ordered a pair of LSR305 and some stands. I have too much gear on my desk to fit the speakers so they will go on the floor stands to the sides of the desk.

The issue is that my desk is 3ft from the left wall, and 6 or so feet from the right wall. Will this mess with the imaging a ton or am I worrying about nothing? I understand the ideal placement of the speakers would be 2 or so feet from the back wall, centered in between the side walls, and anywhere except the middle of the room height-wise to avoid standing waves.

3ft is far enough from one side but if the image seems skewed you can just put some diffusors on that side, plus the rear wall. For the most part though I'd worry first about getting them at the proper height - get the space between the tweeter and midwoofer at ear level.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 17
3ft is far enough from one side but if the image seems skewed you can just put some diffusors on that side, plus the rear wall. For the most part though I'd worry first about getting them at the proper height - get the space between the tweeter and midwoofer at ear level.
Alright thanks for the input! I've heard tweeter should be at ear level but your suggestion seems to make more sense. I'll definitely be getting some panels just in case it sounds odd. I was just slightly worried about the fact that the speakers aren't going to be centered in terms of width, but I think it won't matter much

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 17
I've experimented with many positions in my bedroom for the LSR305s. (On Samson MS200 stands.) I think they sound awesome even when placed in a corner next to one wall, but it is indeed better to have them in the center of the room (in the sense of equal distance from the side walls) with plenty of space away from the rear wall. The main thing you have to look out for is frequency response anomalies caused by room acoustics. Imaging is going to be great as long as you have the tweeters placed at ear height, angled towards you, with an equilateral triangle between the speakers and your listening position. Actually, imaging is still good even without that. You should also experiment with how the bass reacts to listening distance. Generally, you'll miss out on sub-bass when you don't get a certain distance away.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 17
Alright thanks for the input! I've heard tweeter should be at ear level but your suggestion seems to make more sense. I'll definitely be getting some panels just in case it sounds odd. I was just slightly worried about the fact that the speakers aren't going to be centered in terms of width, but I think it won't matter much

On nearfield systems I find it's better for getting tweeters very slightly higher than ear level. If you have adjustable stands you can experiment with this.

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 17
Hi cossix,

I put in my two here, no...overall, there should be no obvious difference in sound but like Protegemaniac says, get some diffusers, stands, etc even just place some acoustic foam in the longer corner, that may help but it's your preference...

Also personal recommendation would be place your speakers a bit behind you facing straight ahead ti start from where you're sitting, preferably on stands or some raised height, if not, the floor would do, see if you're comfortable with the sound then adjust from there with above if necessary with above recommended by others here...

Hope this helps...

Have a great day !

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 17
I don't think you'll face much problems in terms of imaging, but keep an eye in the bass response of each speaker.
Best chances are, the speaker that's closer to the corner will produce more bass than the one that's farther away. More so considering the LSR-305 is a rear ported monitor.
LSR-305 comes with bass adjustment on the back, it might come in handy.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 17
Best chances are, the speaker that's closer to the corner will produce more bass than the one that's farther away. More so considering the LSR-305 is a rear ported monitor.

Oh yeah. I can confirm this. I got crazy bass with some positions where one was close to a corner or next to a wall...then much more normal bass with more accurate positions. The bass was the strongest before I put them on stands, since the sound was resonating through the furniture and walls more.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 17
On nearfield systems I find it's better for getting tweeters very slightly higher than ear level. If you have adjustable stands you can experiment with this.

Agree with this. It's how I position mine

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 17
Being off-center from side walls could be a concern for a living room system, but has much less effect for nearfield listening (which in general is affected much less by room interactions). In nearfield listening, the direct sound is very early and very strong compared to reflected sounds because you are so close to the speakers, and speakers are usually aimed at the listening position. I doubt you'll have any issue with speakers being 3 ft and 6 ft from the side walls, but you have an option to use room treatments as suggested earlier.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 17
Funny thing is, I think I actually have less room acoustic issues with my floorstanding speakers even though they're closer to the walls in my bedroom than the studio monitors were. Depending on how you define it (some would say it's a matter of distance), I still have a nearfield listening setup with these towers.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #12 of 17
I agree all around, especially with nearfield monitors but as stated in my previous post, one doesn't have to aim the speakers directly at the listener unless you're trying for a directed acoustic wave effect to directly 'wash over' the listener.

Though irrespective of speaker type & some positioning, there is some thought if you place your speakers upside down, this may help with details & imagining...
Personally, I have no reason to try this though I have seen it done & in some cases it does help, especially for certain high frequencies.

Hope this helps.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 17
I agree all around, especially with nearfield monitors but as stated in my previous post, one doesn't have to aim the speakers directly at the listener unless you're trying for a directed acoustic wave effect to directly 'wash over' the listener.

The center image and imaging will suffer if you don't angle them.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 17
The center image and imaging will suffer if you don't angle them.
I'm angling them regardless (as I should). I was just hoping that having them close to the wall won't be such a big issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back