Study headphones? =O
Feb 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
With a budget of about $150, what headphones would you recommend?

- I like electronica
- I plan to carry them with me often, I'd prefer portability
- I'll be spending 80% of the listening time in a library, they should be closed type
- I'm willing to buy used
- The source will be a Macbook Pro
- I would prefer unamped

I'll say that I like the sound of the Shure SRH840's, but I heard them a long time ago and I don't remember how big they were
frown.gif
The SRH440's on the other hand, didn't sound very good to me.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 19
For study headphones and electronica, Audio Technica M50s are great!

Though, if they were more portable Denon D2000, I would recommend them for studying (because of how laid back they are), but would be tough to get them for $150 and could really use an amp.

Otherwise I really like Denon D1001k, because of their comfort and non-fatiguing sound. I use them primarily as my handy phones for any casual computer listening/study phones. Easy enough to find for around $100-$120, and the Creative Aurvana Live! for even cheaper are basically the same headphone.

EDIT: Just made a wording adjustment in the Denon D2000 and D1001 statements. Completely left out a whole sentence fragment in that D2000 line.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 19
If you know you like the sound signature of the 840s, they would be a solid choice. They are pretty easy to drive, and they're also solid enough to be carted back and forth without getting damaged.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 19
I completely overlooked that you already had quite a list of headphones that you owned! Are there any there that have something you may want as study headphones? I see you have the ESW9 there, and thought those might be a consideration if they were cheaper.

Just curious too, what kinds of Electronica do you listen to? Artists/groups? I'm wondering if you find your DT880 as your Electronica goto headphone, and maybe looking for something more portable and less amp dependent.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 19
AKG K81dj's / K581dj's perhaps? They're small and portable, isolate very well both ways, don't need an amp to sound well, and don't cost all that much.

Edit: I've tried an acquaintance's K581dj's some time ago; being a fan of electronic dance music, I can definitely say these work well with the genre.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 19
@HeyItsBattleKid: M50's do sound like a good option so far. By the way, I've never heard the ESW9's before, only the EW9--huge difference because the EW9's were the biggest waste of money ($350 for tinny-sounding clip-ons haha). I like artists such as Pendulum? And I also listen to lots of hard trance.

@Szadzik: I will certainly look into the AT-ES7's. They look so pretty!

@joelpearce: Thanks for the suggestion. I could always try looking for a pair of used 840's, I'm just afraid they might be too big for me to carry but I'm glad to know that they won't break easily.

@Acix: I've never considered Ultrasones before, but I'll have a look around as well.

@Zeroblade: I hear AKGs in general are very laid back? How do they sound compared to Beyerdynamics?

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@HeyItsBattleKid: M50's do sound like a good option so far. By the way, I've never heard the ESW9's before, only the EW9--huge difference because the EW9's were the biggest waste of money ($350 for tinny-sounding clip-ons haha). I like artists such as Pendulum? And I also listen to lots of hard trance.

You can also sell the EW9s and instead of buy ES7s get ESW9s, which are even sweeter
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

@Zeroblade: I hear AKGs in general are very laid back? How do they sound compared to Beyerdynamics?

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to Beyers as of yet
frown.gif

Thinking of picking up a used DT770 250 Ohm 2005 version locally though, I'll let you know how those sound. Or just ask anyone else to chime in about them
smily_headphones1.gif

Another acquaintance also let me have a go with his ESW9's at a mini headphone meet and I'll be damned if they aren't some of the finest portable phones! They really have that punch in the bass, better than the K81/518's, but they don't provide as much isolation as the AKG's since they don't have that strong of a clamp. Thing is they cost like, thrice the price unless you get them used (and even then they go for around 200 USD used).

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 19
Commenting only on headphones I've owned or currently own, and have used in a portable setting:

DT770s are extremely sturdy. Not sure how they could be considered portable though. They are easy to drive if you get the 80ohm version, if that's what you mean. You basically have to carry them around or wear them.

Beyerdynamic DT-231s are sturdy, portable, and in my opinion have enough bass for electronica. They're supra-aural, though, but they have decent isolation. no reason for an amp

Sennheiser PXC-200s actually have a surprising amount of isolation (more than some circumnaural closed headphones), and are even more portable since they fold up. They'd also be a lot easier to find.

HD-25-IIs are an expensive option, but are probably the best overall for portable use as long as you don't need foldable headphones. You could probably find some for 150.

I think the best portable headphones I've ever owned are Etymotic IEMs, but you don't seem to be interested in IEMs from your list. They also don't look expensive, if people even notice them at all they probably would think they were hearing aids.

I have not carried an amp around in years, and all 5 of the headphones I've listed sounded quite good out of my Iaudio X5l, and from the USB soundcard on my laptop.

Funny story: My university library actually had DT231s for their loaner headphones, and in the music wing, so the first few times I took them, they thought I had stolen them.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

@Acix: I've never considered Ultrasones before, but I'll have a look around as well.

Haha, I somehow assumed that the EW9 was a typo as I've never heard of them
tongue.gif

Personally, I've never been one that can "listen" to music and study simultaneously, though music as background is quite welcomed! I like the M50 because they are comfortable and can really play a variety of music quite well. I like the Pendulum sound coming from my M50 and they should still be able to keep up with hard trance, though they won't be "The Best". I just think the M50's bass is a tad boomy on the low, low end, but very realistic for most bassy instruments.

I love the Ultrasone sound, and that would definitely be a great recommendation. Personally, I couldn't find myself using them for study as they are quite forward sounding ("In your face" you could say). By far my favorite headphones for getting me into music, but sometimes (like studying) that may be counter productive. I'm sure you are quite different from myself so take that for what it may be worth. If you do go down the Ultrasone route, finding a good pair of HFI 580 or PRO 550 may be a good idea and certainly in your budget.

ES7 are great phones for their size and anything can drive them. By far the easiest to drive headphone I have ever owned. They can be considered a bassy phone but still have very present mid and highs. And as you said, are quite flashy
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back