Stupid Mac question
Aug 23, 2007 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

boomana

Headphoneus Supremus
First off, I admit I know nothing about computers and don't much care to learn beyond how to do what I want. Here's my situation:

I used to have a PowerBook G4 until it took a drop and bounce across my driveway. I just bought a MacBook Pro to replace it. One of my guilty pleasures is doing the jigsaw puzzle of the day on addictinggames.com. With my new computer, I can't. I just get a white box where my puzzle used to be. I'm assuming I need to download something to get it back, but what?

Thanks for any help.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 20
Do you know what language the program uses for the software? If it's a non-download game, it's likely using Flash or Java to run the thing. You may want to check to see if those are updated.

The Mac updater proactively looks for new Java editions, but you'll have to grab flash from the Macromedia/Adobe website.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 20
Maybe you should link to the game so we can see. If this is played in your browser (Safari, etc.), perhaps you need to install a plugin - say Flash - or try a different browser (Firefox, Opera, etc.).

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 20
The short answer is you can't, without fiddling.

To play Jigsaw of the Day, you need Shockwave Player (the older, heavier predecessor to Flash). Because it's older and not used as much any more, Adobe/Macromedia has not gotten around to porting Shockwave Player to Intel Macs. See here for details:
http://www.adobe.com/go/82216d24

That link gives you instructions for changing your browser to "Rosetta emulation mode", which would let you play the game. Unfortunately, that's not something I recommend, because you have to remember to turn Rosetta emulation mode off afterwards or your browser experience will be slowed down and take up a lot more memory. If you're really addicted to this game, make a copy of Safari, rename it to "Safari (Rosetta)", then follow the instructions given in the link above for the copy. Don't use the copy for general browsing, just for playing the game.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The short answer is you can't, without fiddling.

To play Jigsaw of the Day, you need Shockwave Player (the older, heavier predecessor to Flash). Because it's older and not used as much any more, Adobe/Macromedia has not gotten around to porting Shockwave Player to Intel Macs. See here for details:
http://www.adobe.com/go/82216d24

That link gives you instructions for changing your browser to "Rosetta emulation mode", which would let you play the game. Unfortunately, that's not something I recommend, because you have to remember to turn Rosetta emulation mode off afterwards or your browser experience will be slowed down and take up a lot more memory. If you're really addicted to this game, make a copy of Safari, rename it to "Safari (Rosetta)", then follow the instructions given in the link above for the copy. Don't use the copy for general browsing, just for playing the game.

Thanks, Wodgy. I can live without the jigsaw puzzle, and the fiddling seems more trouble than it's worth for me. Thanks for the info. At least I won't be wondering what I'm doing wrong...which is usually the case.
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it true that the new intel macs don't support shockwave? Will this change in the future?

Well, its the other way around!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Shockwave don't support Intel Mac's. Maybe Adobe don't find Mac's worth it? Huh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back