Sub £50 Headphones For Cycling
Oct 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JonnySayer

Head-Fier
One of my friends asked me to look for some good headphones for under £50 which he can use to bile to and from work with. He didn't want IEM's nor did he want a pair of portable headphones such as the Portapro's, PX100's or PX200's because they aren't 'chunky' enough. He said he likes the look of skullcandies but knows they are terrible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also I know my friend is an idiot.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 12
C'mon Head-Fi! Your normally much quicker than this! XD

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 12
He cycles to work? If he is using the road wouldn't that be illegal to use them while driving (That is how it is here, you have to hear your surroundings not music). Anyways I do not know a particularly good headphone under £50. Honestly for full size cans and riding a bike I would think that the headphone would need a tight clamping force.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 12
It is extremely dangerous to bicycle while listening to music. Your hearing becomes impaired and you cannot focus as well because the music is distracting. I have taken practice math tests while listening to music and no matter what kind of music it was I got a 50 when I would normally get around a 90. Cyclists get hit by cars and trucks all the time and the last thing your friend needs is something taking away his awareness of his surroundings. It is great that your friend bikes to work, but some things just do not mix. I am a biker myself, and I really think my hearing is my most important sense when I am on the road, as I can often hear cars before I see them. I sincerely hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Like I said he is an idiot and I have told him he shouldn't have headphones while cycling but he said wants them to use at work as well as at home. He only lives in a village so cycling isn't too treacherous too his work.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 12
i cycle to work regularly and it does my head in when i see other cyclists wearing headphones or talking on mobiles. I think it does the term 'dumb' an injustice to apply it to these idiots. Tell your friend that he should invest his 50 squid on a blindfold and some charm beads so that they protect him. 

if he wants some headphones for work then he should leave them in the office. 

Did i mention that cycling with headphones is dumb?...

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 12
The thing about cycling to work is you don't want isolating headphones. I use either my Koss Portapros or my ear clip on version, can't recall that model number. The earclip ones get uncomfortable after about 2 hours. The portapros are great and no differint than driving with your stereo on in your car. The Portapros are very open and should serve your friend well and not to many question their sound quality and their comfort is probably the best all around.
Riding with headphones just takes common sense. I see some with iems and that plain scares me. I've ridden all over with my portapros on at a volume that allows me to hear my surroundings as well.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 12
He said he wants some 'chunky' headphones and doesn't want Portapro's (Like I said he is an idiot). I'm just gonna end this post now and tell him to get the Portapro's. Cheers anyway people.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 12
How about you end this thread by telling him not to be a idiot and hurt himself. Riding a bike with music is idiotic, there was a ad in my local newspaper around 5 years ago talking about how the chance increases of you getting hurt are a lot higher. Tell him to try completing a advanced math test with headphones in a limited amount of time, then test him over the same thing (With different problems) without headphones. More than likely he will do better without headphones, this is because you are not distracted by noises. The same thing applies with biking as it does the math test, act like that test is the chance you make it to work safe. Do you want a 90% or 75% chance of making it safely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back