Sub $150 Cans
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wicked.ludicrous

Head-Fier
I've been looking at the 750dj, Denon Ah-NC732, ATH WS70, and the ATH-m50 for some time now, and I'd just like some input as to the comfort of those models. Honestly, my main priority in a headphone is comfort. Sound-wise, I don't need that extra push of bass, so I'm more concerned with the mids and trebles. Having a full bass though would be great. I know the Denons have a reputation of good bass, but what about the other models?
Also, I'd really like to use these headphones for at least 2 years. So durability is a priority as well.
Thanks for the input

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 6
The Koss DJ 100 headphones are reputedly very good under $100. They are $70 or $80. They are reviewed in Skylab's portable headphone roundup and by other people. I would stay away from the M50 as I had them but gladly sold them because they did not sound that great.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 6
DJ100 is such a good deal for the sound you get. Unfortunately a good amp is needed for them at all times or they don't sound good..at all. It's probably one of my favorite headphones ever made and is my perfect sound signature. Vocals on them are some of the best i've heard. Comfort is good as long as you get a good seal. I've upgraded mine with the M30 pads which seems to help the bass a bit. They're build very well and should last a long time.

Another I can suggest is the Shure SRH-440. They're a bit large, but sound good unamped. I've found them a bit bright though. The DJ100 has a lot more bass and sounds far better to my ears.

I'd easily suggest the SRH-840 over the 440 if you can try them in a store and get a good fit and find them comfortable. I didn't.

I'd avoid the 750DJ if you don't need the extra bass. They have a ton of bass and are not that comfortable. The sound signature was VERY fatiguing to my poor ears. The M50 has less bass, but my pair had very recessed mids. Vocals were distant, but I've heard the new white boxed version is much better. I even heard a few say the new version doesn't have enough bass?!

BTW it's the ljokerl portable headphone thread
normal_smile%20.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I will add the JVC HA RX900. It has its own mod thread, with people comparing it to Beyer DT880s and other high end phones when modded. It is currently $100 off of Amazon, but you may be able to get it cheaper. The mods are very easy to do, so that should not put you.

I also think the D1100s look very good as they have been getting very positive reviews. I don't think you have to necessarily use an amp all the time, but I get the impression that a good EQ will do wonder. You just reduce the bass or accent the mids and highs, and the headphone becomes much more balanced while still retaining good bass.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the input
But whichever headphones I get, I won't be using them amped.
So would I be a bad decision to get the Denons in my original post? Of the few pictures I've seen the full headphone, the jack seems to be for amps... Sorry for my use of lowly 'headphone' terms..

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 6
You can get the Denons, it is just my understanding they are better after a little EQ. So basically any DAP and computer would work. 

Regarding the large plug, you can get an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch Grado adapter for $15 0ff of Amazon or Ebay. I use it, and it works perfectly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back