Sub $150 IEMs for regular listening
May 2, 2022 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

zzud

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am looking for an adequate pair of IEMs for myself. I currently own mostly bluetooth stuff like Senn HD4.40 or Technics EAH-AZ70W.
I thought of Etymotics ER2SE but got discouraged by the lack of bass and comfort. I saw Moondrop Aria getting a ton of praise so I got interested in them. Plenty of people call them THE IEM to get for sub $100. I also saw IE100 Pro by Sennheiser but I couldn't find too much info about them.
The question is : Moondrop Aria vs IE100 Pro or do I discard both and look for something else ?

May 2, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 21
What do you like in a headphone - IE are you a bass-head, do you want transparency/separation, are you treble sensitive, etc.? And what types of music do you listen to?

May 2, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 21
I do enjoy some bass but not too much. What I'm looking for in IEMs is the closest thing to a 3d surround sound I could get, preferably with a little bit of bass. I would like to distinguish certain sounds.
I generally listen to experimental (hip-hop, r&b, pop, w/e), synthpop, drone, noise and rock.
I use both Tidal Masters as well as .flac albums.

May 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 21
I do enjoy some bass but not too much. What I'm looking for in IEMs is the closest thing to a 3d surround sound I could get, preferably with a little bit of bass. I would like to distinguish certain sounds.
I generally listen to experimental (hip-hop, r&b, pop, w/e), synthpop, drone, noise and rock.
I use both Tidal Masters as well as .flac albums.
I'd look closely at the moondrop Kato in your price range, can't really comment on the ie100 tho

May 3, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 21
There has been a major shift in what was thought to be the $150 sound abilities. Honestly the TINHIFI P1 MAX Giant Panda planar has blown me away. It’s $160. It’s just super comfortable and well as has a 3D soundstage and totally correct instruments tone and timbre. Another planar with a bigger soundstage is the RAPTGO HOOK-X, though more money at $239.

These two IEMs are equal the sound (previously known) to IEMs in the $1000s. Cheers!

Edit:
I would look into the 7Hz and S12 too, though I have not heard them.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 21
There has been a major shift in what was thought to be the $150 sound abilities. Honestly the TINHIFI P1 MAX Giant Panda planar has blown me away. It’s $160. It’s just super comfortable and well as has a 3D soundstage and totally correct instruments tone and timbre. Another planar with a bigger soundstage is the RAPTGO HOOK-X, though more money at $239.

These two IEMs are equal the sound (previously known) to IEMs in the $1000s. Cheers!

Edit:
I just have to say that I got the P1’s a while back and was not impressed at all with them . I have found a pair of T1 Max Big Panda and all references to Giant Panda leads to you and not TinHiFi Is it you that could have got that wrong ? No worries just wanted to give the right one a shot. Dali fan as well.

May 3, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 21
I just have to say that I got the P1’s a while back and was not impressed at all with them . I have found a pair of T1 Max Big Panda and all references to Giant Panda leads to you and not TinHiFi Is it you that could have got that wrong ? No worries just wanted to give the right one a shot. Dali fan as well.

The P1 Max “Big Panda” just came out a few weeks ago. Here it is:

https://www.tinhifi.com/products/tinhifi-p1-max-official-website-priority-sale

It has a significantly larger planar driver than the original P1.

May 3, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 21

Edit:

I’ve been keeping track of your comments on all of these. I have the Shuoer S12 now after a bit of a misfire with the Muse Power. It’s a fantastic set. There’s a reason it comes up all the time.

Next up for me is probably the Raptgo Hook-X, but the Big Panda does look pretty interesting too. I just don’t know if it’s productive to have both the Panda and the S12. I don’t think anyone here has both at the moment but if someone does, I’d love to hear how they compare.

May 3, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 21
I'm going to order Moondrop Aria and spend the rest on a dac. It's probably going to be Sound Blaster G3 or Fiio BTR3. I'm open to dac suggestions.

I pair my Aria with a HiBy FC3 dongle dac/amp and my iPhone. They sound sound really great together. They’re warm and engaging. Not the most resolving, but I hardly notice that because it’s overall tuning is so pleasant and engaging. The FC3 (or the FC5, which has balanced output) surprised me by how capable it is. It may not be the most feature rich option, but for less than $80US it’s a hell of a good deal.

May 3, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 21
Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 21
Got that they were referred to as the Giant Panda just was wanting to to know if is the same Iem.
I made that same mistake countless times then had to change it in about 5 places in my review. It’s a normal slip. Yes, they are one and the same.

May 3, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 21
I’ve been keeping track of your comments on all of these. I have the Shuoer S12 now after a bit of a misfire with the Muse Power. It’s a fantastic set. There’s a reason it comes up all the time.

Next up for me is probably the Raptgo Hook-X, but the Big Panda does look pretty interesting too. I just don’t know if it’s productive to have both the Panda and the S12. I don’t think anyone here has both at the moment but if someone does, I’d love to hear how they compare.
So you mean you judged the Muse too quickly? I had that happen with the HOOK-X but way more so with the Panda. Next planar IEMs I get I’m just going to burn them in first about 80 hours. Being the S12 and the Panda will be so popular, I’m sure someone will have both.

I myself am truly amazed, as I never expected planar technology to be so cool! But the HOOK-X and Panda graph a little the same but no way do they sound the same. The Panda has a smaller soundstage except that it’s 3D yet cohesive with instrument tone. The bass, as is the transient response, lightning fast.

The HOOK has this giant almost head wrap of a soundstage, yet inside there is nice space between elements. The Panda though comes off maybe slightly brighter, and can get slightly hot if you listen loud and with the wrong tunes. The HOOK is way more forgiving and never really shows any style of hotness. The imaging of music is maybe the biggest difference though? Where the Panda is not congested in anyway, the HOOK has instruments in farther out spaces. The HOOK is probably instantly gratifying but the Panda is super addictive! I could not stop listening to the Panda for days on end.

The emotional part is while I listen I look over at (other) IEMs many times the price and wonder why I even have them?

Though getting the HOOK-X sounds like a winner of an idea. If you ever get the Panda wait for new reviews! IMO

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 21
Haha, that’s amazing as I didn’t know Giant Panda got a name change. It’s the same IEM. Though what is funny is there is two names by the actual manufacturer. Read my review and note the Giant Panda name on the box it came with. Also I am quoting the price of $169, but maybe the regular price is more? I don’t think it says sale price at Linsoul?

What is fascinating too is it came with 2 different aluminum screen designs. One which has actual hexagons, not the shapes they use now? The hexagons were the prototypes sent out.
I made that same mistake countless times then had to change it in about 5 places in my review. It’s a normal slip. Yes, they are one and the same.
So disregard this post. He got the name right. Except mostly it’s known as Giant Panda.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back