Sub- $400 DAC/Amp That Pairs Well With HE-400
Apr 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Pseudoflowers

New Head-Fier
I plan on purchasing the HE-400 soon, and I'm wondering which DAC/Amp combination complements its sound well. This is going to be strictly for home use, so if it is possible to buy a separate DAC and amp at this price point it's fine to suggest that as well. I definitely don't want the quality of the mids to be compromised, and I'd like clean and powerful bass. I don't want them to be made excessively bright, either. It also needs to have USB input. Thanks!

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I have been looking for the same. And have asked this same question. The he400 is a funny pickle. It's very efficient for a planar and can run on about anything. Your curiosity is the same as mine I think. Will it scale up nicely if we spend more money. The answer is, I really don't know. 

This is what I'm looking at: 

*Audio GD 12 and 5
*Matrix M Stage amp/dac

I currently have the he400's on a fiio e10 :frowning2: 

I had them on a compass and they sounded better. I just not willing and able to do the lyr and bifrost or other expensive dac.

Let me know what you find out.

thanks...and good luck!!

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 13
also thinking about getting an HE-400. I have an Alpen right now which is pretty good. Was thinking of trying to get something dedicated. 

What about the O2 + ODAC (come late May)? Anyone considering that? It should be around that price range I think...

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 13
That is looking like an interesting combo to me also. Did I read correctly that there would be a dac/amp combo in one enclosure? Anything about pricing?

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
That is looking like an interesting combo to me also. Did I read correctly that there would be a dac/amp combo in one enclosure? Anything about pricing?

Yeah about the one enclosure thing. JDS is definitely going to offer it beginning sometime in the end of May. You can check their blog to find out. They don't have pricing up yet as they are still about a month away from actually being to offer it. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Definitely cheaper than going with something like the Lyr + BiFrost anyhow.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I currently have the he400's on a fiio e10 :frowning2: 

Well I just compared HE-500 with DacMagic 100 + O2 combo against Fiio E10. There was no obvious difference. E10 started clipping high gain at 5, but that's expected.. it had more than enough volume for casual listening at that point.

I might be a deaf objectivist but yeah whatever.. :) Nothing warrants a sad face there.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Well that's definitely encouraging. I'll probably wait to see how much the O2+ ODAC is, but if it's more than $250 I'll go with the Fiio. $400 is definitely stretching my amp/DAC budget, especially right now.
I really wish the Fiio had a 6.35mm TRS out, though. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Well that's definitely encouraging. I'll probably wait to see how much the O2+ ODAC is, but if it's more than $250 I'll go with the Fiio. $400 is definitely stretching my amp/DAC budget, especially right now.
I really wish the Fiio had a 6.35mm TRS out, though. 

Did you see this:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=39

Looks like the preassembled O2+ODAC combo is going for around $289 + shipping. I was hoping for <$250 as well.

May 10, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
But will the O2 + ODAC be a good combo for the He-400?

Why wouldn't they be? Perfectly engineered with more power than really needed. Of course no one has "heard" ODAC yet, but there is no reason to assume it won't be as good as O2. It's not like there is something to "hear" in transparent gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back