Suggestion: Can Head-Fi Require Timestamps For Classifieds?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2023 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Aeonyx

Previously known as spaceduck107
Hi there,

So I've noticed like many of us, an increase in scam attempts in the classifieds. 2FA was a good idea, but there has been an influx of listings from people using product photos from other websites in attempt to scam Head-Fi users. Over on Reddit, r/AVExchange requires a timestamp for all listings, and that seems to work quite well.

2FA is great, but if someone's account is hacked successfully, anyone can add 2FA. Timestamps however are more difficult to fake in a convincing manner, although not impossible.

Just a suggestion, but I do believe that would be a great way to further protect Head-Fi users.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 4
I think timestamps are a great idea. I was just recently scammed here buying a Schiit Bifrost 2/64. Looks like things will work out with the Paypal dispute, but what a pain in the butt.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 4
I think timestamps are a great idea. I was just recently scammed here buying a Schiit Bifrost 2/64. Looks like things will work out with the Paypal dispute, but what a pain in the butt.
Yeah, I ask for a timestamp with everything I purchase. There's few reasons why a seller wouldn't provide one, so it's sort of a no-brainer for me.

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Since Head-Fi does not require images to create a listing on Head-Fi Classifieds, we do not require timestamps for the images that are uploaded. Many sellers will provide timestamped images when requested.

When I'm buying second-hand gear online, I often request additional photos from a seller to highlight potential blemishes/problem areas and to confirm that the condition matches their description. This also doubles as a way to verify that the seller has the item in-hand and ready to sell. Those interested in timestamps could consider doing both at the same time to cover multiple bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back