Suggestions for comfy $100 phones? Looking at Senn HD-555.
Feb 3, 2006 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tostada

New Head-Fier
I'm no major audiophile. I spend long stretches working with my computer listening to Shoutcast. I just rebuilt my computer and got a case with a phone jack on the front, so I plugged in my Sony vertical phones that I use to work out, and decided I really like using phones on my computer, but they get seriously uncomfortable after awhile.

So I'm looking for something that I can wear for several hours. It would be a waste to spend more than $100 on something that I'm just plugging into my computer without an amp. I'm thinking some regular circumaural cans are the way to go. Usually I can just Google around a bit and look at some Amazon reviews before buying something, but I'm pretty overwhelmed this time.

I listen to a lot of techno, but also some classical, new age, rock, industrial, and sometimes I'll just listen to comedy albums. Comfort is my real priority here. I have a relatively large head, but it's not some massive spherical melon. On my cheap little adjustable Sonys, I don't have to extend them all the way out to fit.

They don't need to be closed. The privacy would make them more useful in different situations, but I don't think open cans are going to keep the neighbors up when I'm on the computer at 3:00am. I also have an iPod Nano that I might want to use them with, but they're really for the computer.

Senn HD-555s look pretty comfortable. They're $102 on compuplus.com. That looks like just about the best deal I'm going to get. The 50 ohms will be probably be OK for the computer, but questionable with the iPod. The 1/4" jack would also make them more awkward to use with a Nano.

Senn HD-485s are only $80 on Amazon. These things look a little goofy to me, but I'd get them if they were as good as the 555s. I'm assuming they're not, though. The 32 ohms and 1/8" jack make them better for the iPod, but that's not enough of a priority to sell me on them if they're significantly worse than other phones.

Senn HD-280s are $100 on Amazon, $93 on Froogle at Abe's of Maine. The reviewers on Amazon say they're great, but they tend to gush about all the headphones over $50. I have no real way to form an opinion on these other than to say "280 is lower then 555 so I should get the 555s" which is probably not the best form of analysis.

Audio-Technica ATH-A500s are $99 on audiocubes.com. These and the HD-555s both have a list price of $200 (then again, so do the HD-280s), so it seems like a pretty good deal. They both are pretty highly recommended from what I've seen. The headband on these is strange looking, but it looks like it's actually metal and would be easy to bend for the perfect fit. I'm not so sure about the plastic headband on the HD-555s. The 53mm driver is bigger than most. These look like they're 64 ohms (the site says "Impedence: 64Ω"), which might be too much.

I was actually just about to buy the Sony V600s on Amazon for $72. Those look really comfortable. They have a ton of great reviews about how comfortable and durable they are, but then I see people saying that the Sony 7506s are a million times better for $99. Then if I look at the 7506s, people say the V6s are the exact same thing but cheaper. Tons of people say these cheap Sonys are what pro studios use, but I come here and they're not even mentioned, so maybe they suck.

If I think about it any longer, I'll probably end up saying "F it" and picking up the $20 Philips ones at Target.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tostada
...picking up the $20 Philips ones at Target...

I have the $20 target Philips and the HD555. For the love of all things sacred, please don't settle for the Philips. They're awful.

The HD555 are indeed very comfortable, sonically and physically. I can listen to them for hours and hours. The only tradeoff is that they're a bit too polite to really rock hard.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 17
when i was looking for cans ppl suggested either go for a500/900 for unamped or the dt770/880 for amp. although i have a cmoy i wanted something that i could go without so natutally i went with the a500. I got them from audiocubes. I let you know how they feel on my large oval head when then come in.

I highly recommend the ksc-75 for 15 bucks or so you cant go wrong. Once you have these you can pretty much base all other headphones that you listen to in the future as better or worse. The earclips feel like your wearing glasses so if you already wear a pair or can wear sunglasses for long periods they shouldnt be a prob. They sound great for use without an amp.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 17
You can't go wrong with the triple nickles. Comfort and sound, amp'd or unamp'd, they can be driven with the shuffle, nano, 5G, iRiver H320, or PC.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 17
PS
If you decide to go the 555 route, get the "Grado quarter to eighth inch plug Adapter"

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 17
555 or a500 would suit your comfort needs in your home setup. both will run fine from ipod too

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echopac
PS
If you decide to go the 555 route, get the "Grado quarter to eighth inch plug Adapter"

Yeah that'd be good idea, sennheiser also sells a similar flexible adapter for $5 at their website.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 17
I was also encouraged to get the triple 5's, and I can say that they deliver the goods.

You can't go wrong with the HD 555; extremely comfortable and excellent sound for the price.

The velour ear pads don't make your ears heat up that bad as well, compared to pleather.

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for all the replies.

ZipZoomFly has the 555s for $112 with free 2-day delivery, so I think I'll try them first. I know it's stupid for me not to find a place that actually has them to try on first, but you guys make them seem like a pretty safe bet.

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 17
the 555 is pretty comfortable. the SA1k is also darn comfortable, better than the 555 i'd say....but i think the 555 is still a more superior phone
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tostada
Thanks for all the replies.

ZipZoomFly has the 555s for $112 with free 2-day delivery, so I think I'll try them first. I know it's stupid for me not to find a place that actually has them to try on first, but you guys make them seem like a pretty safe bet.

I paid 180$ for them from Tweeter...
eek.gif

I returned them and will pick them up online, they were comfy and ran well out of my iPod.
580smile.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 17
I find that open heaphones are not ideal when I'm running my computer. Maybe my computer fans are just louder than yours, but I do notice and appreciate when they aren't on. A lot of closed cans are isolated, but not so isolated that a spouse or coworker can't get your attention.

Of course, that open cans and computers thing is just a bizarre personal preference of mine - shared by very few.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 17
My new build's fans are so damn loud i wear my ety's while im on it! lol (thanks a lot to Vantec and Thermaltake lol)

But, actually, if you search the forums you'll find a lot of great reveiws for the V6/V7506. I still think about getting them every time the paycheck comes in, but my home setup is good for now and my Zen micro needs cans soon instead.(im gonna go to bed now cause its 3:30 in the morning and it took me like 10 min to type that last sentence. LMAO)

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 17
MS1 perhaps? It uses comfey pads and not the pain inducing bowls.
Get the 1/8 option and use and adapt it to 1/4 as needed.

Will excel at a lot of things, but classical might leave you wanting more.

Garrett

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 17
My computer isn't that loud. I've got an overclocked X2 right next to an overclocked Sempron 64, but they have quiet fans. Seasonic PSU, 120mm case fan, passive GeForce 6600 in the main one. Enermax NoiseTaker, 120mm case fan, GeForce 4 Ti4200 that I just yanked the fan off of (I don't even use it for 3D so it's not getting hot) in the other one.

I'm no hardcore gamer. It's not like I've got SLI leafblowers next to my head. The only reason I even got the GF6600 was because I had to get a PCI-E card for my new motherboard.

You guys sound like you might be better off putting your computer in another room and using KVM extensions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back