Suggestions on Full Size Headphone around 300$
Dec 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AUserName

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some advice on a pair of headphones around 300$ or less.  I will primarily use them at my desk at work (software dev). The people in the adjacent cubes aren't cool with playing music over the jambox or laptop speakers so I'm not entirely sure a pair of open/semi open would fit the bill.  So I've been going back and forth between open/semi open or closed.

I've owned a pair of older lower end Sennheiser headphones, and currently I own a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro earphones.
However, I don't like having to deal with putting them back into my ears everytime a colleague wants to ask me questions etc.
As a result I'm now in the market for a new set of headphones.  I'm primarily using my cell phone or portable media player to listen currently.  However in the future I'm going to purchase a headphone amp.  I'm open to spending a similar amount for the amp approx 300$ or less.

I've been looking at a few models: Sennheiser HD598, Ultrasone HFI-680/780, Audio Technica M50, etc.
So any feedback on suggested models and where to get the best price would be most appreciated.

Oh I should also note that I listen to a fairly wide array of music.  Electronic, punk, metal, thrash, hip hop, etc.  Not much country and only occasional classic. 

Finally I'm not apposed to spending slightly more if the extra 50-100$ is going to make a significant difference in quality.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

You'll need to go fully closed back to keep isolation, otherwise, they will hear you just like a pair of computer speakers at low volume on the desk.

I would suggest  you consider:

Beyer Custom One Pro
AKG K167
Ultrasone HFI 780
AudioTechnica A900X
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs

As for an amp, keep it portable and simple maybe, like a Fiio E11 or JDS CMOY.

Very best,

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Ah I was just reading on the Beyer Custom One Pro.  If you had to rank those in order of preference for the music I listened what would your ranking look like?  Also any suggestions on places to get them cheaply?  I know the Ultrasone are fairly cheap on amazon.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Ended up buying a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom One headphones off ebay for 150$.  Couldn't seem to find a much better deal.  
Now I'm curious how those compare to the other headphones mentioned?

I was considering ordering another pair next week.  
What would be a good comparison out of the below?

AKG K167
Ultrasone HFI 780
AudioTechnica A900X
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back