Super Fi with iPhone; Re-Cable or switch? iPhone Software
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oxide7

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I've read here for years but this is my first post. I have a minor dilemma with my headphones and my new iPhone 4.

I've been using my laptop (Sony Z with iZotope DSP) for a while with some Sony V900HD's. This has been adequate considering i have a wife and kids and can't overtly splurge on personal audio.

Anyway now I've got an iPhone and need to get some portable headphpones. I have some Super Fi 5's that have been in my drawer because the cheap cable broke. So i need to replace them but the only thing i can find with a mic+volume control is this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Euphoria-Ultimate-Ears-Compatible-Cables-Iphones-/270661940932?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f04b576c4

which is nearly $100.

So a few questions:
1. Are there any cheaper alternatives that can give me the controls i want?
2. I would want my super fi's working but is the iPhone even a good enough source to merit me using them again? It could be a better "experience" to get some cheaper consumer level headphones that overly emphasize bass or something if the iPhone source is horrible. I am using my v900's on them now to test -- seems clear enough but not terribly powerful if you know what i mean.

And as an aside if anyone cares to answer
1. How to v900s stack up. I haven't had a good source to try them on since the pre-X-Fi soundcard days
2. is there any software i can get on the iPhone to improve the sound (like iZotope for the PC). The built in EQ is quite lacking

Ok -- that's a mouthful but thank you in advance!

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 2
The iPhone is a descent source, its not the best but I think reasonably good and you can always get a LOD cable and hookup an external amp if you want it to sound better.
There is a very good equalizer app out there which doesn't distort and will help with the SQ, check it out here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529691/review-equ-parametric-eq-for-the-ipodtouch-iphone-ipad

As for the cables, the UE TripleFi 10vi cables with a built in mic should work and is half that price on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back