Superlux HD-330 vs HD-681 Evo
Mar 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

krist2an

New Head-Fier
I can't decide between the two. Currently I'm using the HD-681's, and even though they sound great, the harsh highs still bother me (EQing does help, but not enough I guess). Plus, I do like warm-sounding headphones more. So after reading some positive reviews about the HD-330, I was almost ready to order them, but now Thomann has the new HD-681 EVO listed and they cost the same, 27€ both. First reviews suggest that the Evo is an improvement over the original ones. So I'm torn between the two... I guess the HD-330 might offer superior sound quality, especially when listening to rock, but the 150 ohm rating means that I most probably need an amp. I wouldn't need an amp with the Evo, though. So any thoughts? Is an amp really necessary for the HD-330?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Are you going to connect them to your portable player or computer?
Both, actually. Most people say that you do need an amp for the HD-330 but some say that they're fine even without one. I'm really stuck between the two, because if the new Evo offers almost the same sound quality without requiring an amp, I'd take that.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 13
I owned a pair of HD681's, but they died after some abuse. Yesterday I received a pair of the HD681 EVO headphones, and they are definitely a substantial improvement. The comfort, which was a bit of an issue for me with the old model, has definitely improved substantially.

I have neither quantitative data not a side-by-side comparison to speak to the sound quality, and I don't trust myself to reliably remember the nuances of the HD681's sound, but I certainly feel like the treble has mellowed a bit.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 13
Okay, thanks everybody. I've ordered the HD-330 and I should receive it soon, plus I ordered a small DAC/amp combo from Ebay, so I'll soon find out how it actually sounds. If I like it, I'll keep it. The Evo is still out of stock in Thomann.de, so I won't be able to try them anytime soon.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm mostly listening to rap music you think 330 or 681 EVO will be better? I need to compare them both not 681b. My music card is realtek ALC-892 so meaby take low ohms EVO?

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 13
@sebujan Thanks! I will wait until may when evo will be in shop. I haven't money on amp now so i think it's unprofitable. Already i got Senn. HD201 so i think difference between sound will be really huge. But bass is really worse? I'm new into sound and I'm a bit confused now but I think I will wait month for evo.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 13
My HD 330 left side doesnt have white thing around the speaker. right side has it i can see white when see through thin foam but left side is black and i can see few grooves. Is it something that i need to be worried or that white film is just for looks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back