Superlux HMD-660e first impression (and testing)(might be similar to HD660)
Nov 8, 2017 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IkuMiku96

New Head-Fier
My Superlux HMD-660e just arrived today now actually wearing it.
Bought from a direct supplier (Malaysia branch) that sourced directly from Superlux for around USD 12 (80% discount right now so i bought it)

I suppose the HMD-660 is literally Superlux HD 660 with a dynamic mic.
I owned Superlux HD681 (with velour pad and tissue filter mod, no razor blade sound) to compare with this.

I will post a review in Head-Fi later after a few days but these are my first impression of the headset.

Looks like Sennheiser DT770 with a mic lol~

I suppose this uses 150Ohm (same as HD 660) but weird, because this headset seems louder than my HD681. was a bit frustrating to play with my Sony Xperia A2 (or Z1 Compact) that the volume was a bit low with HD681 but HMD660e seems fine (still at 100% though).
I dont have any amplifier except my Home theater with 1/4" headphone jack (havent test with it yet) so the sound may be better with amp. but i can say that using my pc in board headphone jack sounds less harsh than using my phone.
(will try my Galaxy SIII with Boeffla kernel mode, cuz, that can run heavy headphone apparently)
[update]Tried my home theater amp via 1/4" jack, although the volume is the same, the sounds quality seems improve a lot. more detail and better bass response

[mic impression is after the sound impression, just scroll down to skip]

Basically, this is more 'boring' than my HD681. the sound signature is less dynamic than my HD681.

The bass response, is rather weak compared to HD681. but the body is still there (less punchy) and clean indeed.

Somehow, is rather a little bit bright than my HD681 but i did tissue mod to my HD681 so based on the HD 660 review, would be less bright than HD681 unmodified.

Mid is a bit better than my HD681 but a tad harsh in upper mid, maybe due to being bright?

Soundstage, not comparable to my HD681 but pretty good. Sound imaging is good (or even better than my HD681?). But this is closed can compared to my HD681 so i guess is naturally like that?

Comfort wise, truthly, is less comfort than my HD681, i do still remember how strong my HD681 clamping force was but this is even tighter. The pad's skin is soft, like the Sony pads (similar to Sony MDR-7509) but the sponge inside the pad is rather stiff.
Build quality, i would say, feels cheaper than my HD681. But the metal hinge on this headphone seems robust and looks nice with the aluminium brush. (just noticed the label strip on the right earcup is loose

Mic impression,
I MUST use 30dB and at 100% mic level. if i dont use mic boost, my friend cant even hear me. i guess this need a power amp or Phantom power. the 660x ver uses XLR connector which may need Phantom power i bet the mic is the same with 660e so yeah, still need power. but surprisingly with all mic boost, the sound quality is above average.
less sibilance and rather balance overall. i will try music recording later (despite of a headset mic) for quality comparison.
the foam attached to the mic seems tight and i bet the foam will tear off if i try to remove it. weird.

i do noticed that Superlux HMD660e has very few review so i posted this for a quick impression of this heatset.
i dont really know if the HMD660's sound quality is similar to HD660 i did read one of a blog said that the sound is pretty similar so i take that word.

(if you need pictures, let me know~)
(and hey, if you own this and possibly HD660 too, please share your experience~)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 5
With the superlux 660, once you upgrade the headband and pads to 770v, its almost the price of a real dt770 with its dropping prices. I've seen plenty open boxes under 99US. Might as well save up for a 770, unless ofc you're getting sennheiser hd660s level performance. But seems like a longshot, hopefully someone does compare though it would be an odd couple lol

Now there is superlux 660, hd660, dt 660. Maybe they were afraid to call it 666

satan-gif-13.gif

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 5
With the superlux 660, once you upgrade the headband and pads to 770v, its almost the price of a real dt770 with its dropping prices. I've seen plenty open boxes under 99US. Might as well save up for a 770, unless ofc you're getting sennheiser hd660s level performance. But seems like a longshot, hopefully someone does compare though it would be an odd couple lol
Is kinda a debate for me to either spend more money to the headband and especially the pads to this headphone (especially considering the price i bought to ratio of the pads and a headband) but kinda worth the sound. (of course if the price will ended up like the real DT770 with dropped price, i would rather to get the "legit" stuff, not that i hate this headset but yeah, kinda imitate the DT770)
I will save up money to try more headphones~ Many variaty of headphones just interests me to try and feel. really wonder how's the Sennheiser HD660s since that headphone seems like everyone's talking now, hope will be available as a demo test locally here~
why not, right? i mean, even with differences with the price tag, sound is sound and is different to all headphones~ though still would be based on personal taste after all.

Now there is superlux 660, hd660, dt 660. Maybe they were afraid to call it 666

satan-gif-13.gif
Lol~ all the sixes~ did wondered me XD

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Just noticed that the earcups may induce some kind of resonances. tried to cover the earcups (not to push it but just covered my hand on it), somewhat a bit better and a little bit pleasant to listen. (though is kinda expected given that the earcups are like hollowed plastic)

i did said that this is a bit "boring" compared to my HD681 right? i may need to take that words back. after listened carefully (and with my home theater amp), im quite surprised to compare side-by-side to my HD681 that this headset may even sound a bit better and more pleasurable. the bass feels solid, the mids is even more enjoyable and the highs are great with a touch of fine detail, less harsh to my HD681. i bet with a damping to the earcups, this would be even sound better.
(but then again, is a minor modded HD681 to be compared with. if i put stock pads on the HD681, the bass will be more)
overall, the headset sounds balance, the dynamic of it feels right.

though, the center sound feels like right in between my eyeballs or just a bit forward but towards the side feels just fine. my HD681's center sound would be more further but then maybe i did angled mod to it as well (i need angled pad badly!). maybe i should try angled pads or some mods to this headsets but this headset is rather stiff to earcup twists. will try anyways.

[update] This headset seems to hate moving air outside the earcups. i have a fan blowing from left side to me and even if the headset do isolate the fan sound, the fan blowing to the earcups seems to sounds as if i were hearing winds blowing to my ears. basically, this headset somehow amplifies wind sound and i dont hear this with my HD681. so, i wont recommend to wear this while sitting at where winds blow to you.

[update2] this is my personal comment but somehow kinda hit me. I tried my friend's ATH-M40x. Is indeed a great headphone, pretty much flat although bit bright but one thing i do hate it, feels less airy, feels tight (soundly cramped), which made me dislike closed-can headphone but of course i tried MDR-Z1R and was surprised with how spacey it was.
Mainly i bought this headset for its price but, somehow this headset is very airy despite it is closed-can headphone. This headset feels like as if this is open-can but still isolates sound.
Not that im recommending this over ATH-M40x and more of personal taste but this just makes me prefer this headset than the M40x. To me, M40x feels a bit less spacy than this cheap cans.
I dont know, maybe the can size effects this? But for sure, headphones are unique.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Is kinda a debate for me to either spend more money to the headband and especially the pads to this headphone (especially considering the price i bought to ratio of the pads and a headband) but kinda worth the sound. (of course if the price will ended up like the real DT770 with dropped price, i would rather to get the "legit" stuff, not that i hate this headset but yeah, kinda imitate the DT770)
I will save up money to try more headphones~ Many variaty of headphones just interests me to try and feel. really wonder how's the Sennheiser HD660s since that headphone seems like everyone's talking now, hope will be available as a demo test locally here~
why not, right? i mean, even with differences with the price tag, sound is sound and is different to all headphones~ though still would be based on personal taste after all.

Lol~ all the sixes~ did wondered me XD

There are so many headphones out there under <$200 its overwhelming. I made enough mistakes trying to figure out what i wanted. That is the fun bit and the darkside of this hobby. BUt the great thing is there are so many safe "tried and tested" models which can be had for much cheaper than a year or two ago due to all the new models coming out. It wasn't until I watched all the reviews I could, articles, and actually going to a hifi-show that i felt more confident in my choices. Hearing the best out there helped my head from overthinking and wondering what is out there??? Though i still wonder about the unobtanium types, which boggles my mind.
x-files-the-truth-is-out-there-animated-gif.gif

Also not panicking when they didn't fit good right away, knowing there were pad options out there, keeping in mind break-in of the headband/pads etc, and :p burn-in :p , though i have faith in art of EQ'ing. I think the key at the end of the day is mental stability :D and having fun with the hobby (which is surprisingly difficult at times!) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back