SuperMacro v.3 Op-amp Comparisons/Review
Jun 29, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #47 of 60
Is there anyone who tried to solder 4XBUF634's onto SM3? A guy reported back that he got great results from this treak - more refined high, more controled bass, better seperation and bigger soundstage. I can't help from trying it out but need some tips on how to make it. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #48 of 60
Very nice comparo, I think those impressions can be translated to other amps as well. I'm borrowing my friend's SMV1 right now with the big caps/switches/627opamp/3xbuffer options. It's very handy to have an impedance switch for my KSC35, and the bass boost is a must at all times I agree. I leave the gain and crossfeed off. Compared to the SR71 this amp has less "airiness" - it's like a straightforward workhorse that powers the tunes to my head, not a bad idea when I'm outside with all the ambient noise.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Very nice comparo, I think those impressions can be translated to other amps as well. I'm borrowing my friend's SMV1 right now with the big caps/switches/627opamp/3xbuffer options. It's very handy to have an impedance switch for my KSC35, and the bass boost is a must at all times I agree. I leave the gain and crossfeed off. Compared to the SR71 this amp has less "airiness" - it's like a straightforward workhorse that powers the tunes to my head, not a bad idea when I'm outside with all the ambient noise.

I think AD797 used in SR71 may be giving the "airy" feel, so try the AD797 in SM v.1 and see what happens. Better yet, roll in some AD744 in class A, though I'm not sure if SM v.1 can accept these. You want air? You get SPACE Odyssey
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #50 of 60
confused.gif
I'm a little confused with the insertion of the adapter (i.e., NE5534-OB) for easy Class A biasing. Do you have to simply plug these into the existing slots and then plug the opamps over them OR do you have to take the existing slot outs and replace them with the adapter and then insert the opamps? I'm hoping the former. It would seem a little much to permanently set it up for class A biasing.

And do you get two for 19.99 from Xin or do you buy two?

Thanks

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyButt
confused.gif
I'm a little confused with the insertion of the adapter (i.e., NE5534-OB) for easy Class A biasing. Do you have to simply plug these into the existing slots and then plug the opamps over them OR do you have to take the existing slot outs and replace them with the adapter and then insert the opamps? I'm hoping the former. It would seem a little much to permanently set it up for class A biasing.

And do you get two for 19.99 from Xin or do you buy two?

Thanks

The adapters just plug into the existing sockets. I personally believe less adapters/contacts the better, not to mention I'm too cheap to buy these adapters. Seriously, once you hear the class A version of these op-amps (AD744, NE/SA5534, AD829), you won't see the need to undo the class A biasing. I've now plugged/unplugged the class A AD744 more than ten times, and there are no problems with the bent pins, etc. Just use gentle hands and steady, balanced hand on the forceps, etc.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #52 of 60
I rolled amps today and do like the sound of the NE5534 with output bypassed - a lot.

When Xin first sent the V3 to me the amp had these installed and I was impressed. Since my comparison at the time was between the v1 and v3, it was hard to tell what was causing the better sound charactersitics - the opamps or the whole unit itself.

Anyway, I also had the 627s so they were rolled into the unit to give them a try. I had high hopes for them based on the postings. Although the 627s were around when when the SM v1 was in my possession, I was too chicken to roll the opamps so they were never tested. Right off the bat after listening to the the class A biased opamps, I wasn't too impressed with the 627s. It was a new SM so I figured some burn in time was required before making a judgment.

Today I rolled the opamps again by inserting the 5534s and went for a long walk with my iPod and the E4c's. Result: I found these inexpensive opamps were very good once again. They are able to deliver well across the board, including a strong bass. But the main thing that I liked compared to the 627s is that airy sense they have to them. That is a great characteristic and very luring.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the sound of the 627s as well but the NE5534 takes the cake. I think its due to the class A bias. Which means I have to get the 744s and let them do their trick . . .
cool.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyButt
I rolled amps today and do like the sound of the NE5534 with output bypassed - a lot.

When Xin first sent the V3 to me the amp had these installed and I was impressed. Since my comparison at the time was between the v1 and v3, it was hard to tell what was causing the better sound charactersitics - the opamps or the whole unit itself.

Anyway, I also had the 627s so they were rolled into the unit to give them a try. I had high hopes for them based on the postings. Although the 627s were around when when the SM v1 was in my possession, I was too chicken to roll the opamps so they were never tested. Right off the bat after listening to the the class A biased opamps, I wasn't too impressed with the 627s. It was a new SM so I figured some burn in time was required before making a judgment.

Today I rolled the opamps again by inserting the 5534s and went for a long walk with my iPod and the E4c's. Result: I found these inexpensive opamps were very good once again. They are able to deliver well across the board, including a strong bass. But the main thing that I liked compared to the 627s is that airy sense they have to them. That is a great characteristic and very luring.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the sound of the 627s as well but the NE5534 takes the cake. I think its due to the class A bias. Which means I have to get the 744s and let them do their trick . . .
cool.gif

When you order AD744, don't forget to order AD829 and AD743 also to experiment. AD829 in class A may do the trick for some folks as well. I probably wouldn't use AD744 A for most portable canalphones like my Ety's since AD744 A so high resolution, it'll show you every flaw of your recording/canalphones.

Also, consider ordering some different 5534 op-amps. The JRC 5534 Xin includes stock are considered the worst of the lot. Try some ON NE5534 or SE/SA5534 in class A if you can for portable use for their more forgiving character and warmer bass. It's ALL good..

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Jon L, have you tried the ad843? wonder how it compares with your faves

It's on the plate later, but at this point, I'm pretty much not expecting any op-amp not class A biased to dethrone AD744 class A for my home 'phones.

I need to ask Xin how exactly (which resistor value, etc, which pins) to force OPA 627/637 into class A. This might have a fighting chance with AD744 class A.

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #56 of 60
Jon L

Thanks for your recommedations. I do use the SMv3 for both portable (Shure E4c) and home (Senn 650s, A900s) so I'll have find an opamp that works best with both configs.

When I order the adapter from Xin, do I need to buy 2 or do you get two for $19.99?

Thanks

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #58 of 60
Which opamps match the 50ohm senn HD555s and595s best? best balance with the least weakness. good rhythm and pace, dynamics, detail, and musicality.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #59 of 60
I have resurrected my Supermacro 3 with OPA627s and am enjoying it immensely with an iBasso DX50...

Anyone else still use theirs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back