Surround Sound Headphones, Do they Exist?
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Superma

New Head-Fier
I'm a noob at this whole headphone thing, but I was wondering if there are any surround sound headphones out there? Because I heard that the Man of Steel Soundtrack had used the Headphone X from DTS which created a "3D Virtual Surround Sound" stuff. And I did some searching and found out that there is a headphone called Ultrasone HFI-780 S- Logic Surround Sound Pro Headphones, and when I see the reviews, it seems that the customers have not included anything about the surround sound feature. So now I'm wondering if there are any good surround sound headphones in the market besides those gaming ones. (By the way, I'm a Beats owner however I'm not very proud of it because of some of the other people who wear it, but I thought it was good compared to Harmon Kardons.) 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Most surround sound headphones don't reproduce real surround sound, they recreate a virtual surround sound effect as best they can with two drivers. There are some headphones with multiple drivers per cup, such as the Tiamat 7.1, which I own. These have ten individual drivers, five in each cup to reproduce true surround sound. However, though great for gaming and watching movies, they are simply not cut out for acceptable music reproduction and I would advise you to ignore them altogether if that's what you're after. 5 drivers in 1 cup makes for 5 small, cheap drivers. As far as I know all "true surround sound" headphones at the moment are designed and marketed as gaming headsets.

It has been my experience that as far as surround sound is concerned, you're better off sticking to speakers.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Most surround sound headphones don't reproduce real surround sound, they merely recreate the effect as best they can with 2 drivers. Some do have a number of drivers in each cup, for example, I own the Tiamat 7.1, with 10 individual drivers to reproduce true surround sound. However, though great for gaming and watching movies, they are simply not cut out for acceptable music reproduction and I would advise you to ignore them altogether if that's what you're after. 5 drivers in 1 cup makes for 5 small, cheap drivers.

It has been my experience that as far as surround sound is concerned, you're better off sticking to speakers.

I agree with this, most "surround sound" headphones for gaming and movies are pretty gimmicky to how good they sound. Sure you can change the sound to "trick" your ears into thinking it's coming from different directions, but unless its actually coming from different directions you won't get an amazing experience.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 10
You can use the free Razer Synapse software to create a virtual surround using stereo headphones.
http://www.razerzone.com/surround

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I'm a noob at this whole headphone thing, but I was wondering if there are any surround sound headphones out there? Because I heard that the Man of Steel Soundtrack had used the Headphone X from DTS which created a "3D Virtual Surround Sound" stuff. And I did some searching and found out that there is a headphone called Ultrasone HFI-780 S- Logic Surround Sound Pro Headphones, and when I see the reviews, it seems that the customers have not included anything about the surround sound feature. So now I'm wondering if there are any good surround sound headphones in the market besides those gaming ones. (By the way, I'm a Beats owner however I'm not very proud of it because of some of the other people who wear it, but I thought it was good compared to Harmon Kardons.) 

It's usually better to get good sounding stereo headphones and get something that will pre-process surround sound audio 5.1 (6-channel) or 7.1 (8-channel) and send that Headphone surround sound audio (2-channel) to the "quality" stereo headphones.

We have only two ears (2-channel).
Someone figured out how our two ears process audio and designed stuff to make our ears think we are hearing audio from 6 or 8 channels (when it's only 2-channels coming from headphones).

DTS X is very new, not sure you can buy hardware for it yet.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 10
From my experience that software greatly reduces sound quality and causes crackling... Maybe it's just my headphones but I tried several pairs.
Make sure to turn off the audio enhancements. I don't know why they have them on by default. It just sounds weird. Not sure where crackling can come from though.

I like the HRTF calibration. I wanted that from my TiHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back