Susvara // Setup Ferrum vs Schiit vs RME
Feb 26, 2023 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Psylacus

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, looking at buying a paid of Susvara headphones and after doing a lot of research I have boiled it down to a few set up options.
The problem here is finding anyone who has set up something difference or could parse which on they would lean towards.

This is as close to end game audio as I get so I am trying to pull out the stops for this one. I realize audio is a personal experience but considering I can't actually try any of these solutions. Well, here we are and asking this active community :) Generally I like sound accurate where I can play around with the EQ a bit. I am not a bass head. Although I love good bass, I tend to prefer accuracy and being able to hear subtle nuances. My range of music taste is vast, going from Lofi/Jazz/Classical to EDM and the like. Anyway hope this kind of gives a rough view of my musical world.

Listening Set up - Desktop PC // I do have a sound card but obviously don't want to rely on it (Creative Labs AE9)
Susvara headphones.

1. Setup - Susvara - OOR Ferrum / Hypsos Ferrum / RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max (Probably Won't Need it RME digital EQ)
  2. Setup - Susvara - OOR Ferrum / Hypsos Ferrum / Yyddrasil+ / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max
  3. Setup - Susvara - Schiit Lyr + Premium Tube / Freya+ Premium Matched Tubes / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max
    • Fear here is this enough power to open up these hard to drive headphones?
  4. Setup - Susvara - Ragnorok 2 Fully Loaded (Speaker/Headphone) + Premium Tube / Freya+ Premium Matched Tubes / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max
    • Fear Hear is blowing up the headphones with the speaker amp maybe? Not sure if anyone has experience here.
Curious to see what people think, looking forward to the responses! Or, if I am going down the complete wrong path here!

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 3
The Susvara impressions thread might be a better place to ask those owners.

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey folks, looking at buying a paid of Susvara headphones and after doing a lot of research I have boiled it down to a few set up options.
The problem here is finding anyone who has set up something difference or could parse which on they would lean towards.

This is as close to end game audio as I get so I am trying to pull out the stops for this one. I realize audio is a personal experience but considering I can't actually try any of these solutions. Well, here we are and asking this active community :) Generally I like sound accurate where I can play around with the EQ a bit. I am not a bass head. Although I love good bass, I tend to prefer accuracy and being able to hear subtle nuances. My range of music taste is vast, going from Lofi/Jazz/Classical to EDM and the like. Anyway hope this kind of gives a rough view of my musical world.

Listening Set up - Desktop PC // I do have a sound card but obviously don't want to rely on it (Creative Labs AE9)
Susvara headphones.

1. Setup - Susvara - OOR Ferrum / Hypsos Ferrum / RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max (Probably Won't Need it RME digital EQ)
  2. Setup - Susvara - OOR Ferrum / Hypsos Ferrum / Yyddrasil+ / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max
  3. Setup - Susvara - Schiit Lyr + Premium Tube / Freya+ Premium Matched Tubes / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max
    • Fear here is this enough power to open up these hard to drive headphones?
  4. Setup - Susvara - Ragnorok 2 Fully Loaded (Speaker/Headphone) + Premium Tube / Freya+ Premium Matched Tubes / maybe an EQ w/ Loki Max
    • Fear Hear is blowing up the headphones with the speaker amp maybe? Not sure if anyone has experience here.
Curious to see what people think, looking forward to the responses! Or, if I am going down the complete wrong path here!
Sorry this is a few weeks after you posted - agree you may want to ask the main Sus thread here . It’s very long but you can use the ‘search this thread’ function to look for keywords like ‘Yggdrasil’ to find every post that used that word.

Anywho, I am in the same place having had Sus for about 3 months running them off Topping D90SE —> Burson 3XP soloist. This is not SO bad but the soundstage is quite intimate, and I’m ready to move on.

My sonic preferences are similar to what you describe

I’ve debated Yggdrasil vs Holo Spring 3KTE which are similar in price, the main difference is that Spring throws a bigger soundstage but probably less dynamic and detailed than Yggy unless one goes in for HQ Player (which requires extra expense for the GPU/computer to run it). The Spring does play DSD and upsampled/HiRes files if you are into that. No returns, no upgrades- once you’ve got it, you are committed. Burn in is long~ 500 hours. Pairs GREAT (most users report) with Ferrum Oor (which maybe you have already?)

Yggdrasil reportedly has better dynamics, especially bass, and natively better detail retrieval; however it’s set up best to use Redbook (44.1 or 48 KHz files) which the DAC then oversamples using Schiit’s own system/filters. The newest version (Yggdrasil+) now has true NOS and so can take HQP modulated files but currently only up to 192 KHz - this may soon be expanded to 384 KHz, it’s a limitation of their USB card. Yggdrasil is returnable (within 15 days trial period) and upgradable (nearly annual upgrades), comes in 3 ‘flavors’. Burn in is about 125 hrs (1 week of solid playback). Probably will work fine with Ferrum Oor but less frequently reported together.

You can search for Ragnarok on the Susvara thread. You won’t blow up Sus on this but most people who posted on this pairing were not greatly impressed at the sonic result.

My own plan is to trade in the 3XP for the Burson 3XGT and pair with Yggdrasil OG. But I dont think you could go wrong any way you mentioned.

I don’t use a Lokius b/c I am a Roon user and just use PEQ in ROON There’s a bit of a learning curve to do this but it’s much easier than HQ Player that way.

I’ve looked at PassionForSound YT reviews to refine my views - especially his Holo SpringMay, Bifrost 2/64 and Yggdrasil reviews and 1 done recently that compared Yggy to the Pontus 2, Bifrost 2/64 and Musician Pegasus. Between them all you can get a consistent picture (thru his preference lenses which prefer impactful tight bass and excellent detail retrieval). GoldenSound has some great YT vids on the Holo DACs as well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back