Swapping 1/4" to 3.5mm jack on Sennheiser HD555
Jul 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cammrobb

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

First post on the forum, looking for a bit of advice.

Does anyone know how easy it is to change the 1/4" jack on a pair of sennheiser HD555s to a 3.5mm jack?

I'm looking to change it as I've gone through about 4 or 5 adaptors and I never actually use my headphones with equipment with a 1/4" socket.

It's time again for me to replace the adaptor I'm using as it's becoming faulty again, and I'm thinking instead of buying another one, actually changing the jack on the headphone cable.

Has anyone done this with a pair of headphones or an anyone recommend a tutorial to do this?

Thanks,

CammRobb

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm not sure why the adaptor would suddenly become faulty, no reason at all why it should.

to change the plug you'd need to desolder the jack and chanre it to a 1/8" (3.5mm) one, easy to do if you have the equipment and experience otherwise find someone who has.
the bigger question is, why if your adaptor "becoming faulty"

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply.

The adaptors are becoming faulty because, basically, they're **** and cheap, and I'm constantly taking it on and off, plugging it in and taking it out of things etc.

Would be nice to just have a 3.5mm jack on the end.

So I would need to cut the 1/4" jack off and solder on a 3.5mm? Okay.

Would I be looking to buy something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/metal-3.5mm-stereo-plug-1187

And then soldering the wires to it?

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 8
I wouldn't have considered doing this 'fun', but I managed to make it work. The HD555 doesnt have a lot of room for an aftermarket cable to go between the left and right drivers through the headband, so I had to use the original wire. I soldered the originals to the 3.5mm chassis I installed (with super glue). I didnt find a tutorial for this headphone, but there are plenty more out there for other headphones. If I did it again, I would do a dual entry detachable mod and get rid of the wire going through the headband, that made it such a messy project. Also, I had to cut a lot of the insides out to fit the 3.5 chassis in there. When you open yours up, you will see a small microchip in there, I cut mine out. This headphone has so many small screws keeping it together, its really a pain. After taking the can apart just now to send you this picture, I am remembering how annoying it was. I would just keep looking for that adapter unless you're up for a challenge. Or you could cut the 1/4 end off and pick up a 3.5mm jack and solder it on the original cable.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Hi guys,
First post on the forum, looking for a bit of advice.
Does anyone know how easy it is to change the 1/4" jack on a pair of Sennheiser HD555s to a 3.5mm jack?
I'm looking to change it as I've gone through about 4 or 5 adaptors and I never actually use my headphones with equipment with a 1/4" socket.
It's time again for me to replace the adaptor I'm using as it's becoming faulty again, and I'm thinking instead of buying another one, actually changing the jack on the headphone cable.
Has anyone done this with a pair of headphones or an anyone recommend a tutorial to do this?

Would this work for you?

Grado mini cable adapter 1/4" female to 1/8" male

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2MOLN1AV11M0&coliid=I2KCAN718J0HJQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back