Switching from HD25-1 & Apogee Duet to Denon D7100 and M-DAC
Dec 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

davemac

New Head-Fier
Hello :)

I have been using my HD25-1's along with an Apogee Duet for years now, feeding from a variety of macs via firewire (320 mp3's, mixture of genres)

Although I love the sound I get, I feel like it might be time for an upgrade. Besides, firewire is going the way of the dodo unfortunately.

I have roughly narrowed my choices to the Denon D7100 and Audiolab M-DAC. I know the D7100's are not best loved on here, but I can get them at a really good price and, as open headphones are not an option, these tick a lot of boxes for me. the M-DAC just seems amazing by the reviews - never heard one and wont have the opportunity to demo either that or the headphones, but sometimes its better to just jump in, otherwise my OCD would stop me from ever purchasing anything, ever!

My question is, would I realistically get much of an improvement with this setup, compared to my current? The apogee sounds wonderful and im wary of how much difference another DAC would possibly make. Also, by my understanding, the Denons should be basically an improved version of the HD25's - pretty much a similar experience but better - big bottom along with a 'pleasant' sound?

Could anyone who might have experience with any of these lend some advice?

Thank you!

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Also, im completely open to alternative suggestions on either of the items mentioned. Musically I listen to a LOT of soundtrack, EDM and folk. Also, throw in general 'pop' music, metal and drum & bass, and you can see I pretty much listen to anything and everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back