System for my brother
Nov 26, 2006 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
Hey im looking at getting my brother a good speaker system for his records. Hes got a mad collection of records and a old sony turntable. But since we have moved he has had no reciver or good headphones.
Now what im looking for is a good reccomendation for a reciver, but is has to be able to have a turntable and a reel to reel to hook up to it.
Im also looking for some nice headphones, he listens to alot of rock, like classic rock. I listen to hip hop, so can someone give me some good recomendations for headphones. Like $200 range. Im thinking Grado, and i know everyone will say grado for rock, but what are the other options.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 3
That receiver issue is a big can of worms; personally dollar for dollar I go with 70s Sherwood, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Sansui, Luxman, etc. Well under $100 for a prime piece of equipment in a hardwood box. They also have the benefit that by and large they've got beefy headphone outs. Maybe not the last word in precision for the headphones, but in my experience a solidly enjoyable sound.

And then grab a pair of DT990 Pro and relax. Maybe some Goldrings. Or you can just admit to yourself that you're going to get the Grados anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back