TakeT BPP Portable Supertweeter and H2+ Headphone - Head-Fi TV, Episode 010
Aug 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #47 of 79
Like someone mentioned earlier iPhones/Pods only go up to 20kHz it would be interesting to try out the BPP on an SACD player or something similar to see the difference it makes

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #49 of 79
That was a fantastic video review! and I like Jude's accent.

There are very in-depth academic studies that support the claim of the TakeT BPP, so I think it seems like an interesting and innovative product with a low price, I'd just like to know if it's fabricating the ultra high frequencies with the information it receives from the normal frequency range, or if actually requires the UHF information in order to function as intended, which will require the correct music, DAC, Amp and so on, as you can see on their website they mention it will not work from a minidisc player using AAC format.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #50 of 79

Quote:
There are very in-depth academic studies that support the claim of the TakeT BPP, so I think it seems like an interesting and innovative product with a low price, I'd just like to know if it's fabricating the ultra high frequencies with the information it receives from the normal frequency range, or if actually requires the UHF information in order to function as intended, which will require the correct music, DAC, Amp and so on, as you can see on their website they mention it will not work from a minidisc player using AAC format.

If that's the same study I think it is, it also gets questioned by multiple group of scientists since the result can not be replicated. I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #51 of 79
Here is an essay on the studies: http://jn.physiology.org/content/83/6/3548.full
Here is another one: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htm

Here is the wikipedia entry: "Attempts to independently reproduce these results have so far been unsuccessful.[size=x-small][4][/size][size=x-small][5][/size]"

If you click on 4 and 5, you are linked to these articles:
4. http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/Archive_A10.pdf
5. http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/publica/labnote/lab486.html

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #52 of 79
Here is a cymbal crash, one of the highest frequency resonances, the blue stuff is background noise.

It seems evident to me some information is being lost here, in a 20kHz cut-off filter, so I'm not going to simply dismiss the TakeT BPP as quasi-science without researching it first, I think that's cynical, at least in light of the fact that Jude has shown in this review that TakeT are capable of making what he calls one of the best headphones in the world, right?

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #53 of 79
Nice! Playing Sufjan Stevens The Age of Adz. I love that album.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #54 of 79
Quote:
This is a place mainly for enthusiasts so covering these types of product is what Head-Fi TV should be all about, as the other low priced products are featured everywhere else.

If I could improve these videos I would try to bringing in more products and do some comparisons. That would really help the average person and consumer here IMO.

For exampel I would like to see a lineup of 5-10 DAC's in various price points, or talking about the different top custom IEM in some upcomming episodes.

There are some really good budget headphones like superlux , which I would like to see featured they would be great for head-fiers on a low budget.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #55 of 79
Quote:
This was the most fascinating review.  I never even really considered the TakeT line.  I'm deadset against EQing headphones that cost over a few hundred dollars, so what you said about the mid-bass hump would be a concern for me.  Even still, your recommendation is a compelling one. I have a feeling tho by the looks of the headphone that I would barely use it.  It looks kind of heavy and not so sturdy on the head.  But really, this review was an unexpected surprise and I will consider it :)

Jude graciously hosted a Detroit area meetup in June, where several of us had the opportunity to try the H2+. I'll reserve judgement on the sound quality, since a meetup is a good place for first impressions and a bad place for controlled comparative listening, but I can say that the TakeT phones are some of the lightest I've ever worn. And, yes, not so sturdy on the head...

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #56 of 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are some really good budget headphones like superlux , which I would like to see featured they would be great for head-fiers on a low budget.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #58 of 79

Quote:
Quote:

Jude graciously hosted a Detroit area meetup in June, where several of us had the opportunity to try the H2+. I'll reserve judgement on the sound quality, since a meetup is a good place for first impressions and a bad place for controlled comparative listening, but I can say that the TakeT phones are some of the lightest I've ever worn. And, yes, not so sturdy on the head...

Interesting!

I know that meets are pretty much a killer for detailed impressions, but you can still share your impressions:) I'm all ears

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #59 of 79
Well, two months along, my memories are a little fuzzy on the details. What does stick in my mind are two things: First is that fiddling with the doors over the supertweeters had no readily perceptible effect on what I heard. The second is that the Stax 007 and 009 outperformed it on all counts. This has to be qualified by all the equipment ahead of the Stax phones were also better than what was feeding the TakeT; but even the HE-6 and LCD-2 were more satisfying to listen to on most systems I heard that day, and either cost a fraction of the H2+'s asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back