Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Apr 26, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #76 of 1,250
Why do they weigh half a small car? Yikes.

Those cloth pads, GIVE ME THEM, NOW.

I would love listening to these, but I seriously can't be buying headphones.

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #78 of 1,250
I wouldn't say no to a review of it. The price range is appealing, and it could be a banger.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #79 of 1,250
HF580_Snip.PNG

According to Ellie the factory manufactured 30 pieces, so first 30 orders should be fulfilled and shipped soon. I couldn't resist...my order is placed.

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #80 of 1,250
My HI-3050 arrived today, pics below. First random impressions:

• As with the Pro-82, very comfortable. Especially for headphones of this size and weight.
  • Rubberized attached cable looks and feels cheap. Cable is plenty long enough.
  • I wish the join point for the Y cable wasn't quite so close. It feels a bit cramped.
  • No user manual.
  • Be very careful when removing the pads; it's far easier to remove the pad from the plastic bracket than to snap out the bracket with the pad still attached.
  • Quick listening out of the box, the only headphones handy to compare being the Takstar Pro 82: The Pro 82 have more impact at the ends of the spectrum (expected, as planars tend not to have as much bass impact as dynamic cans), but the HF 580 have more texture and detail... a more lush overall sound.
  • My only other planars are the Audeze Mobius which are at my office, as are my Sennheiser 58X, so comparisons with those will have to wait until next week.
So in short, initial impressions are positive with respect to sound signature and especially comfort, but for fit, finish, and build quality, you're getting what you're paying for. After all, it's a $160 shipped set of planar headphones.

takstarhi3050_01.jpg

takstarhi3050_02.jpg

takstarhi3050_03.jpg

takstarhi3050_04.jpg

takstarhi3050_05.jpg

takstarhi3050_06.jpg

takstarhi3050_07.jpg

takstarhi3050_08.jpg

takstarhi3050_09.jpg

takstarhi3050_10.jpg

takstarhi3050_11.jpg

takstarhi3050_12.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #81 of 1,250
@heavyharmonies - Great pics mate, she's a beauty! I predict a good amount of burn-in for these planar beauties is needed! How much Pleather-to-Plastic-to-Metal ratio we looking at with the HF-580's?

A shame and hopefully Takstar look at making some changes to the cable and settle for a detachable option down the track! Would be criminal not to be able to run these in balanced!

Keep us post mate!

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #82 of 1,250
Guess it would be nice if Takstar offered a version with wooden cups, a metal bracket to connect the cups to the headband and maybe a thicker headband, maybe even leather and high quality velour ear pads.
And maybe detachable cables.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #84 of 1,250
The price would at least double
Maybe they could use the current ear pads and skip on the detachable cable.
And make the cups out of hemp.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #85 of 1,250
My HI-3050 arrived today, pics below. First random impressions:

• As with the Pro-82, very comfortable. Especially for headphones of this size and weight.
  • Rubberized attached cable looks and feels cheap. Cable is plenty long enough.
  • I wish the join point for the Y cable wasn't quite so close. It feels a bit cramped.
  • No user manual.
  • Be very careful when removing the pads; it's far easier to remove the pad from the plastic bracket than to snap out the bracket with the pad still attached.
  • Quick listening out of the box, the only headphones handy to compare being the Takstar Pro 82: The Pro 82 have more impact at the ends of the spectrum (expected, as planars tend not to have as much bass impact as dynamic cans), but the HF 580 have more texture and detail... a more lush overall sound.
  • My only other planars are the Audeze Mobius which are at my office, as are my Sennheiser 58X, so comparisons with those will have to wait until next week.
So in short, initial impressions are positive with respect to sound signature and especially comfort, but for fit, finish, and build quality, you're getting what you're paying for. After all, it's a $160 shipped set of planar headphones.

takstarhi3050_01.jpg

takstarhi3050_02.jpg

takstarhi3050_03.jpg

takstarhi3050_04.jpg

takstarhi3050_05.jpg

takstarhi3050_06.jpg

takstarhi3050_07.jpg

takstarhi3050_08.jpg

takstarhi3050_09.jpg

takstarhi3050_10.jpg

takstarhi3050_11.jpg

takstarhi3050_12.jpg

What is the sonic difference between the two pads?

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #86 of 1,250
@heavyharmonies thanks of the good first pics. Atleast are not glued but the attaching mechnanics could be better. I prefer twist over the snap. Pads seems too thin.

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #87 of 1,250
Heh..I’m rather pleased NOT to be the first one to get a hold of these :wink:

‘How does it compare to say having a parakeet on your shoulder?’
‘Are the pads 37 or 38?’
‘If you could be so kind as to take a bag of potatoflower and lightly sprinkle the baffle?’
‘Is is full of bass, mids and treble? Why?’
‘Can you see if the pads will fit the Solo2?’
‘How’s the synergy with a flux capacitor?’
‘Can you play this Yanni album and tell me if the recorder solo is located to the far right..or if it sounds like a drunk opera singer doing Scatman John in the shower?’
‘What do you prefer soundstage-wise? The Takstar, Mozart, Huey Lewis & The News, Skoda, garlic or a ferret?’
‘Would Elvis approve?’

On another note, mine were shipped yesterday and I’m fairly certain it’ll match my ferret’s soundstage :p

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #88 of 1,250
@heavyharmonies - Great pics mate, she's a beauty! I predict a good amount of burn-in for these planar beauties is needed! How much Pleather-to-Plastic-to-Metal ratio we looking at with the HF-580's?

A shame and hopefully Takstar look at making some changes to the cable and settle for a detachable option down the track! Would be criminal not to be able to run these in balanced!

Keep us post mate!

This one can be moded to balanced connection easily.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #89 of 1,250
Seeing as we’re basically just shooting the breeze until more impressions occur or Jussi brings the frequency response, I thought I’d expound on one of my hopes for this headphone:

Earlier on I said that I hoped for this to turn out like a tweeked LCD-2. Reason why is that I already own a slightly bright tilted planar in the Sundara and sport no will to upgrade it in the forseeable future.
Thing is both cans where this driver (supposedly) is implemented in share a bright tilt...so maybe the sig is directly related to the driver?
I would like a more traditional sounding planar a la the old Audeze line-up, but then again I gather that there probably are as many different opinions on how exactly this headphone should sound like as there are customers.

Fun fact: last night I listened to Vangelis over the Sundara whilst eating some olives. I recommend this form of training to anyone waiting on a planar. Softens up the gills for an upcoming heavyweight.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #90 of 1,250
My head is going now wild. I have been waiting this headphone to mod. I see already it has some flaws on construction side but I don't mind really. It may be ugly duckling that just need some care. I love only cheap headphones that can produce bretty good sound after modding and equalizing. I'm only owning one planar magnetic hp, that is echo tds-16 and I must its very difficult to mod. Dynamic drivers are much easier to work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back