Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,836 of 4,538
Aw man, I come back to the forum after awhile only to find that...I've been doing the Pro 82 wrong? I mean, I've been using this cable for four months with my Pro 82 and Topping DX7s and so far everything seems okay. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWBJJ1T

And if I understand how balanced works...if it was wired wrong, wouldn't I be eating static or have damaged my amp and headphones by now?

Oh, I also used the NewFantasia 2.5 to 2.5mm balanced cable on my ES100 and no issues there.

I don't think that you can damage your amp that way. Amps have protection against short circuit, and from what I understand, the way that PRO82 is wired, it just puts the drivers out of phase.

Jul 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #2,837 of 4,538
I don't think that you can damage your amp that way. Amps have protection against short circuit, and from what I understand, the way that PRO82 is wired, it just puts the drivers out of phase.

I guess if it was that dangerous, I probably would have blown something out by now lol. So this fix is as simple as resoldering the wires on the PCB if I saw the pics @saebasan posted properly.

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,838 of 4,538
For whose who don’t want to put their hands on it,
it seems that @BenF has found a working cable for the PRO 82.
Check it out.
I'm afraid I'll have to retract my statement about the balanced cable I bought from Aliexpress :frowning2:
I've plugged my Pro 82 into SMSL IQ balanced output, and listened to a couple songs - sounded great so far!
But then I decided to play with channel balance in Windows (it is a balanced headphone after all, right? :grin: ).
When I take one of the channels down, the music keeps coming from both sides :astonished:
It just sounds quieter and hollow.

So I listened to a few more songs. Some of them sounded hollow (especially in the bass region), even with both channels at 100%.
At this point it became clear to me that the wiring inside Pro 82 isn't the standard R-R+L+L-.
But why "L+R+L-R-" ? Very simple - this wiring makes Pro 82 compatible with standard TRS cables - which have common ground on the sleeve.
You may ask - why use TRRS at all? They probably had an overstock of TRSS jacks :jecklinsmile:

I wish I'd tested this cable better when I got it, but I just don't see the reason to listen to Pro 82 on anything but the synergy combos - so I rushed it.
Sorry :crying_cat_face:

Yep

... So this fix is as simple as resoldering the wires on the PCB if I saw the pics @saebasan posted properly.
Wouldn't that make Pro 82 incompatible with its own cables or standard TRS ones - you'll only be able to use balanced cables?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #2,839 of 4,538
I'm afraid I'll have to retract my statement about the balanced cable I bought from Aliexpress :frowning2:
I've plugged my Pro 82 into SMSL IQ balanced output, and listened to a couple songs - sounded great so far!
But then I decided to play with channel balance in Windows (it is a balanced headphone after all, right? :grin: ).
When I take one of the channels down, the music keeps coming from both sides :astonished:
It just sounds quieter and hollow.

So I listened to a few more songs. Some of them sounded hollow (especially in the bass region), even with both channels at 100%.
At this point it became clear to me that the wiring inside Pro 82 isn't the standard R-R+L+L-.
But why "L+R+L-R-" ? Very simple - this wiring makes Pro 82 compatible with standard TRS cables - which have common ground on the sleeve.
You may ask - why use TRRS at all? They probably had an overstock of TRSS jacks :jecklinsmile:

I wish I'd tested this cable better when I got it, but I just don't see the reason to listen to Pro 82 on anything but the synergy combos - so I rushed it.
Sorry :crying_cat_face:

Yep

Wouldn't that make Pro 82 incompatible with its own cables or standard TRS ones - you'll only be able to use balanced cables?
My local cable guy rewired the part that connect to headphone side on my balanced cable but never rewired on the amp side.
I now able to channel left right without any problem.

Jul 21, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,840 of 4,538
...this wiring makes Pro 82 compatible with standard TRS cables - which have common ground on the sleeve.
You may ask - why use TRRS at all?

TRRS in a headphone socket allows four wires to run down the cable so that the common ground run of the left and right channels is minimized (potentially to a single point at the source jack), which I think in theory reduces crosstalk.

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #2,841 of 4,538
TRRS in a headphone socket allows four wires to run down the cable so that the common ground run of the left and right channels is minimized (potentially to a single point at the source jack), which I think in theory reduces crosstalk.

As far as I understood, it seems that
there is no more common ground on balanced cable.
On “classic” audio cables, the ground is a reference, and the audio signal waves around it. But, they are called “unbalanced”.
By opposition, in “balanced” cable, there is no use of a common ground, neither a referee potential anymore. Because, it is the difference of potential between the 2 transmission lines that make the audio signal itself by recombination at the output.
So, while making your cables, if you mixe by mistake a L+ with a L-, or a R- with a R+... I think that it would have no effect on the final sound production. As each signal in the four cables are obviously alternative, not continuous. The +ses and -ses are only here to sign the opposition of phase, not the kind of potential.
However, mixing for example a L+ with R-... wouldn’t be the best mistake to do.

Yes, eventually it would have beneficial effect concerning crosstalk, but not only.
The beauty of this design is that it is potentially strong against any perturbation by essence.

Cheers

P.S.
If I had the chance to name it, I would call it “Floating audio transmission” or “Floating cables”
But as a matter of fact, they are now called balanced.:k701smile:
我輩は猫である。
名前まだ無い。

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #2,842 of 4,538
1st batch - White cardboard box, 3.5/6.5mm adapter, 2.2m cable
2nd batch - Black cardboard box, no adapter (unless the seller put one in), 1.6m cable

I finally ordered v2 them from China and they sound great. 24€ in customs taxes. 85€ in total.

The case comes a little bit blended but nothing critical. The packgaging from seller was excellent but blending is something that sometimes happens during shipping.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #2,843 of 4,538
I finally ordered v2 them from China and they sound great. 24€ in customs taxes. 85€ in total.

The case comes a little bit blended but nothing critical. The packgaging from seller was excellent but blending is something that sometimes happens during shipping.

Photos?

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #2,844 of 4,538

enjoy:

https://ibb.co/z2VMfBY
https://ibb.co/KF8rD5F

z2VMfBY

KF8rD5F

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,846 of 4,538
I'm sticking with the cable the Pro82s came with since I doubt I'd hear any improvement at all from balanced cables so the trouble isn't even close to worth it. :)
Agree.
Modern DACs and Amps can provide S/N ratios that beat human hearing, no improvement is needed there.
I think nowadays balanced connections are more about providing 2x power to hard-to-drive headphones - which Pro 82 isn't.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,848 of 4,538

You are welcome!

Please post your impressions when you are ready.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #2,850 of 4,538
I got my pro82 for $50 from aliexpress. They were delivered to India in 7 days. I'm very pleased with them i didn't want to take them off when i first put them on. I just kept on listening to song after song. I even dozed off without realizing they were on my head, they are so comfortable. The 6db bass boost is too much for me i just switched on the bass boost on my idsd bl and it was plenty. Treble not as sparkly as i hoped but its alright for the price. Overall very impressed with the build n comfort. Sound is still something I'm not sure about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back