Tea Gadgets?
Oct 29, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm guessing since everybody here seems to love their coffee so much that at least a few of us also love our tea. What do you use to make your tea? Also for people who buy loose leaves where do you get them?

I use loose leaves, usually from teavana because there is one close to me. They make a really good earl grey creame tea and their dragonwell green tea is my favorite. I make my tea in either a one time use teavana filter (abaca pulp, cellulose, and sealing fibers) or one of these

ingenuitea_mug.jpg

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 95
I use loose tea bags that have an opening to fill it with your tea of choice. You can get them at Borders.

I used to use a small teapot with a mesh cup, used to hold the loose tea, but it has since been broken to pieces.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 95
Not a gadget, but I began to enjoy tea much more after reading "The Book of Tea" by Kakuzo Okakura. It is, of course, about tea, but there's much more to it. Enlightening and highly recommended.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 95
I use tea bags 'cause I'm lazy, but dude, I need to get one of those plunger things that you posted. Green tea is so much better in loose leaves. Love the name 'Perfect Cuppa'
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 95
I also use tea bags cuz I'm lazy and don't have a proper plunger/tea gadget. My family is all coffee drinkers so I'm always the odd one out lol. I prefer a nice cup of english breakfast tea with milk and sugar. <3

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 95
I tend to drink tea made as comfortingly class-free as possible. I enjoy "builders' tea", made sweet and milky, and strong enough to stand the spoon up in. I also (slightly shamefully) enjoy this with much more delicate teas, particularly earl grey. Strong as blazes, one sugar, and rather milky.

I know it's hardly getting the 'best' out of the tea, but it is really very satisfying to drink, particularly when struggling with essays.

EDIT: All of which is irrelevant, when the thread is talking about gadgets. My 'gadget' is just a big chunky mug.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 95
Doesn't have to just be the gadgets used to make it. When it comes down to it, the tea and what we put in it makes a bigger difference then what toy we found to make it in. Personally I drink my tea black, I don't like sweet drinks very much and I don't see the reason to add extra calories (for me) when I like the taste as is. Does anyone drink white tea? I've been trying to find a good loose white tea with no luck. Also if anybody has a trader joes around and likes green tea you should pick up their organic blueberry green tea (its in little pre-packed tea bags) it tastes pretty interesting and they don't smash the poor little tea leaves into useless bits like most pre-packed bags.

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't have to just be the gadgets used to make it. When it comes down to it, the tea and what we put in it makes a bigger difference then what toy we found to make it in. Personally I drink my tea black, I don't like sweet drinks very much and I don't see the reason to add extra calories (for me) when I like the taste as is. Does anyone drink white tea? I've been trying to find a good loose white tea with no luck. Also if anybody has a trader joes around and likes green tea you should pick up their organic blueberry green tea (its in little pre-packed tea bags) it tastes pretty interesting and they don't smash the poor little tea leaves into useless bits like most pre-packed bags.

Yes white tea is simply the best, but you have to infuse it with 70°C water during 30 minutes. Organic's better, of course.

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 95
Tea needs no gadgets, unlike coffee where you need to have the water just below boiling, certain bar of pressure and grind the beans to certain size grind to extract it in 30 seconds...etc

Tea just like hot water and let it brew, the Chinese/Japanese have been drinking it for centuries without gadgets and its still best just put it in a pot and let it brew. You can be lazy and add milk if you like.

I have a set of tea cups and pot at home, will take a photo later, i got it in Hong Kong earlier this year.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 95
I use one of these:

Web_PictLarge_1801-16US.jpg

Works a charm. I usually drink various Persian blends of black tea, as they're by far the best teas I've ever had among all the fancy Chinese and Japanese teas I've had the pleasure of trying.

That and some sencha green tea and occasionally some white tea get me by. Generally one pot a day.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 95
I boil water in a coffee mug in the microwave, place a tea bag in, place a small plate on top and let it sit for long time. This method makes it nice and strong and lets it cool down a bit. I found that brewing in a thermos makes really strong tea too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back