TEAC VRDS-701 CD Player, USB DAC Unboxing | Moon Audio
Sep 12, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 20
I received one a few days ago, to revisit CDs and still have a capable DAC for streaming. Early impressions… very solidly built unit, CDs sound really great, USB interface connects seamlessly to my computer and ipad. Headphone amp is surprisingly powerful… I’m waiting for a Bliss but the 701 is powering my Susvaras quite well. In an ideal world it would play SACDs but I don’t have that many anyway, and the DAC can do DSD in any case.

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 20
I have my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player directly connected to my Teac UD-503 via digital cable. Great sounding combo. Plus, the CD player does HDCDs...

_ADM7908.jpg

I too have SACD's but no SACD player, but they are still sound great on the normal channel.

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 20
Nothing. Just happy to see someone showing some love to them.
Yeah, I love them; I just spent $480 bucks refurbing them, though the biggest bulk of that price was on cables - bought a 10-foot Black Dragon balanced cable that breathed new life into them. They're now much warmer and less bright with better bass now. My post on the refurb here.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 20
I received one a few days ago, to revisit CDs and still have a capable DAC for streaming. Early impressions… very solidly built unit, CDs sound really great, USB interface connects seamlessly to my computer and ipad. Headphone amp is surprisingly powerful… I’m waiting for a Bliss but the 701 is powering my Susvaras quite well. In an ideal world it would play SACDs but I don’t have that many anyway, and the DAC can do DSD in any case.
So, what are thought now?

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 20
Been away for a while but I’m still thrilled with this player. And the DAC is good enough that I’ve migrated to using it as my primary that I connect my streaming system to as well.
It’s all making me start to covet the potential to look at some of the Esoteric line some day.

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 20
I'm looking to get this CD player, but I don't know that I need all the added bells and whistles and why I'm more considering the 701T (Transport only) version.

I already have a good DAC in the Denafrips Pontus, as well as a great headphone amp in the Deanfrips Artemis. That said, I was offered a good deal on the 701 that nearly makes it a no brainer to go with that model. Just need to figure out if I trust the deal.

Regardless, I'm more interested in the CD player itself no matter the version, since I plan of running it through my Pontus which feeds into my headphone amp. That said, with the 701, I do have more options as I can also use it as a pre-amp to push my active speakers. Hmmm....

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 20
Got it!!! Got the VRDS-701, instead of the VRDS-701T (Transport). Was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a brand-new unit which turned out to be a better deal than the transport offering....

VRDS-701.jpg

Denafrips Artemis Headphone amp, Pontus II 12th-1, Teac VRDS 701. Sennheiser HD700 & HD800S phones. Not shown, Denafrips Iris 12th DDC.

Teac-VRDS-701.jpg

Still learning it, but since it has a built-in DAC, I'm now running my PC files through it. It's also able to run my powered speakers, so it ends up retiring my both my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, as well as my Teac UD-503 DAC as shown above in > post #4 :relaxed:

BTW, this thing is a beast weighing in at 11.1kg (24 lbs.)!!! The top plate is about a 1/4-inch-thick solid aluminum.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 20
Got it!!! Got the VRDS-701, instead of the VRDS-701T (Transport). Was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a brand-new unit which turned out to be a better deal than the transport offering....

VRDS-701.jpg

Denafrips Artemis Headphone amp, Pontus II 12th-1, Teac VRDS 701. Sennheiser HD700 & HD800S phones. Not shown, Denafrips Iris 12th DDC.

Teac-VRDS-701.jpg

Still learning it, but since it has a built-in DAC, I'm now running my PC files through it. It's also able to run my powered speakers, so it ends up retiring my both my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, as well as my Teac UD-503 DAC as shown above in > post #4 :relaxed:

BTW, this thing is a beast weighing in at 11.1kg (24 lbs.)!!! The top plate is about a 1/4-inch-thick solid aluminum.
How is it compared to the (dac) ud503?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back