Teardown of goldplanar GL400 picture
Sep 13, 2020 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

germanium

Headphoneus Supremus
I tore down my damaged GL400 driver that sucked a screw while trying to modify the damping of the driver. I just thought you people might like to see what it looks inside the driver.
20200913_130721_HDR~2.jpg

There are only magnets in the back of the driver.

First item is actual driver. Second is the magnets which are very powerful. Then there is a damping/filter/circuit board then the front housing of the driver.

There is surprisingly very little room for excursion with this driver. Perhaps + or - 1/2 millimeter if that. It it very tight in there. It is amazing how much bass this driver delivers for it's size & excursion limits. There is not much tension on the driver. I was expecting more though the driver is damaged which may have loosened it somewhat. Edit: After tapping on the driver very lightly a few times I was surprised at how high the drum resonance still is given the low tension on the driver. Must be due to how thin & light it is. I don't believe though there was much to begin with though. You can feel some tension toward the edges but very little anywhere else. This may be why this driver has the bass it does. You can still tell it's a small driver but it does sound bigger than it is.
20200913_140151_HDR.jpg

This is other side of driver. I removed protective filter from the front so you can see the driver better.
20200913_140627_HDR.jpg

Here you can get an idea of just how little excursion this driver is capable of & yet still delivers decent bass.
20200913_141551_HDR.jpg

Same here. Almost no room.

The damping paper on both sides of driver have fairly high restriction plus there is a felt & foam damping pad as well. This is a very well damped driver.

I did remove the grill in back of housing which made a noticeable improvement in clarity of sound & imaging. This I did on a new set I just got yesterday to replace broken ones. I had already tried that on the broken ones before they were broken.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back