Techno, Electro & Underground Beats
May 2, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #16 of 9,820

Nice, but definitely more house than techno. Major giveaway is that it's basically a spruced up disco track. Makes sense as house evolved pretty directly out of disco.

Techno is a bit different, as there are no clear artistic predecessors (inspirators, yes, but no direct link). It was more of a response to social changes that suddenly had hit people and the communities hard (remember, this is the american 'rust belt' we're talking about). It is no coincidence that Jeff Mills decided to make a soundtrack for Fritz Langs Metropolis, neither is it a coincidence that most of techno is pretty dark, dirty and slightly unnerving. 

Well...I am a sucker for the disco beat especially with scatterings of rhythm guitar throughout! House sounds seems like a blend of disco and techno!!

May 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 9,820
I really liked that Dominik Eulberg. While I do enjoy the really dark stuff, like Developer, Thug Entrancer, Silent Servant etc., it's also nice to have some light at the end of the tunnel.

There are some rather nice tape rips from these legendary Dutch techno pioneers up on Archive.org.

May 6, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #20 of 9,820
It's nice to see some similarly music-minded people in here! I am a huge fan of electronic music; mostly house and techno.

This is 1/2 of Drexciya and is certainly one of the best albums ever released on Warp.

May 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 9,820
  It's nice to see some similarly music-minded people in here! I am a huge fan of electronic music; mostly house and techno.

This is 1/2 of Drexciya and is certainly one of the best albums ever released on Warp.

Absolutely. You Said You Want Me, off the same album, is the sort of track that can melt even the most iron-hearted of techno controverts.

There were a couple of (or maybe more? I've only got two) compilation albums released by Warp in the early 90's called Artificial Intelligence. They were re-released at some point, but I don't know how available they are now.
Anyways, excellent showcases for the european side of things, including some of the very biggest in the genre, like Autechre, Speedy J, B12, Seefeel, HIA, RDJ, etc. Worth checking out for both old and new geezers.

May 7, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #25 of 9,820

Absolutely. You Said You Want Me, off the same album, is the sort of track that can melt even the most iron-hearted of techno controverts.

There were a couple of (or maybe more? I've only got two) compilation albums released by Warp in the early 90's called Artificial Intelligence. They were re-released at some point, but I don't know how available they are now.
Anyways, excellent showcases for the european side of things, including some of the very biggest in the genre, like Autechre, Speedy J, B12, Seefeel, HIA, RDJ, etc. Worth checking out for both old and new geezers.

Are they just compilations of select tracks from the series of albums under the same name. Speedy J, Richie Hawtin, etc. I will have to find a copy of that B12 LP. I don't have it. It is a shame the Warp back catalogue is so prohibitively expensive. The Boards Of Canada / Aphex Twin represses were popular.

Basic Channel also deserves a mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLr52XxTfCc

May 7, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #26 of 9,820
They're just simple compilations. I used to be rather snobbish about this, and I still am a bit when it comes 'best of'-collections, but wide scoped, well curated collections like these I'm all for. I have a fairly extensive RDJ collection, but other than that it's mostly just a small handful of more or less randomly collected albums on each of the artists represented, and with the sheer amount of artists out there just waiting to be discovered, I doubt this will ever change considerably. 

I just checked iTunes, and the albums are available there at normal prices. The same with CD's through Amazon.

May 7, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 9,820
I was talking about the records with regard to price:
e.g. http://www.discogs.com/Other-People-Place-Lifestyles-Of-The-Laptop-Caf%C3%A9/release/30845

After looking on discogs at some of the other releases I am interested in it turns out that I may have exaggerated a bit. SOME* of Warp's back catalogue is prohibitively expensive. 

May 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 9,820

Warp is a seminal label alright - I'm with you on compilation albums generally but yeah, Artificial Intelligence I + II are right up there with the best. There was also a lesser known comp around the same time called The Philosophy of Sound and Machine on Rephlex which is well worth checking out. The earliest releases on Warp and Rephlex took their cue from Detroit I think, but along with Skam went on to define the blueprint for electronica into the 90s. Good to know all three labels are still going strong, even though Rephlex's release schedule is somewhat erratic and Skam aren't exactly prolific!

May 7, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 9,820
  I was talking about the records with regard to price:
e.g. http://www.discogs.com/Other-People-Place-Lifestyles-Of-The-Laptop-Caf%C3%A9/release/30845

After looking on discogs at some of the other releases I am interested in it turns out that I may have exaggerated a bit. SOME* of Warp's back catalogue is prohibitively expensive. 

The problem is that back in the day they would have been fairly limited runs so as the profile of the label has increased, there's more interest in digging up the back catalogue - anything they don't re-press is gonna sky rocket in value. The price of some records from Skam's MASK series is off the scale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back