Techno, Electro & Underground Beats
Apr 26, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #4,565 of 9,916
@WraithApe you have started this amazing and lively thread back in 2014. Thanks a lot for that. It is a very rich source of inspiration for all of us, discovering new artists, new labels, new sonoroties, but also remembering old loves and forgotten favorites.

Right on, well put. I wasn't aware it's been running for years! Yesterday I checked random pages and thought to myself it could be a or even the go-to source for these genres. Gotta say I love the Bandcamp links most because of all of the release information directly available. As always there's a flipside, I tend to spend more time than I really want :expressionless:

I might have started the thread but I don't own it, it's for everyone - anything goes, as long as it fits the bill, and right now, everything does

On the topic of anything goes, sometimes I'm unsure if tracks would fit because I mostly decide what to post based on what I think is the overall flavour of the thread.
What is your and people's take on down-tempo stuff maybe in the direction of quality deep house (something like this) or for example non-4/4 ''IDM'' oriented music?

While we're at it WA, what did you more specifically have in mind when you said ''Underground Beats''?

:v:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #4,566 of 9,916
From the 5min mark, hypnotic house as hell

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #4,567 of 9,916
Right on, well put. I wasn't aware it's been running for years! Yesterday I checked random pages and thought to myself it could be a or even the go-to source for these genres. Gotta say I love the Bandcamp links most because of all of the release information directly available. As always there's a flipside, I tend to spend more time than I really want :expressionless:

And more money in my case :grimacing: But yeah, Bandcamp links are my favourite too - such a great platform; it's been a revelation to me these last 5 years.

On the topic of anything goes, sometimes I'm unsure if tracks would fit because I mostly decide what to post based on what I think is the overall flavour of the thread.
What is your and people's take on down-tempo stuff maybe in the direction of quality deep house (something like this) or for example non-4/4 ''IDM'' oriented music?

While we're at it WA, what did you more specifically have in mind when you said ''Underground Beats''?
:v:

Oh, absolutely up for all flavours of house, downtempo and basically anything predominantly electronic with a beat, no matter how broken :slight_smile: I didn't intend it to be for beatless, ambient stuff - there's a dedicated thread for ambient and also Blake's eclectic thread, where music like that is better suited to my mind. And all I really meant by Underground Beats was stuff somewhat outside the mainstream, not necessarily mega obscure, just things your average punter probably wouldn't be aware of.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #4,568 of 9,916
I love bandcamp as a platform, but ITT I actually prefer youtube vids because with the bandcamp links all I see is the artwork but no artist/track title info, at least when on mobile (which I'm always on head-fi). Or am I overlooking something? Sorry if this has been discussed.
Looking forward to everyone's top five, even though it's almost impossible for me to say what mine are. So many great chunes over the decades ...

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #4,569 of 9,916
I love bandcamp as a platform, but ITT I actually prefer youtube vids because with the bandcamp links all I see is the artwork but no artist/track title info, at least when on mobile (which I'm always on head-fi). Or am I overlooking something? Sorry if this has been discussed.
Looking forward to everyone's top five, even though it's almost impossible for me to say what mine are. So many great chunes over the decades ...

I never access this site on my mobile, but on the laptop, you just hover over the Bandcamp link and get the artist/album name and a link. Click on the link and it takes you to the Bandcamp page where you get all the track details. As I say though, dunno whether that's the same on mobile - presumably not?

Yeah, I dunno how I'd even approach a top 5 tracks personally. I could maybe just about do a top 5 for a specific artist!

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #4,570 of 9,916
I never access this site on my mobile, but on the laptop, you just hover over the Bandcamp link and get the artist/album name and a link. Click on the link and it takes you to the Bandcamp page where you get all the track details. As I say though, dunno whether that's the same on mobile - presumably not?

Yeah, I dunno how I'd even approach a top 5 tracks personally. I could maybe just about do a top 5 for a specific artist!
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Basic Channel
Boards Of Canada
Kraftwerk
:wink:

(Sorry, Plastikman ...)

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #4,571 of 9,916
Bandcamp is great. I wish Tidal worked here. My exploration is often through Tidal. My current setup is:

RoonServer>[ethernet]>streamer>[usb]>DAC>..amp>..headphones

At home, my laptop is really out of the main listening loop. Sending YouTube/ Bandcamp streaming to the streamer is possible, but an odd path. Usually, I'll search the titles through Roon to Tidal (often the content is there ~75% or so) and listen in my main setup. When I like music, I'll buy the flacs from Bandcamp. At my office I connect with my laptop and will explore Bandcamp sometimes there, but it is not mostly optimal for discovery IMO (unless I am using naively - probable).

Lately I have been using last.fm 'neighbours' to find other listeners like me and check out what they are listening to. This works only if you you 'scroble' to last.fm, then you can go here: https://www.last.fm/user/YOUR_USER_NAME/neighbours. It will list users with taste like yours. I have had good luck prospecting there. This thread has been fruitful for exploration, for the short time I have been here. Thanks all for sharing.

Top somethingorother ... I really like the well-produced stuff best - across electronic genres. I float around a lot, but here are miscellaneous thoughts:
  • Lately: {Bluetech, Tipper, Botany}
  • General fan of: {Koan Sound, Ark Patrol, Obeson, Mura Masa, Caribou}
  • DnB: {Naibu, Om Unit}
  • Downtempo: {edapollo, Floating Points}
  • Vocal-electronic: {Petit Biscuit, James Blake, Catching Flies}
  • Some of my "gear audition tracks": {Interstella: by Arktkt, All I've Got: by Rufus Du Sol, Volcano Zone: by Ramazoid, Runnin: by Obeson, Junkie: by Kill Paris}
Perhaps more than requested ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back