TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #706 of 1,869
Adapters are a thing but you can't go from SE to BAL. You can go the other way though
Do you mean your amp output can be SE (e.g. 3.5mm) so you can run a 3.5 male to 2.5 female adapter, but not the other way around? Balanced output from the source (2.5 or 4.4) to 3.5 SE cable wouldn't work? Thanks.

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #707 of 1,869
Do you mean your amp output can be SE (e.g. 3.5mm) so you can run a 3.5 male to 2.5 female adapter, but not the other way around? Balanced output from the source (2.5 or 4.4) to 3.5 SE cable wouldn't work? Thanks.
Yep, exactly. I am not qualified to fully explain why but my understanding is something with the load can blow the amp. I hope someone else can clarify in more detail

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #708 of 1,869
Oh, thanks for the fast responses. By best gear I mean the one I enjoy and use the most: an AR-M2 dap which only has 3.5mm SE output, but's powerful enough I believe, and dac/amp Questyle CMA400i, which has both 3.5mm SE (6.35mm to be precise) and 2.5mm balanced (plus 4pin XLR that I've never used). Most of the times I use the latest through its 2.5 output. I intend to use the serratus with both.
What I meant is something like the Dunu HULK cable, which has an adaptor through which you can connect to a different SE or balanced outputs. So the cable is the same, you only mount 3.5 or 2.5 or 4.4 whenever you want to on it.

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #709 of 1,869
Oh, thanks for the fast responses. By best gear I mean the one I enjoy and use the most: an AR-M2 dap which only has 3.5mm SE output, but's powerful enough I believe, and dac/amp Questyle CMA400i, which has both 3.5mm SE (6.35mm to be precise) and 2.5mm balanced (plus 4pin XLR that I've never used). Most of the times I use the latest through its 2.5 output. I intend to use the serratus with both.
What I meant is something like the Dunu HULK cable, which has an adaptor through which you can connect to a different SE or balanced outputs. So the cable is the same, you only mount 3.5 or 2.5 or 4.4 whenever you want to on it.
Right, in that case you should ask TGX to make you a 2.5 mm BAL then you can order a 2.5 bal to 3.5 mm SE adaptor from a reputable seller on AliX.

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #710 of 1,869
Right, in that case you should ask TGX to make you a 2.5 mm BAL then you can order a 2.5 bal to 3.5 mm SE adaptor from a reputable seller on AliX.
I guess you could also go for a 4.4mm termination then use adapters, including XLR to 4.4mm. It seems the industry is moving away from 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm as the standard for balanced output on portable devices. Not sure TGX has got as far as interchangeable cable terminations just yet.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #711 of 1,869
@tgx78 - I believe you mentioned a while back that Ripples will be available soon in a steel bell housing. Is that correct? How are things looking in terms of availability, if so?

Thanks.
I am currently finalizing the stainless steel shell for the Ripples.
Should be available at the end of February.

The Serratus and the other models, how wide is the shell in diameter?
The shell diameter is 16.7mm.

16.9mm with stock foam covers.

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #712 of 1,869
24 hours with Ripples and I just ordered a Serratus. This sound with a wider stage!? I'm in! If only I could have started right here.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #713 of 1,869
It’s been a great weekend with the Ripples. The musicality on the Ripples is amazing. I am absolutely in love with how they give violins and violas a sweetness that makes them sound so natural and romantic. It’s really something special that I don’t think I’ve heard in any of the IEMs or headphones I’ve tried so far.

Seriously debating whether to buy a Serratus now too but not sure if my Mojo2 will be good enough to drive it properly. So I’ll give my wallet a break for now.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #714 of 1,869
It’s been a great weekend with the Ripples. The musicality on the Ripples is amazing. I am absolutely in love with how they give violins and violas a sweetness that makes them sound so natural and romantic. It’s really something special that I don’t think I’ve heard in any of the IEMs or headphones I’ve tried so far.

Seriously debating whether to buy a Serratus now too but not sure if my Mojo2 will be good enough to drive it properly. So I’ll give my wallet a break for now.
I think you will be fine with the Serratus. If you check the sources under me, you'll see modest equipment. The Serratus scales beautifully with any source. The smallest one I use is the 5K and it performs admirably. But even a small jump to the R3 gives it a nice boost in details. And using a larger DAP or the Gryphon makes the Serratus sound 🤌🏻 "chef's kiss".

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #715 of 1,869

I, too, spent the weekend with my new Ripples. The result, I ordered Serratus to hear that stage!! Tgx tuning is spectacularly good, so I'm just going in deeper. And I've gone and bought a Gryphon to pump up the volume.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #716 of 1,869
Ordered the Ripples last night. Excited to hear what they’re like.

Only have over ears and IEMs in my collection so hopefully a nice addition to the lineup.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #717 of 1,869
I think you will be fine with the Serratus. If you check the sources under me, you'll see modest equipment. The Serratus scales beautifully with any source. The smallest one I use is the 5K and it performs admirably. But even a small jump to the R3 gives it a nice boost in details. And using a larger DAP or the Gryphon makes the Serratus sound 🤌🏻 "chef's kiss".
Awesome thanks for the input. In that case I might just end up pulling the trigger sometime this week. Wasn’t sure if the 300 ohms would be an issue since Ripples is only 100 ohms and I could already tell more power did wonders on it (still sounded great on even just an apple dongle though).

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #718 of 1,869
I, too, spent the weekend with my new Ripples. The result, I ordered Serratus to hear that stage!! Tgx tuning is spectacularly good, so I'm just going in deeper. And I've gone and bought a Gryphon to pump up the volume.
The Ripples have convinced me to dive deeper into the rabbit hole. Never thought earbuds would make it into my regular lineup. I’m thinking about getting the Serratus for that stage and slightly brighter/analytical tonality that sounds like it’ll complement Ripples musicality perfectly.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #719 of 1,869
The Ripples have convinced me to dive deeper into the rabbit hole. Never thought earbuds would make it into my regular lineup. I’m thinking about getting the Serratus for that stage and slightly brighter/analytical tonality that sounds like it’ll complement Ripples musicality perfectly.
You won't be disappointed, if I may say so. I've got both and they definitely complement each other.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #720 of 1,869
You won't be disappointed, if I may say so. I've got both and they definitely complement each other.
And that's what I want too, thus 24 hours with Ripples for me ordering new Serratus.

The experience of the buds is not unlike the enigma that is audeze lcd-i4. Only, you have to EQ the crap out of the lcdi4, where TGX delivers his beauties sounding perfect out of the box. I wish I could send tgx my LCDs so he could tune them to his sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back