That moment where in a song you've heard hundreds of times, you hear something new because of new cans
Jan 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
Low Skies is the band. Cousin is the song. I've heard it 524 times according to Itunes. But that's only sitting at the computer, not in the car, or on my mp3 player. I can't say if I've listened to it on the DT880 since getting the E9 amplifier but tonight I heard it on my new Q701's and heard something that I had never noticed in 500+ listenings.

This song is a duet....Buried deep in the mix, and only on certain lines, there is a female voice singing in perfect harmony to the lead, to sound like one single voice, Beatles style. There are no women in the band, and no female vocalists anywhere else on the album. They buried her voice so deeply into the mix it's only there subconsciously on most headphones. I guess they did it to change the character and feeling of those particular lines of the song, to make them less masculine and raw. 

I am floored right now, that I never heard that before. That is what makes a particular headphone truly special to me, when I can listen to a song I've heard hundreds of times, and hear something new.....

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 3
AKG K701 is an incredibly detail revealing can... thats why I have one incoming!!!  I'm going to go through my entire music collection and I'm sure I'll be hearing things for the first time too.  My RS1 and Koss A250 are both fast, snappy-detailed and bright... and they still don't hold a candle to the K701 in this regard.

Reading through your post... Listening to misc Beatles tunes that I have heard over and over again (ad nausium), I'm always hearing new things in the background "behind" the main signature melodies.  They did a lot of multi-track layering in the studio, that you don't hear in main-stream media commercials and the likes.  It ALL COMES OUT on a head-fi rig.

Queen Innuendo is another one... TONS of stuff going on

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Agreed, actually that's not a bad test of a headphones resolution. Play the Beatles and see how well it can separate the super singer "The Beatles" into individual vocalists Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back