The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,887 of 6,349
  These headphones seem to be lightweight. But do they have good durability despite this? If I'm spending $360 on a headphone it should be able to survive at least 4 years if not abused in my opinion.

K712 is built the same as K702.  My K702 has been thoroughly abused for at least 5 years it and sounds great.  The only obvious wear is on the edge of the headband.  If you're careful with yours it will probably look near new in 4 years.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,890 of 6,349

Last but not least we come to the earpads. You're going to call me crazy for this, but I actually prefer the AD700 earpads over the K712's memory foam earpads. Part of that reason has to do with my ears, but only part. If you look closely at the AD700 you might notice that the earpads are more thick and not as flat as the K712's, which get a bit flatter up against the drivers when you put them on. The memory foam also makes the earpads more stiff and seal around your ears, and so my ears feel much warmer with them on compared to the AD700's looser earpads where my ears are almost always cool. I'll never forget the feeling of putting the AD700's on, it's like putting two cool pillows on each ear, and for me that comfort cannot be beat. Something that also bothers me about the K712's earpads is that my ear is almost always rubbing up against the driver, particularly on the left side. If the earpads were more thick and distanced your ear a bit more from the driver like the AD700 does this wouldn't happen, but like I said not all ears will have this problem. But if it does happen to you, you can say goodbye to long comfortable listening sessions. I guess it just comes to show more expensive materials (leather, memory foam) doesn't always mean improved comfort. But it does improve durability and lifespan for sure. Perhaps there are different earpads from the AKG K line I could put on these to fix these problems, does anyone know?

Yes. The K701 and the Q701 earpads both feature earpads that are angled, thus noticeably more thicker at the back (Early K702's also had angled pads, although the latest Made in China ones seemingly don't). The foam on the angled pads is much harder as well and don't compress, preventing the pads squishing and having your ears touch the driver covering on them as long as you wear them properly, IMO. I'm currently using a K702 with angled pads and flat headband and the comfort is awesome to me.

Q701's and early K701's however, of course have the headband bumps of death that kills headband comfort completely (though the latest Made in China K701's apparently don't), and the angled pads will of course change the sound from how the K712 sounds quite a bit.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #3,891 of 6,349
I had AKG Q701, K612, and K712 all at the same time, putting the Q701 pads on the K712 changed the sound a bit but still sounded different than my Q701 (which has thousands of hours of use). I waffled on which earpad I thought was more comfortable, the stock K712 pad was slightly softer to the touch IMO, but the Q701 angles were more roomy, ultimately the more comfortable pad was whichever one I hadn't been heated up by wearing them for the past 4 hours >:D

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,892 of 6,349
I had AKG Q701, K612, and K712 all at the same time, putting the Q701 pads on the K712 changed the sound a bit but still sounded different than my Q701 (which has thousands of hours of use). I waffled on which earpad I thought was more comfortable, the stock K712 pad was slightly softer to the touch IMO, but the Q701 angles were more roomy, ultimately the more comfortable pad was whichever one I hadn't been heated up by wearing them for the past 4 hours >
biggrin.gif

Maybe some day we will have pads that use electricity to cool your ears haha.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,893 of 6,349
Had these for just under a month now and I'm very happy with them. My initial concerns with having too much bottom end have gone... Disclaimer: don't believe or disbelieve in burn-in. But these do sound different than they did a month ago. If you look at my earlier posts I'm banging on about the amount of bass and the need to eq it down. Still using the same hd600 to compare, the bass is now on level with the Senn's - only tighter. The senn's bass has more impact but is woolier. No eq for these now. 

These are amazing headphones if you give them enough time... The imaging is very natural and open. But it's the detail maintained with complex pieces that I'm constantly impressed with, especially at the low end. There's not many hp's can pull this off without drying up the bass. The LCD2's spring to mind here in comparison to the quality of bass. The 600/650's sound blurred/unfocused in comparison.

I'm gonna bang on about the treble here again because I think its an important point with this line of hp's. They have defo fixed the nasal upper midrange. There is still extra bite however, maybe a hair more than the HE500 but nowhere near Grado styley. But the HD800 sound brighter and so do the HD600! I find both those Senn's more fatiguing than the K712 over long periods even though the 712's are sharper sounding than the hd600. 

Just some food for thought... :)

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,894 of 6,349
Had these for just under a month now and I'm very happy with them. My initial concerns with having too much bottom end have gone... Disclaimer: don't believe or disbelieve in burn-in. But these do sound different than they did a month ago. If you look at my earlier posts I'm banging on about the amount of bass and the need to eq it down. Still using the same hd600 to compare, the bass is now on level with the Senn's - only tighter. The senn's bass has more impact but is woolier. No eq for these now. 

These are amazing headphones if you give them enough time... The imaging is very natural and open. But it's the detail maintained with complex pieces that I'm constantly impressed with, especially at the low end. There's not many hp's can pull this off without drying up the bass. The LCD2's spring to mind here in comparison to the quality of bass. The 600/650's sound blurred/unfocused in comparison.

I'm gonna bang on about the treble here again because I think its an important point with this line of hp's. They have defo fixed the nasal upper midrange. There is still extra bite however, maybe a hair more than the HE500 but nowhere near Grado styley. But the HD800 sound brighter and so do the HD600! I find both those Senn's more fatiguing than the K712 over long periods even though the 712's are sharper sounding than the hd600. 

Just some food for thought... :)

Glad you are enjoying them so much. Out of curiosity have you ever found the soundstage to lack depth on them? I have found it the case on certain amps and systems. It's somewhat the case on my system and it does kind of bothers me as I have heard them with a lot more depth on other systems.

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,895 of 6,349
Hmm maybe if I tried the K712s I wouldn't of felt the need to get the HD800s.  I need to try them out sometime.

I had gone from the Q701 and loved the sound after the bass mod to extend it a bit better; however the treble spikes were a bit too much for many genres of music and watching anime.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,896 of 6,349
Glad you are enjoying them so much. Out of curiosity have you ever found the soundstage to lack depth on them? I have found it the case on certain amps and systems. It's somewhat the case on my system and it does kind of bothers me as I have heard them with a lot more depth on other systems.

Soz for the late reply bud.. 
Absolutely not! Depth is amazing on my system (only tried them with my Beresford hp amp other than my main NAD amps) I'm kind of in a good place in regards to amps at the moment and have been for over a year. After trying many mid-price hp amps with the hd800 I finally found what I'd describe as a very "musical and dynamic" sound with vintage NAD amps... Not going to bang on too much as I've advocated them enough on the vintage thread haha (other than I own 4 of them as back ups!). But all the time I owned the HD800 I also always had an AKG handy, and these played very well with the amps too. So I kind of trust the sound I get with the NAD's and the K712. 

Depending on the recording the midrange can sound a little distant with strings and other mid-range instruments.. But the depth from timpani/drums - bass to violins/guitar vocals and cymbals etc is a world away from the earlier AKG KQ's imo. The more focused imaging is helping here, but also the richer timbre reproduction.

But I would say, that more power will always give you more body. And as you already know, you can't give these enough... 

Hmm maybe if I tried the K712s I wouldn't of felt the need to get the HD800s.  I need to try them out sometime.

I had gone from the Q701 and loved the sound after the bass mod to extend it a bit better; however the treble spikes were a bit too much for many genres of music and watching anime.

If you are happy with the HD800 (and I can't imagine anyone not being! Sold mine for camera gear..) Then I wouldn't worry about the K712. Side by side the Senn's will win everytime. 

Having said that - My HD800 are becoming a distant memory now and although I did end up missing them when I only had the HD600 for company, I don't miss them at all right now.. Time will tell. 
All a matter of taste my friend. But I do remember quoting a few years ago, if I could have the HE500 treble with the LCD2 bass, encompassed with the HD800 imaging I would have the perfect headphone. The K712 is not all that... But its characteristics are not far off. Understand, I'm not saying it is better than any of those hp's but it does have a lot of pleasing elements that remind me of the above hp's sound sigs. I've always been big on tonality, its soooo important in sound reproduction. If you don't have that, then the amazing bass - soundstage etc don't mean schitt. But these AKG's have now got that... And a lot more :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #3,897 of 6,349
  Soz for the late reply bud.. 
Absolutely not! Depth is amazing on my system (only tried them with my Beresford hp amp other than my main NAD amps) I'm kind of in a good place in regards to amps at the moment and have been for over a year. After trying many mid-price hp amps with the hd800 I finally found what I'd describe as a very "musical and dynamic" sound with vintage NAD amps... Not going to bang on too much as I've advocated them enough on the vintage thread haha (other than I own 4 of them as back ups!). But all the time I owned the HD800 I also always had an AKG handy, and these played very well with the amps too. So I kind of trust the sound I get with the NAD's and the K712. 

Depending on the recording the midrange can sound a little distant with strings and other mid-range instruments.. But the depth from timpani/drums - bass to violins/guitar vocals and cymbals etc is a world away from the earlier AKG KQ's imo. The more focused imaging is helping here, but also the richer timbre reproduction.

But I would say, that more power will always give you more body. And as you already know, you can't give these enough... 

Must be my amp then as it definitely does vary depending on the tubes, but is never enough, its only my DAC that seems to be making the amp sound good enough for me, but I'm not getting enough listening pleasure out of my system regardless of headphone. I remember hearing my K712 on my friends system and the depth was awesome. Some reason on my system the K712 lacks in depth compared to the HD 600/650 and DT 150. I really need to get a new amp sometime. I've been rather disappointed with the Lyr 2 overall to be honest. It sounds good with about everything but its always been a little dull sounding, it is better than my previous amp the quite cheap Hifiman EF2A for sure, but the EF2A was a lot funner to listen to. I'm not sure if I want to get something like the WA6(as I found it a good pairing with the K712 and my other phones) or something else, but I'm considering a better amp as my next purchase. 

More power helps, but then there is also the amps quality and sound character to factor in. I think I'm done with Schiit gear, everything I've heard of theirs is a bit dull and lacking life.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #3,898 of 6,349
After about 100 hours the K712 is coming along nicely.  There is far more detail and overtones than with the well used K702.  I could do a comparison with the HD800 & LCD-3 but they both have custom cables installed and it wouldn't be even close to a fair comparison.  

I'd love to make up a custom balanced cable for the K712, but that's down the road a bit.  FWIW, Moon Audio has Dragon cables for K702 & K712.  The Silver Dragon V3 does amazing things for the LCD-3.  I'm sure it would be fabulous on the K712.  

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #3,899 of 6,349
Hi guys, I'm finding dac/amp to pair with AKG k712 pro I made some list but you can suggest me with these prices range.

Geek Out 1000
meridian explorer
Audio-gd NFB-11
Fiio E9k or E12 
Schiit Vali
ALO NATIONAL+ BLACK

which should I go for and how about the sound will look like each?

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,900 of 6,349
  Hi guys, I'm finding dac/amp to pair with AKG k712 pro I made some list but you can suggest me with these prices range.

Geek Out 1000
meridian explorer
Audio-gd NFB-11
Fiio E9k or E12 
Schiit Vali
ALO NATIONAL+ BLACK

which should I go for and how about the sound will look like each?

I was impressed with my E9 a few years back.  I used it with my K702's.  It compared favorably with amps costing 3 - 5 times as much !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back