The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2,702 of 4,580
Or I should just say screw it and get the he-500 and get a dac/amp. I'm trying to make this my last purchase ever on headphones

Get whatever makes you most happy. Yea, it costs a lot, but you only get to cry once vs the alternatives. Good luck.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2,703 of 4,580
Or I should just say screw it and get the he-500 and get a dac/amp. I'm trying to make this my last purchase ever on headphones

Many have had your thoughts........
o2smile.gif
, and failed
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,704 of 4,580

That's more than just a bit too subjective to answer without hazard--even if you start from the position that you like the AKG sound signature over that of the Senn.

That would give you better odds with regard to "wow", but not sure about the end game thing--although once again it would increase your odds of getting there.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,705 of 4,580
That's more than just a bit too subjective to answer without hazard--even if you start from the position that you like the AKG sound signature over that of the Senn.

I'm no expert, but providing the following information will help the real experts here (like KC Jag) help you. Consider:
1) What you use these for. Music, gaming, movies, etc.
2) Which genres of music you prefer.
3) If gaming, whether you are using them in a competitive or more casual setting.
4) Which sound signature you prefer.
5) How you're driving them.

Depending on the price, the Philips Fidelio X2, or either a Sennheiser HD600/HD650 may be a better match if they're close in price where you live. One of the reasons the AKGs K7XXs are so popular in the for us in the US is because they're cheaper than their direct competition, at least when new. The value piece is certainly objective and is certainly contingent on your location.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #2,706 of 4,580

Those are all good questions, no doubt.
To the OP as to WOW. That is so very subjective. I have used the K7xx with the Fiio X5, and lately the X5II. They sound very nice with those units.
Really, depending on you expectations, and where you are coming from... that could really be WOW. I think that it is. Especially considering bang for the buck!

What is your budget? No reason to break that ... eating, and rent... utilities.. much more important.
What will be your source?

I found the K7xx to respond well to a Geek Out 400, from the line out to a Garage 1217 Polaris... that is even more WOW. Whether it is worth the around $500 for you to get there... Well you will have to decide.

Recently I got an Emotiva DC1 and Gustard H10. Now that adds to the WOW... but really maybe an extra 10%.
So, how is your budget and how important is the WOW. You can get most of the WOW without busting your budget too badly!

You can easily spend thousands of dollars... but the WOW doesn't correspondingly increase the level of how blown away you are.

You have to remember, when someone else talks about their WOW... it has nothing to do with your WOW.
Perspective my friend...perspective!

The HE 500 can be very, very nice. You will have to spend far more to get it there than the K7xx..
So how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #2,707 of 4,580

Those are all good questions, no doubt.
To the OP as to WOW. That is so very subjective. I have used the K7xx with the Fiio X5, and lately the X5II. They sound very nice with those units.
Really, depending on you expectations, and where you are coming from... that could really be WOW. I think that it is. Especially considering bang for the buck!

What is your budget? No reason to break that ... eating, and rent... utilities.. much more important.
What will be your source?

I found the K7xx to respond well to a Geek Out 400, from the line out to a Garage 1217 Polaris... that is even more WOW. Whether it is worth the around $500 for you to get there... Well you will have to decide.

Recently I got an Emotiva DC1 and Gustard H10. Now that adds to the WOW... but really maybe an extra 10%.
So, how is your budget and how important is the WOW. You can get most of the WOW without busting your budget too badly!

You can easily spend thousands of dollars... but the WOW doesn't correspondingly increase the level of how blown away you are.

You have to remember, when someone else talks about their WOW... it has nothing to do with your WOW.
Perspective my friend...perspective!

The HE 500 can be very, very nice. You will have to spend far more to get it there than the K7xx..
So how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

How far down the rabbit hole indeed
wink_face.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,708 of 4,580
I'm no expert, but providing the following information will help the real experts here (like KC Jag) help you. Consider:
1) What you use these for. Music, gaming, movies, etc.
2) Which genres of music you prefer.
3) If gaming, whether you are using them in a competitive or more casual setting.
4) Which sound signature you prefer.
5) How you're driving them.

Depending on the price, the Philips Fidelio X2, or either a Sennheiser HD600/HD650 may be a better match if they're close in price where you live. One of the reasons the AKGs K7XXs are so popular in the for us in the US is because they're cheaper than their direct competition, at least when new. The value piece is certainly objective and is certainly contingent on your location.

1) Music and gaming
2) All kinds of genres
3) More of a casual setting
4) Balanced
5) For now on-board sound, buy would like to get a dac/amp for desktop or a Xonar Essence STX sound card

Also I live in the US, Bay Area

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #2,709 of 4,580

1) Music and gaming
2) All kinds of genres
3) More of a casual setting
4) Balanced
5) For now on-board sound, buy would like to get a dac/amp for desktop or a Xonar Essence STX sound card

Also I live in the US, Bay Area

Being that I have owned Q701 and K7xx I can say that for me at least X2 beats them both in every way. Gaming You get a lot more detailed sound like the guy is right there...With AKG's it is similar, but it's more like The guy is right there...There! That general direction. :D I can pinpoint a lot more with X2 at least in the few hours of gameplay I had with them so far. Also X2 will fare a lot better in terms of music genres, cause X2 plays them all good. unlike AKG where some music genres won't sound right.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,710 of 4,580
Also X2 will fare a lot better in terms of music genres, cause X2 plays them all good. unlike AKG where some music genres won't sound right.

My experience is that K7XX has a very balanced sound with good bass extension and does quite well with all genres.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #2,711 of 4,580
My experience is that K7XX has a very balanced sound with good bass extension and does quite well with all genres.

Granted it is more balanced than Q701, but not as balanced as X2. At least to my ear. Probably more to do with soundstage to me than how balanced it is. To me K7xx and Q701 loses detail into the distance, it's good for some music I listen to, but not so great for some other types of music. Listening to X2, not only they are revealing, but they have their soundstage limits and You are redescovering new things in your tracks. :D Since X2 is still spacious enough and helps in games due to magic I can hear more hard to hear details in CS:GO which helps Also up and down is determinable, bit more. While AKG is pretty horizontal. K7xx is a bit more vertical, but still hard to tell difference in games top or bottom sounds about the same right at the 0 point.

What I am on about? Whatever...Q701 and K7xx has a special place in my heart, but gaming it is not. and Neither it is daily all arounder.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2,712 of 4,580

Granted it is more balanced than Q701, but not as balanced as X2. At least to my ear. Probably more to do with soundstage to me than how balanced it is. To me K7xx and Q701 loses detail into the distance, it's good for some music I listen to, but not so great for some other types of music. Listening to X2, not only they are revealing, but they have their soundstage limits and You are redescovering new things in your tracks. :D Since X2 is still spacious enough and helps in games due to magic I can hear more hard to hear details in CS:GO which helps Also up and down is determinable, bit more. While AKG is pretty horizontal. K7xx is a bit more vertical, but still hard to tell difference in games top or bottom sounds about the same right at the 0 point.

What I am on about? Whatever...Q701 and K7xx has a special place in my heart, but gaming it is not. and Neither it is daily all arounder.

So K7xx has bigger soundstage for gaming? Or the X2 is bigger? thx.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,713 of 4,580
  So K7xx has bigger soundstage for gaming? Or the X2 is bigger? thx.

I would say that doesn't matter much. K7xx is so wide that you lose detail and any sense of direction at that point. Where as X2 soundstage is more contained and reveals certain things you want to hear like footsteps a bit more. And since you can comperhand the size of the soundstage, you can also tell exact location in game, so X2 wins in gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back