The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Apr 10, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #571 of 726
Do the filaments light when the unit is on?
Is the source sending signal?
Is the input selector switch in the back in the appropriate position?
ie. RCA for RCA input, USB for USB input? If it is in D/A position, it will turn the RCA connectors into OUTPUTs from the internal DAC.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #572 of 726
Do the filaments light when the unit is on? Yes, the tubes are light up
Is the source sending signal? Plugging the headphones directly in the 1/4 plug in my computer sound card, it works
Is the input selector switch in the back in the appropriate position? Yes, and I've tried them all *just in case*
ie. RCA for RCA input, USB for USB input? If it is in D/A position, it will turn the RCA connectors into OUTPUTs from the internal DAC.

As RCA, I did try the two playback methods I can see on my sound card : Speakers (Sound Blaster ZxR), and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (Sound Blaster ZxR DBpro).
As USB, I installed the drivers and set playback to Speakers (USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio).

Either I'm doing both of them wrong, or there is something else wrong.

No need to press on the tubes at all right? Right now they are pretty much "loose". The "head" of the tubes are about 1cm below the glass.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #573 of 726
The tubes should be secure in their respective sockets, but not restrained by the glass top. Does anything change when you move the volume control in the front? How about the H/L switch?

Very strange.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #575 of 726
Ok, we are 9 days further and the WA7 is really loosening up and sounding better every day.
This week I added a pair of Shure SE535's to the line up and downloaded some 24/96 and 24/192 FLACs of Smashing Pumpkins and Lenny Kravitz.
BIG MISTAKE!
How the hell can I go back to Spotify after that?
The DAC inside the WA7 is better than I thought, the detail is simply stunning.
It helps that it is a tube amp, even though it is real detailed (I heard things I have never heard before in songs I have heard 100's of times since the 90's) it still sounds natural...

If you are looking for a DAC/Headphone amp combo and your budget is about $900, put the WA7 on the top of your list.

I have heard many great systems, but that little black cube with its glass top is a top contender.

May 3, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #578 of 726
Have been lusting after a WA7 for a while, hopefully it would pair nicely with my TH600 and/or Sig DJs that I'm getting soon.
However its odd that the DAC in it is sub par and seems like it'd still be better to have a separate DAC feeding it via RCA?
So that is essentially a $1000 tube amp that looks pretty...is the amp section alone worth that price? (versus the WA6 at $400 less). Plus an extra $300 for the new power supply? Seems steep.. For that total price I could get a Burson Soloist, or a Soloist SL + Fostex HPA4 or something. Also wondering if the Fostex HPA4 feeding the WA7 would be a good combo...

Sure a Burson or the like is solid state but I've never really tried tubes so I'm a little skeptical about them, is it really worth it when amps like the Burson and Lehamnn BCL are in the same price range and get rave reviews for their detail, soundstage and impact? I know there's the 'warmth' argument and perhaps it would fill out the TH600 mids more.
The WA7 is a very sexy unit though.. Woulld something like the cheapo Audioengine D1 DAC still be better than the built in WA7 DAC section short term?

May 3, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #580 of 726
  I reckon the WA7 DAC is not half as bad as you think. It's absolutely usable, perhaps just not as good as the amp which is really very good.
You'll have a hard time trying to find something better for less than $500.

Schiit Bifrost Uber :wink:

May 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #581 of 726
Have been lusting after a WA7 for a while, hopefully it would pair nicely with my TH600 and/or Sig DJs that I'm getting soon.
However its odd that the DAC in it is sub par and seems like it'd still be better to have a separate DAC feeding it via RCA?
So that is essentially a $1000 tube amp that looks pretty...is the amp section alone worth that price? (versus the WA6 at $400 less). Plus an extra $300 for the new power supply? Seems steep.. For that total price I could get a Burson Soloist, or a Soloist SL + Fostex HPA4 or something. Also wondering if the Fostex HPA4 feeding the WA7 would be a good combo...

Sure a Burson or the like is solid state but I've never really tried tubes so I'm a little skeptical about them, is it really worth it when amps like the Burson and Lehamnn BCL are in the same price range and get rave reviews for their detail, soundstage and impact? I know there's the 'warmth' argument and perhaps it would fill out the TH600 mids more.
The WA7 is a very sexy unit though.. Woulld something like the cheapo Audioengine D1 DAC still be better than the built in WA7 DAC section short term?

I find the WA7 to be excellent with the built-in dac, as good as or superior to many popular on head-fi. You are going to have to spend about $500 or more to get something better. I am listening to hi-rez files, mostly 24/192 flac or alac and the sound quality is amazing imho. I have other amps and dacs but the WA7 is the bomb! My setup: iMac/Pure Music/WA7/Grado RS1 or PS500. Btw the synergy with PS500 is incredible!

May 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #582 of 726
I find the WA7 to be excellent with the built-in dac, as good as or superior to many popular on head-fi. You are going to have to spend about $500 or more to get something better. I am listening to hi-rez files, mostly 24/192 flac or alac and the sound quality is amazing imho.

This.

It's a solid DAC (though certainly not summit-fi material). I currently run it full time with the amp and don't feel strongly compelled to upgrade. Personally, I find it a bonus and value added to the package. I view it more as a way to get in to a good amp without having to shell out a bunch of additional $ for a DAC. You can always get something better down the road.  

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #585 of 726
Hi mate, unfortunately my amp WA 7 can not read the files above 48 kHz while the other DAC that I own everything works correctly and parameters are set correctly audirvana can someone help me? 
thanks

feature of WA7:

sSpecifica

Users who are viewing this thread

Back