The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Aug 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,441 of 1,921
Quote:
These are very sensitive. The only way an amp will improve them is if the amp you use colors the sound in a way you prefer. 

My findings are different than yours. What amp have you used with them that brings you to say this?

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,442 of 1,921
I have not used any extra amping, just the headphone out on my iPhone and the headphone out of my laptop on a rare occasion. With the volume on my iPhone never exceeding the halfway mark, it seems pretty pointless to carry around extra wires and extra amplification. Im sticking to my statement about these not benifiting from extra amping. The only way an amp will make them sound different or better is if the amp has added coloration that you prefer.

What benifits have you heard from givig these more headroom?

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #1,444 of 1,921
Quote:
I have not used any extra amping, just the headphone out on my iPhone and the headphone out of my laptop on a rare occasion. Im sticking to my statement about these not benifiting from extra amping.

You are surmising that result and stating it like it's a fact.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,445 of 1,921
Hi, I'm currently using the MEElec CC51P which I like. Is the CKM500i a meaningful upgrade from them, will I hear a great improvement in SQ? How durable are they, will I have to baby them? Are the sound signatures similar? I mostly listen to club/house, electronica, hip hop/rap and heavy metal, and like to hear some but not overpowering bass and detail/soundstage in the mids and highs with no muddyness. I don't like painful treble.

Any others I should consider, is this the best choice for me?

Also, if you were looking at Joker's ranking grid here, what number do you think they would get for sound quality?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-249-iems-compared-final-audio-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-sa-added-08-03-12#post_6492059

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #1,446 of 1,921
Quote:
Hi, I'm currently using the MEElec CC51P which I like. Is the CKM500i a meaningful upgrade from them, will I hear a great improvement in SQ? How durable are they, will I have to baby them? Are the sound signatures similar? I mostly listen to club/house, electronica, hip hop/rap and heavy metal, and like to hear some but not overpowering bass and detail/soundstage in the mids and highs with no muddyness. I don't like painful treble.

Any others I should consider, is this the best choice for me?

Also, if you were looking at Joker's ranking grid here, what number do you think they would get for sound quality?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-249-iems-compared-final-audio-fi-ba-sb-and-fi-ba-sa-added-08-03-12#post_6492059

Thanks!

definitely works GREAT for that! the sound is insane!

as for ranking, i had the HSA Crystal which he ranked 8+, and these ARE a total upgrade over them, if that helps

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,447 of 1,921
I never was impressed with the CC51.  The issue with them is not necessarily the overly sparkly overdone highs but the more the mids and low end. The mids sound bowed out or overly forward.. Mids are very important to music and the mids on the CC51 sound wonky then you add the bloaty bass end and the sound is  just not ideal. For EDM it sounds ok but once you hear some acoustics with vocals it is unbearable. Heck the $15 JVC FX101 sounds way better than them

The CKM500 is not just an upgrade from your CC51 but a substantial one.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,448 of 1,921
Quote:
Hi, I'm currently using the MEElec CC51P which I like. Is the CKM500i a meaningful upgrade from them, will I hear a great improvement in SQ?

I used to own the CKM500 and I own the CC51P...the answer to your question is YES.

Quote:

How durable are they, will I have to baby them?  

LOL...my CC51s are falling apart already.  The CKM500 are build very well. 

You will not need to baby them.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,449 of 1,921
The CKM-500 have caused me to start listening to my hip-hop, R&B, and electronic collection again. These are great. Also I'm enjoying through more through my O2+ODAC than my iPod. I'll do more critical listening, but these do seem to benefit from my O2.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,450 of 1,921
These are one of those iems you have to have in the collection as you know your gonna get solid performance and sound out of them..Nothing wrong with a little hip hop.

A true classic.
.  A bit of PE. Flava flave anyone?

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,451 of 1,921
Thanks everyone, I will check them out.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,452 of 1,921
How do you suggest burning them in? Is there a track I should use, and at what volume level? thx

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,453 of 1,921
Quote:
How do you suggest burning them in? Is there a track I should use, and at what volume level? thx

There is no real reason to speed up the break in process. I suggest you just listen to them and break them in by using them. They clear up a little bit with break in, nothing major. So just listen and enjoy them.

Dont listen to me though, im a traitor. I jumped ship for the GR01. :)

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,454 of 1,921
Drum n Bass compilations. And This too http://www.bassdrivearchive.com/flashme/ I use a 5 hour long Drum n Bass compilation. Blasting around 70-80% max volume. So fairly loud. Works wonders.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,455 of 1,921
I wish that the myths of burning in would go away, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I mean those who perpetuate the odd ways it should be done. I saw one guy who had his burning in process in his signature switching between brown and pink noise of various bit rates. I couldn't help but laugh. Seriously burning in happens by just listening to them, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back