The Audeze Maze
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CheekerBreeker

New Head-Fier
Everyone that has looked a a bit into planar headphones will have found Audeze. Looking into audeze you find that they have quite a lot of different audiophile headphones and many undocumented revisions, but the one revision everyone seems to know is the fazor/pre-fazor. With the fazors being more durable but sounding "worse"? Anyway, ive been looking into second hand Audeze's but never know which ones are Fazor and Pre-fazor. Is there a comprehensive list/guide somewhere or is it simply "after x year they stopped with non fazors"?

LCD X
LCD GX (Gaming X)
LCD XC (Closed X)
LCD MX4
LCD 1
LCD 2
LCD 2 Closed
LCD 2 Classic
LCD 3
LCD 3F
LCD 4
LCD 4z
MM100
MM500

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello.

The pre fazor models are LCD 2 and LCD3. That means the early versions of the headphones. On Audezes homepage you can read, how you can tell if the headphones are fazors or non fazors. One method is checking the serial number, another method is checking the driver.

The LCD2 classic is also a non fazor headphone, but the sound to the pre fazor LCD 2 is different.

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Many people clearly recommend the 2021 version and newer of the LCD X. The pre 2021 version is often described as not so good tonaly, but i did not listen to any LCD X. So i do not have my own experience.

I have the LCD2 pre fazor and had the LCD2 classic. The LCD2 pre fazor is much better sounding for me, but hard to get, with older technology.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 5
The only guide is looking into Audeze's website with the serial number to check whether it's from the Fazor or Pre-Fazor magnets array.

I also own an LCD 2 Pre-Fazor from 2013. I've listened to LCD-2 (Fazor), LCD-2C and LCD-2 CB and I can say nothing comes close to a Pre-Fazor LCD 2 in terms of tonality. It's kind of unique.

I've also auditioned for LCD-X 2021 and LCD-4z. In my terms, LCD-X is a good headphone with a lot of technicalities but it's not as sweet as my old LCD-2 PF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back