The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 15, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #4,096 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sometimes think that it should be a regular headphone jack, but it grips the plug well, which is important for good sound.

I agree with you Curra, I believe the sound factor is the most important thing out here, even though there was a funny incident (at least for me) attached to it.. The first time I received the Compass, my wife tried one of the old Sony headphones we have - she kind of had a problem taking out the headphones and asked me if there was any password for it !!..
bigsmile_face.gif
.. well, I told her that she had to press the red lever, press she did, but in the process broke her nails !!..and the look she gave me could well have been the worst advertisement for Compass !.. But still I agree with you !!..

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #4,097 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by senn_liu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
direcow, you must be alvin right? i think mine arrived so soon because i ordered pretty early, in mid february. there are still 10 people who did a mass order for the final version waiting for theirs...

Yep Alvin here... I paid 13th of Feb, but maybe you're just that little bit earlier than me...

Nope, not part of the mass order... I MUST GET IT FIRST GRRRT etc... Can't wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #4,098 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you Curra, I believe the sound factor is the most important thing out here, even though there was a funny incident (at least for me) attached to it.. The first time I received the Compass, my wife tried one of the old Sony headphones we have - she kind of had a problem taking out the headphones and asked me if there was any password for it !!..
bigsmile_face.gif
.. well, I told her that she had to press the red lever, press she did, but in the process broke her nails !!..and the look she gave me could well have been the worst advertisement for Compass !.. But still I agree with you !!..

This is funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, the jack really grips the headphone plug. Lately, I attached a grado extension cable so I can change cans easily plus it's long enough for me to listen to my cans while in bed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #4,099 of 7,725
Well, I guess it's a little price to pay for superior sound but I do miss the convenience of the normal jack. I can imagine bringing this to meets and trying different cans with it though, it's going to be a PITA!

20 hours burn-in and so far no major difference in sound except the treble is a little bit smoother now.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #4,100 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the jack really grips the headphone plug. Lately, I attached a grado extension cable so I can change cans easily plus it's long enough for me to listen to my cans while in bed
smily_headphones1.gif

thats a great idea.. maybe I have to try that myself - Thanks..
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

20 hours burn-in and so far no major difference in sound except the treble is a little bit smoother now.

That is the first thing I realized myself.. the next changes I noticed was more focussed sound stage and better dynamics..

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #4,101 of 7,725
this may not be the right place to post this, but just a try:

i've been attempting to use foobar2k/jriver media center-->asio4all v2-->compass via usb. i've set everything up properly as far as i can tell, but there is no output to the compass. any idea why?

in foobar, when i set the output to directsound usb audio device it works fine, but if i choose asio4all, there is no sound. in asio4all itself, i've setup the compass, no problems there.

with jriver, i chose the output as asio4all as well, and asio4all shows up in the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar, but there's no output audio.

really lost here.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #4,105 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computers do that sometimes
smily_headphones1.gif

"Most problems, when ignored, will usually solve themselves."
biggrin.gif

-Ancient system administrator wisdom

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #4,106 of 7,725
Media Monkey FTW!!!

Easiest file management system with complete customization from what mp3 decoder you want to use and Otachan's ASIO > Foobar ASIO

And still think Foobar's internal software volume control is complete BS.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #4,108 of 7,725
That is still works in ASIO output. ASIO output is supposed to eliminate any changes to the music and just output it to your specified device.

WinAmp, Media Monkey and probably any other software MP3 players completely disable volume control when using ASIO output. Also with Foobar I'm constantly having to remap the channels when I use Compass or if just use internal soundcard, and well I'm fed up, tired of doing it, it's annoyed me too many times already.

Foobar knows better or something. And they have made it harder so it seems plugins are only for Foobar. Whereas plugins for Winamp And Media Monkey are not proprietary.

But if you don't mind what Foobar is doing, it's a great media player.

FYI, if you can figure out Foobar's confusing customization, the version 0.8.3 can use Otachan and disable volume control. haloxt has linked various ways to setup media players and instructions for the 0.8.3 version of Foobar.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #4,109 of 7,725
Anyone else get that channel remapping issue with foobar? I've only had it reset on me once but I can't repeat it, would like to know what's causing it though.

mbd2884: I made a mistake in that PM I sent you, I meant to say 0.9x and 0.8x (not 0.9x again lol) both have volume control BECAUSE it is a built-in DSP. Asio connects the media player to the compass in a more direct path, avoiding window's volume control. But leaving volume control off might be best for sound quality, I'm not sure.

senn liu: If your compass is off it will not be detected by the computer. If anyone wants a step by step guide to setting up ASIO go to page 237, it's probably not perfect so let me know if you run into any trouble with the guide.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #4,110 of 7,725
Foobar doesn't offer you two different output devices with Asio? (one for compass, and one for internal sound card) Been awhile since I've messed with it, but I believe you should be able to have 2 configured virtual Asio devices and forgo the need to remap.

Will look into the 0.8.3 with otachan, sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back