The Basshead Club
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4,442 of 11,286
Quote:
From Amazon's review, it seems like they sound like the Q40. Lot's of bass and shrill highs is what the Q40s are known for. Both have a 40mm driver, but they're probably not the same.  

I've had LP2 and now have used Q40 for well over a year. They are far from the same:

- LP2 is noticably bassier, to the point it bleeds slightly into the midrange
- Highs are very veiled on LP2, I had to EQ up 8kHz by 3.5dB and 16kHz by 5.5dB to get it somewhat in-line with the midrange.
- LP2 have a nasty upper-mids resonance spike probably around 2 - 4kHz, I think the graphs hints @ 3.5kHz which makes some female vocals distort

The Q40 is slightly bright out of box but it changes with burn-in as well as I personally did a padmod to deepen the pads which tamed down the highs by aprox 1-2dB or so which was perfect for me, today it's not as bright as it was out of box though, the 9kHz spike was definitely noticable then (I remember playing Skyrim then and had problem with a lightning spell being a bit harsh but if I try it today it's just not harsh at all) but it's just not there anymore, at times I think I could use a touch more highs today when listening to it, it went from slightly too bright to me from possibly being slightly too dark but it's always been thereabouts around neutral level with the highs, quite in line with the mids but it's also important to use at least SOME amping with them IMO as the midrange just gets better if amped and takes over more from the highs presence. A slightly warm amp works fine, neutral to slightly on the warmer side but I wouldn't pair any amp that is bright & analytical, it's probably a bad fit. A lot of people are pairing it with FiiO E11 but I'm not so sure that's such a good fit, it could probably benefit more by sliiightly warmer one.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4,443 of 11,286
Quote:

I've had LP2 and now have used Q40 for well over a year. They are far from the same:

- LP2 is noticably bassier, to the point it bleeds slightly into the midrange
- Highs are very veiled on LP2, I had to EQ up 8kHz by 3.5dB and 16kHz by 5.5dB to get it somewhat in-line with the midrange.
- LP2 have a nasty upper-mids resonance spike probably around 2 - 4kHz, I think the graphs hints @ 3.5kHz which makes some female vocals distort

The Q40 is slightly bright out of box but it changes with burn-in as well as I personally did a padmod to deepen the pads which tamed down the highs by aprox 1-2dB or so which was perfect for me, today it's not as bright as it was out of box though, the 9kHz spike was definitely noticable then but it's just not there anymore, at times I think I could use a touch more highs today when listening to it, it went from slightly too bright to me from possibly being slightly too dark but it's always been thereabouts around neutral level with the highs, quite in line with the mids but it's also important to use at least SOME amping with them IMO as the midrange just gets better if amped and takes over more from the highs presence. A slightly warm amp works fine, neutral to slightly on the warmer side.

I think Trae was speculating on the Q40 compared to the NuForce HP-800.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4,445 of 11,286
Quote:
Interesting how two people can hear the same headphone so differently.  I found this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-HP-800-Monitor-Class-Professionals-Enthusiasts/product-reviews/B00ADG99V2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

@MacedonianHero- any chance of comparing the NuForce HP-800 to the M-100 or UE6000 or M-Audio Q40?  I am impressed they offer aluminum cups at their price point.

Easy...he's likely a "treble-head". You know, the kind that are afraid of any bass whatsoever. 
size]
  (Being an AKG fan kinda says that to me). Yes, these are basshead headphones, no doubt...they are fun sounding (and not neutral). But that said, what they do is pretty good. Their bass is deep, textured and defined...not bloated and wooly like say the Beats' bass.

I only briefly heard the UE6000s once and from memory, they were "bass friendly" headphones as well. I really liked them. But I need to do a side-by-side to really comment further. I haven't heard the Q40s or M100s. Sorry.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,446 of 11,286
Hmmm. I guess shrill and sibilant isn't the same word, my bad. RPGWiZaRD, I was trying to compare the HP-800 to the Q40. I guess we won't truly know until someone buys one or the other, or both. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4,447 of 11,286
Quote:
From everything I have read, the LP2 is a bass monster with more bass than either the M50 or D2000, but they don't have nearly the high end extension of the others and probably not as good mids.  The LP2 is good for rap and EDM, where the M50 and D2000 are more versatile.  The only one of the three I have heard is the M50 and they are not for a basshead.

When i mentioned the 2000 i was talking about the hdj-2000's, after reading some reviews about them nobody have anything negative to say about them. The only thing i really dont like about the pioneers is the cord

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4,450 of 11,286
Quote:
so let me get this straight...I will get better overall sound ( sound quality & bass) than the m50 and lp2's with the 2000's? And if the pioneers Is that good, why no one talk about them?

The HDJ-2000 definitely has an overall better bass presentation than both the LP2 and the M50. The low-end isn't as bass shy as the M50, but it certainly isn't as huge a bass monster as the LP2. Clarity on the Pioneers are about on par with the M50, but I find the latter having a slightly more recessed mid-range. Treble extension is about equal, but the HDJ-2000 definitely has more mid-bass and better sub-bass extension.

The HDJ series is a pretty solid line of headphones; they sound really good with EDM, where the V-shaped sound signature of the Pioneer cans really shine.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,451 of 11,286
Quote:
When i mentioned the 2000 i was talking about the hdj-2000's, after reading some reviews about them nobody have anything negative to say about them. The only thing i really dont like about the pioneers is the cord

Well, as the cord is replaceable, you can get a non-coiled version. Personally, I like coiled cables on my cans.

Quote:
They weren't nearly as comfortable as the 2000's or the 1000's and personally I expected them to be similar in sound to the 2000'sjust cheaper.

I think that part of the reason why the HDJ-1500 isn't as comfortable as the 2000 is due to the pads. I was quite surprised that they were supra-aural cans.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4,452 of 11,286
Quote:
Since this is the Basshead Club thread, these cans may be very appealing to those subscribed here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640961/nuforce-hp-800/45#post_9074921

Great boomy bass and not woobly or wooly like the Monster or Beats headphones.

Quote:
Can anyone compare the V-moda M-100 with the NuForce HP800? Or maybe suggest similar alternatives under and around $300?

Quote:
Easy...he's likely a "treble-head". You know, the kind that are afraid of any bass whatsoever. 
size]
  (Being an AKG fan kinda says that to me). Yes, these are basshead headphones, no doubt...they are fun sounding (and not neutral). But that said, what they do is pretty good. Their bass is deep, textured and defined...not bloated and wooly like say the Beats' bass.

I only briefly heard the UE6000s once and from memory, they were "bass friendly" headphones as well. I really liked them. But I need to do a side-by-side to really comment further. I haven't heard the Q40s or M100s. Sorry.

I just ordered the HP-800 from NuForce and will be happy to provide comparisons.  It may take a week or so.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #4,453 of 11,286
I see the hdj-2000 on amazon for as low as $215-$225 are they worth the extra $30 over the V-Moda Crossfade Lp2 which are $199? Only thing i dont like about the pioneers is the cord but i think i may be able to deal with it

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4,454 of 11,286
Quote:
I see the hdj-2000 on amazon for as low as $215-$225 are they worth the extra $30 over the V-Moda Crossfade Lp2 which are $199? Only thing i dont like about the pioneers is the cord but i think i may be able to deal with it

Both have really different sounds, really. The LP2 really has a lot of bass at stock levels, and unless you're a huge basshead, I would suggest that you go with the HDJ-2000.

What cans have you auditioned and liked? Maybe we can offer good alternatives based on your preferences. :)

A good suggestion is the Ultrasone HFI 580 / DJ1. You might want to read up on reviews of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back