The Basshead Club
Mar 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #5,176 of 11,286
Anyway folks, do you think it's time to clean up the headphones recommendation list? This is from my list, which is referenced from Parall3l's post on the first page. I have added a few which I think are good basshead cans. If there are some headphones that you feel should be added to this list, please do share them with us! Remember, there is no such as thing as too much bass! 
L3000.gif

AIAIAI
TMA-1

Audeze
LCD-2
LCD-3

Audio-Technica
ES7
ES700
ES10
PRO500MK2
PRO700
PRO700MK2
WS55 Solid Bass
WS77 Solid Bass
WS99 Solid Bass

AKG
K81 DJ
K181 DJ
K518 DJ
K167 TIESTO
K267 TIESTO

Beats by Dr. Dre
Beats Mixr
Beats Pro
Beats Studio

Beyerdynamic
Custom One Pro
DT770 PRO
DT990 PRO

Creative
Aurvana Live!

Denon
D400
DN-HP700
DN-HP1000
D1001
D1100
D2000
D5000
D7000

Equation Audio
RP-22x

Fostex
TH-600
TH-900

HiFiMAN
HE-400

JVC
DX700
DX1000
HA-M5X
HA-S4X

Klipsch
Image One

Lawton Audio
Modded LA2000 Lite, LA2000, LA7000

M-Audio
Q40

Monoprice
MHP-839

NuForce
HP-800

Panasonic
RP-HTF600

Phiaton
MS 400

Philips
CitiScape Downtown
CitiScape Shibuya / Metro
Fidelio L1

Pioneer
HDJ-500
HDJ-1000
HDJ-1500
HDJ-2000
SE-MJ591

Prodipe
Pro800

PSB
M4U 2

Reloop

RHP-10
RHP-20

Sennheiser
HD25-1 II
HD25 Amperior
Momentum
PX100-II

Shure
SRH550DJ
SRH750DJ

Skullcandy
Aviator
Hesh 2
Mix Master Mike

Smeggy Thunderpants
Modded Fostex T50RP

Sony
V55
V700
XB200
XB300
XB400
XB500
XB600
XB700
XB800/900
XB1000
R10 (Bass Version)

Stax
Omega 2

Superlux
HD651

TakeT
H2

Technics
RP-DH1200
DP-DJ1200

Ultrasone
DJ1 Pro
HFI 580 (DJ1)
HFI 780

PRO 750
PRO 900
PRO 2900
Signature DJ

V-MODA
Crossfade LP
Crossfade LP2
Crossfade M-80
Crossfade M-100

Velodyne
VTrue

Yamaha
Pro300
Pro400
Pro500

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #5,177 of 11,286
Quote:
Went to a headphone meet in Austin this weekend and learned a few thing. I got to compare my Q40s to M100 and i concluded thatthey werent worth the price difference The sound wasnt much better and they were also uncomfartble to me. Also got to try the E17 and man is it a huge difference compared to my E7. The bass w/E7 and Q40s is so so sweet. Definatley getting E17

Adam,

I think it's important to mention that you also have a pretty large head. I think you had them full extended on both sides? For me, and everyone else that's tried them, they are shockingly comfortable. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #5,179 of 11,286
im writing this from work were the spell checker (along with almost everything else) is disabled, so i appologize for any spelling mistakes i may make.
Quote:

1- I'm not saying that subjective analysis is worthless either. In reality, you need both in order to really decide what you want. I was just trying to emphasize that objective measurement should be taken more seriously. There are some things that can't be objectively measured like comfort and soundstage, to an extent (nobody really measures soundstage performance nowadays). Objective measurements are nothing more than an indication of what the headphones sound like. Some people aren't able to audition the headphones they want, so they will have to go with the second best: written/video reviews and measurements. 

2- I'm pretty sure that whole paragraph is in my perspective, and I think this is where our perspectives collide.  I choose my headphones according to the specs of the driver, not by what music I listen to. If the driver is good, then it should be good with all types of music. The headphone enclosure generally shapes the driver to cater to a certain genre. For instance, my ad900s stock are generally known for being bass light. Is it because of the driver? No. Throw on better sealing earpads, bend the headband, and you have basshead worthy headphones. 

3- I agree. 

4- Yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from. I should have said so in my previous post. Some people are just that way. 

5- Again, that paragraph was in my perspective (Key words: Unlike you), and I was just giving you my viewpoint: Once you go black, you can't go back 
biggrin.gif

1 - yep, graphs and measurements are good for people like me who simply dont have the option of auditioning the headphones first. but you want people to take them MORE seriously? i think people take them too seriously anyway. they are important, they can be helpful, but at the end of the day, i view them as a tool, a means to an end. many seem to treat them as an end in themselves, seeking better performance measurements and better looking graphs, because they feel this is the only way to determine their value. i disagree, i think value is subjective and the end goal should be your personal preferance.

2 - i dont get what you mean with my vs. your perspective. but as for what you said, keep in mind that not all people are D.I.Yers. i know im quite far from it. so perhaps you need the measurements to determine the abilitys of the driver. but i would read reviews of the ad900x and realize that they arent basshead cans - and then give up on them.

3-4 - im glad we understand each other
beyersmile.png

5 - again, i dont get the perspective thing your talking about. but would you really perfer silence over badly represented music? i dont think i would...
Quote:

Why did I try them?   They were recommended as a great headphone that could be made to produce bass at a level to make a basshead jealous (not exactly those words but that was the gist) while getting all the benefits of an ortho phone.......from someone here who has tried dozens of headphones and seems to be an expert.  

Glad I tried them.  It answered the question I had about them and now I know what I don't want.  

And I must be dense but I have no idea where you live.  No problem.  Anyway, good luck in school.  I have two daughters in school - one at Oregon and one in nursing school.  

oregon?? no, im far from the U.S.A... but thank you for your kind wishes =]
could you comment on the mad dogs bass texture and quality? i understand you found the quantity lacking, but the little that was - was it good? is it compareable to other basshead cans you know of?

Quote:
This. Every review I read only serves to give me an idea of what it sounds like. The actual sound is something different altogether. It's really hard to explain why a headphone sounds better than the other. You can say, "Oh, the treble is more extended, and you can see it in the graphs". These are all objective measurements that only serve as a small window to the big picture. Once you put on the headphones and listen to your favorite tracks, you will instantly know whether this headphone is for you, or not. Some headphones take a tad longer to achieve that feel, but for most of my headphones, I knew I wanted them the moment I listened with them.

Your post really hits home, Oregonian. I really love loads of bass in my cans, as it perfectly complements my taste in music. Detailed cans are good for some, but it's definitely not for me. I've listened to a few hi-fi cans, but they were certainly not involving in the least bit. Yup, everything sounded clearer and more detailed than most, if not all, of my basshead cans, but then.. where's the bass? For what it's worth, I can appreciate these cans for what they are, but at the end of the day, I know what I want to listen to, and there's no way anybody's going to tell me that my choice of cans is lo-fi or at best mid-fi. It's just great-fi to me. 
smile.gif

Frankly speaking, I don't let graphs dominate my choice in headphones. They serve as a tool to provide others with an insight as to a headphone's objective qualities, but it is no way a deciding factor when I am purchasing my headphones. Maybe some people are too caught up in the graphs and the science to truly appreciate the art of it all. After all, that's why we got into this hobby, right?

i think i agree with everything (more or less) that you said there.
as for the science, i do enjoy learning it, i take my time and study little bits at a time to fill in the dead time at work, but other than the hobby side of it, i think the science should be more of a tool for matching your gear with the right counterparts (impedance vs sensitivity for example), and less of a grand cause as others seem to make it out to be.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #5,181 of 11,286
Will a fiio e11 push a pair of DT770 PRO 250 ohms?
Edit: iPod as my source

You will be at the top end of it, it barely drives my DT880 Pro's, get yourself a C&C BH for a few dollars more, much better.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #5,182 of 11,286
Quote:
Adam,

I think it's important to mention that you also have a pretty large head. I think you had them full extended on both sides? For me, and everyone else that's tried them, they are shockingly comfortable. 

Hahaha thats true. The reason why i said that is because i was trying to decide between Q40s Pro900MK2 (which i knew were tight fit) and M100 for myself and went with the Q40s since someone had a new pair for like $70 shiped (i couldnt pass it up). I always wondered if i should of gone with the M100s altho i love my Q40s. So after testing out the M100s im glad I didnt get them because i wouldnt be comfortable using them and IMO the slightly better sound wasnt worth the $200+ difference. Im sure the difference is huge to others but to me it wasnt. The saved $200 will go to an HE400 in the future. 

My comment was more of a personal experience/preference than a comparison. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #5,183 of 11,286

Quote:

Finally some1 who is able to provide feedback on such setup... be sure to use the lower gain setting with BH though xD and yea digiZoid ZO should come last in the chain.

Just letting you know it has arrived, charging at the mo. :)

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5,184 of 11,286
Quote:

Just letting you know it has arrived, charging at the mo. :)

So let us know how you have the chain configured when you do go into listening mode. 

I'm interested how you hook up and how it sounds because I double amp with iPhone4 w/Fiio LOD connector > E-11 with no bass EQ added > ZO on high gain w/highest red contour > either Q40's or DT770 LE 32ohm phones.  And love the sound.  Love it. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #5,185 of 11,286
Ok had a little play, from initial tests the ZO2 is better in the chain via line out then into amp rather than at the end. It is actually pretty obvious sounding. What I will say is that you will certainly find out your phones limitations. Not sure what phones the ZO2`s are aimed at but I am pretty green on the scale here and bassed out.

Edit: Actually yellow (which on the 32 scale is nowt) into my C&C amp, which must be bassy as default as standard. Interesting so far. Momentums can`t take that much bass, weirdly for Sennheiser.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #5,186 of 11,286
Hey all,

I've got the Audio Technica Pro 700 MK2 coming on Thursday. I previously had the M Audio Q40 but they broke twice inside a month. I'm hoping the Audio Technica's will satisfy my bass needs with an E11. I'll post my thoughts after I've had a decent listen to them. :)

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,187 of 11,286
Quote:

So let us know how you have the chain configured when you do go into listening mode. 

I'm interested how you hook up and how it sounds because I double amp with iPhone4 w/Fiio LOD connector > E-11 with no bass EQ added > ZO on high gain w/highest red contour > either Q40's or DT770 LE 32ohm phones.  And love the sound.  Love it. 

Wow ok, will give that a go but having to use my silver LOD just to keep some clarity, yes the LOD is making a difference also. Red isn`t going to happen here imo. wow

Edit: High gain actually is ok, feeds my C&C which is controlling volume. Bass yellow is thumping though (Arnej - Free Of You)

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #5,188 of 11,286
Quote:
Wow ok, will give that a go but having to use my silver LOD just to keep some clarity, yes the LOD is making a difference also. Red isn`t going to happen here imo. wow

Edit: High gain actually is ok, feeds my C&C which is controlling volume. Bass yellow is thumping though (Arnej - Free Of You)

If I read that right, you are going SOURCE via silver LOD into ZO into C&C, which you are using to adjust volume. Right?

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #5,189 of 11,286
Quote:
Hahaha thats true. The reason why i said that is because i was trying to decide between Q40s Pro900MK2 (which i knew were tight fit) and M100 for myself and went with the Q40s since someone had a new pair for like $70 shiped (i couldnt pass it up). I always wondered if i should of gone with the M100s altho i love my Q40s. So after testing out the M100s im glad I didnt get them because i wouldnt be comfortable using them and IMO the slightly better sound wasnt worth the $200+ difference. Im sure the difference is huge to others but to me it wasnt. The saved $200 will go to an HE400 in the future. 

My comment was more of a personal experience/preference than a comparison. 

Oh definitely. I understood that. I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea since so many people do find it really comfortable. HE400 is a great next step!

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #5,190 of 11,286
Something weird I've found out. My Magni distorts faster than my E17... Edit: when I match the bass quantity on both, the magni clips while the E17 doesn't. Not sure what the problem is here, since the magni is roughly 4 times more powerful. I'm guessing the power delivery isn't all that great. I may have to return this and get an Asgard 2 or a Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back