The BEST looking and sounding headphones
May 6, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #31 of 73
the esw9 is too polite a headfone, mellow, comfy. it never hit me as a highclarity kind of can.
i would shoot for a pro900..i see some going for usd250.
A hisoundaudio studioV dap would power it with authority.
popcorn.gif

May 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #32 of 73
This may come as a shocking viewpoint in the isolation of this particular little microcosm:  I can't speak for the genre of music you prefer, but as far as looks and performance and balance thereof...you're going to look like a total dweeb, regardless of how fetching you or anyone here thinks you will look, walking around with pair of headphones on your head in public.  It really doesn't matter how good they look as headphones.  I mean seriously, are folks here really under the illusion that they're styling when wearing a pair of headphones out in public?!?!  Perhaps to an audience of head-fiers, but I doubt the appeal goes much further, and that is a very tiny segment of the population (we're talking grain of sand on a beach). I haven't seen the trend breaking any ground among the general public as a fashion accessory - no doubt someone's going to pull up a fashion spread that prominently features headphones now - but take my word for it - it's a one-way ticket to Dweebsville.  So if you're into cans, I'd just look for the best sound possible for the investment and for the genre(s) you like (again, can't help you with the latter), and screw what anyone else thinks about looks, cause you probably don't want to know anyway.  As far as getting around the appearance hurdle, IEMs/CIEM's might keep it quiet enough to qualify as a runaround for looking like a complete outcast in public, or some escaped DJ.  Hey, but who the hell am I to judge the one in ten thousand I see wearing cans out there?  

May 6, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #33 of 73
May 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #34 of 73
@jax, i'm already there, where I am I've been wearing headphones around my neck for years now, and im at dweebsville...
The appearance is for me, not for others, I just personally want them to look good...

And I think I'm going to hold off until I have more money...
From the looks of it, I should get an amp too, and I like the idea of the Pro900's...
So maybe another few months...

Thanks for all the help guys

May 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #35 of 73
Actually, I changed my mind...
After reading around for about 4 hours I think I'm between the

Ultrasone HFI 780's
Ultrasone Pro 750's and
Beyer DT 770's 80 Ohm

Whatever I buy will be paired with a Fiio E7....

If they all sound very similar, the tiebreaker goes to isolation...
Anyone know how they all compare?

May 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #36 of 73
Actually, I changed my mind...
After reading around for about 4 hours I think I'm between the

Ultrasone HFI 780's
Ultrasone Pro 750's and
Beyer DT 770's 80 Ohm

Whatever I buy will be paired with a Fiio E7....

If they all sound very similar, the tiebreaker goes to isolation...
Anyone know how they all compare?

And once again the esw9 sounds better, not mellow or laid-back at all.
More upfront than the 750s at least.

May 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:
arite...
how's the isolation on the esw9?
and jax, I'm doin looks for myself
i want them to look good according to me for me
and i want them to sound good, I'm not tryin to do it for others...

Then why are you asking others what looks and sounds best to them?   You've got eyes and ears and a sense of what's right for you - why not use 'em, and make your own decisions?  I'm just yankin' your chain a bit here, but to some degree I'm stating the not so obvious that some folks don't seem to recognize.  I work in advertising and fashion so it's easy to poke fun at.  Yes, I do get that you can get suggestions you might not have otherwise known about from asking....just being a bit provocative and adding some levity to your conversation I hope.  Carry on then...nothing to see here...move along folks. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Oh, and Beyer 1350's sounded great to me, but I don't listen to the specific genre you mentioned, and don't really give a rip what others think of their appearance, nor do I care as I'm far more concerned about how they sound.  I gave 'em up for CIEM's and am much happier. 

May 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #40 of 73
@ jax

The TS is asking for suggestions.. Is it such a crime to do so? Leave him be.. If you care so much about how others look, being overly conscious about yourself when you walk outside, then keep it to yourself. Those are personal matters after all. We don't live to please others and others don't live to please us either. And, don't shove something down someone's throat.. don't put words in their mouth - that's a different story. Again, better keep personal stuff to your self.

@ TS
There are already lots of good suggestions posted here in your thread.. Hopefully you can decide on what to get.
o2smile.gif

May 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #42 of 73

beyerdynamic DT 990

Sony MDR-XB700

Denon AHD2000

That's my suggestions

May 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:
arite...
how's the isolation on the esw9?
and jax, I'm doin looks for myself
i want them to look good according to me for me
and i want them to sound good, I'm not tryin to do it for others...

Isolation is pretty good, not extremely isolating. They're quite easy to drive like I said before, with a magical addicting sound.

May 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #44 of 73
sorry for the late reply, but I think I finally decided...
Going for the ATH ESW9, thanks for sellin me on them Sil3nce

Anyone know where I can get a hard case for them, since I think only a "pouch" is included...

May 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:
sorry for the late reply, but I think I finally decided...
Going for the ATH ESW9, thanks for sellin me on them Sil3nce

Anyone know where I can get a hard case for them, since I think only a "pouch" is included...

Lol I wasn't trying to endorse them or anything.
They are just beautifully attractive cans that also sounds excellent amped or un-amped. 
Make sure you get covers to protect the cups. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back