The Beta22/Sigma22 amp has arrived Review added!
Oct 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #61 of 82

Quote:
Only follow combat sports
biggrin.gif

Thought I might stir up the "battle for Ontario".
smile.gif

While that was a joke, my offer for your B22 was not.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #64 of 82
Congratulations with the β22 and σ22 - an excellent amplifier indeed!
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #67 of 82
σ. err, I mean σσ.

I was just kidding, actually, but thanks Ari.

Hey, what is the Mac code or ascii number for "β" (beta)

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #69 of 82
Actually sometimes I wish that the β22 has slightly less bass but at this point of time, I'm probably nit-picking. 

It's also interesting to note the different sound characteristics between the Kevin Gilmore and Ti designs. I wouldn't say that the β22 is neutral, it's obviously slightly colored to the warm side. It has plenty of bass and that the midrange is also slightly accentuated. The Gilmore Lite on the other hand is obviously thinner, more neutral and brighter sounding. Now I really wish I could hear the GS-X so I can test the other side of the spectrum that is at least on the same level as the β22. I recall a Head-Fier mentioning that the GS-X is a "wire with gain" while the β22 is a "bass-boost" and perhaps I can see where he is coming from. 

I have also heard the Phonitor, Auditor and the Concerto on a separate occasion and I had the chance to A/B them against the β22. They don't compare really. The Phonitor/Auditor had the tendency to smooth things up and it was too polite/distant sounding for my liking while the Concerto has a too obvious mid-centric coloration and it lacks the bass slam and top-to-bottom extension that the β22 offers. I think I prefer the Phonitor/Auditor to the Concerto in a grand scheme of things. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #70 of 82

Quote:
Actually sometimes I wish that the β22 has slightly less bass but at this point of time, I'm probably nit-picking. 

It's also interesting to note the different sound characteristics between the Kevin Gilmore and Ti designs. I wouldn't say that the β22 is neutral, it's obviously slightly colored to the warm side. It has plenty of bass and that the midrange is also slightly accentuated. The Gilmore Lite on the other hand is obviously thinner, more neutral and brighter sounding. Now I really wish I could hear the GS-X so I can test the other side of the spectrum that is at least on the same level as the β22. I recall a Head-Fier mentioning that the GS-X is a "wire with gain" while the β22 is a "bass-boost" and perhaps I can see where he is coming from. 

I have also heard the Phonitor, Auditor and the Concerto on a separate occasion and I had the chance to A/B them against the β22. They don't compare really. The Phonitor/Auditor had the tendency to smooth things up and it was too polite/distant sounding for my liking while the Concerto has a too obvious mid-centric coloration and it lacks the bass slam and top-to-bottom extension that the β22 offers. I think I prefer the Phonitor/Auditor to the Concerto in a grand scheme of things. 

dude..what do you mean about "too obvious mid-centric coloration" in the concerto..??
I agree though about the lacks of bass slam and extension..but I also find that concerto has more control at the bass section compare to beta22..

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #71 of 82

Quote:
dude..what do you mean about "too obvious mid-centric coloration" in the concerto..??
I agree though about the lacks of bass slam and extension..but I also find that concerto has more control at the bass section compare to beta22..

I thought the Concerto was pretty neutral but where it had room for improvement was in bass control.  The b22 had iron fist control over the Senn 800, where the Concerto couldn't pull it back giving it a thump thump type quality.  On an easier load like the orthos you'd be hard pressed to notice.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #72 of 82

Quote:
I thought the Concerto was pretty neutral but where it had room for improvement was in bass control.  The b22 had iron fist control over the Senn 800, where the Concerto couldn't pull it back giving it a thump thump type quality.  On an easier load like the orthos you'd be hard pressed to notice.

I would agree that the B22 had more bass control than the Concerto, I did prefer the Concerto's bass control to that from the GLite. The Concerto does give the HD800s more bass extension and control than over the Gilmore amp...but nothing like the B22.

Regardless, I use my tube amp with my HD800s as the overall sound is more organic and less analytical (with treble that is a bit further pushed back...for the HD800s a good thing). I use my Concerto primarily for my D7000s and LCD-2s. A great combination!
L3000.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #73 of 82

Quote:
Regardless, I use my tube amp with my HD800s as the overall sound is more organic and less analytical (with treble that is a bit further pushed back...for the HD800s a good thing).

No arguement there.  The b22 had better control but still didn't make the Senn 800 an all rounder like a tube amp might.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #74 of 82
Quote:Originally Posted by Solude 

"No arguement there.  The b22 had better control but still didn't make the Senn 800 an all rounder like a tube amp might."

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. I've listened to the HD800 on different tube setups including several Woo amps and a Decware and I'm just a solid state kind of guy. I use the HD800 as my all a rounder. It's more balanced than any of the Grados or Denons. Even the LCD-2 to my ears. The T1 is the closest to a do-it-all of the rest but I feel the HD800 also fits that bill and I just like them better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #75 of 82
To each their own.  The Senn 800 lasted about 2? weeks before I dropped it.  Also not a tube guy, but more from lack of experience with them than anything else
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back