The Brise Audio Japan Cable Thread
May 28, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #16 of 830
As anyone listened to the UPG0001Ref and could provide a comparison with the Dita Silver Truth and/or the PW 1960 4 wires?
I have the Dita Truth but I don't know if it's the Dita -Silver- Truth...I'm probably not up-to-date as I've not heard the Silver Truth.

Can compare them later when I'm free.
There should be a little opening on the cable that exposes the cable without the insulation and jacket...that should give you an idea if its copper or silver.

Anyway...are there any place in Tokyo where I can walk in and purchase one of these totl Brise cables?

So I've had a little chance to compare the 8-wire UPG001Ref against the Dita Truth (mine appears to be silver - but again, I never new Dita came up with a copper Truth). The Brise cable appears sound more spacious and smooth with a little more body (presumably this is the signature of copper). The Dita Truth isn't far behind but feels a little more "light" on the note. Treble extension on both appears similar on both with the Brise tending more towards the smooth polished whereas the Truth is a little more surgical scalpel blade precise.

Ergonomically, the Brise is a heavier and less flexible cable primarily due to be cable girth whilst the Dita Truth is lighter but a little bit more memory-cable tangly possibly due to the sheath material used. The Brise is a little more microphonic than the Dita Truth.

Meanwhile, I've also received my 8-wire UPG001HP Ref for my Focal Utopia. Wire-wise, it's the same as the UPG001Ref for my Tralucent 1Plus2.2 earphones, but the connectors are Lemo terminated for the Utopia naturally. Both have the Pentaconn OFC plug for the NW-WM1A/Z.
Snapseed.jpg
Snapseed.jpg

May 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 830
Thanks for the comparison.
I think although it might be an upgrade to the Truth, the marginal gain does not seem worth it to me.
I will have to look elasewhere for a different TOTL cable upgrade.
Cheers

May 29, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 830
Thanks for the comparison.
I think although it might be an upgrade to the Truth, the marginal gain does not seem worth it to me.
I will have to look elasewhere for a different TOTL cable upgrade.
Cheers
In general to me that is true for a lot of other brands too. At least in my limited experiences with cables for earphones in the past 6 years, the only 2 that have really truly grabbed my attention significantly has been the Brise Audio 8-wire UPG001Ref, their Murakumo but that's somewhat impractically expensive, and the Tralucent Audio Uber cable v1.0 (dunno about the Uber Too, never got a chance to experience that).

That's not to say other cables haven't made a difference - they have, but just not as attention grabbing-noticeable as the aforementioned ones.

[Edit] WRT the return on value of investment, I think that's the part that folks find most controversial - some claim it's snake oil, others claim it's God sent. The issue is how one hears coupled with how one values the investment varies greatly from individual to individual. It's good that you know where you stand on how much you're prepared to invest for returns.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #20 of 830
If you're ok with slight ergonomics & microphonics incovenince I highly recommend the 8-wire version of the UPG001Ref.

I don't get excited about cables often but it's only been the Tralucent Uber & Brise 8-wire UPG001Ref that's really wow-ed me in the past 5 yrs.

Other cable experiences have also been good but just not as much as the two aforementioned ones.

P.S. One exception...Brise Murakumo but that's the unobtanium.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #21 of 830
If you're ok with slight ergonomics & microphonics incovenince I highly recommend the 8-wire version of the UPG001Ref.

I don't get excited about cables often but it's only been the Tralucent Uber & Brise 8-wire UPG001Ref that's really wow-ed me in the past 5 yrs.

Other cable experiences have also been good but just not as much as the two aforementioned ones.

P.S. One exception...Brise Murakumo but that's the unobtanium.

Is one of the other cable experience the PW Audio 1960?

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 830
The UPG001Ref sounds really good!
Which one do you have? Is it the 4-wire (approx 60,000 -> 70,000 yen depending on the connectors), or is it the 8-wire (approx 105,000 yen)? Glad to find another fellow Brise user here!

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #24 of 830
UPG001 owner here... lovely sonics shame about the microphonics for an iem cable. perhaps it's just me, but the japanese cables i've had seem to really put microphonics low on their priority list... (Brise, Nobunaga, ADL, Fitear's own, Oyaide etc etc)

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #25 of 830
Yes that is a point I should talk to them about. As I usually listen sitting down (rather than on the go) it hasn't affected me that much but I can understand how it can be a little annoying when on the move.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #26 of 830
Yes that is a point I should talk to them about. As I usually listen sitting down (rather than on the go) it hasn't affected me that much but I can understand how it can be a little annoying when on the move.

they just released a "flex" lower end cable but again when you experience stuff like effect audio or plussound puts out ... totl cables CAN be soft and non microphonic as well

http://briseaudio.jp/portable/product/recable/flex001.html

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #27 of 830
they just released a "flex" lower end cable but again when you experience stuff like effect audio or plussound puts out ... totl cables CAN be soft and non microphonic as well
Bear in mind that Brise Audio's fundamental philosophy is about shielding rather than fancy metals, I think the choice of materials used for shielding could contribute to more microphonics than other high end cable brands. This is especially when there's extra shielding at the plugs/sockets (this is with respect to the UPG001Ref/Rh+, less so with the Flex and original UPG001) where vibrations can traverse to the earphones/headphones.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #29 of 830
Bear in mind that Brise Audio's fundamental philosophy is about shielding rather than fancy metals, I think the choice of materials used for shielding could contribute to more microphonics than other high end cable brands. This is especially when there's extra shielding at the plugs/sockets (this is with respect to the UPG001Ref/Rh+, less so with the Flex and original UPG001) where vibrations can traverse to the earphones/headphones.

I got some UPG001 with me since they are one of the earliest endorsers of the Pentaconn 4.4 plugs. Love the sound, can't fault the build quality but they are just too stiff for on-the-go applications. I found the microphonics present but acceptable tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back