The CanalWorks Discussion thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #136 of 201
The PSTS:

Fun once I got the hang of reading the colors.

Really liked the CW lineup in general, although the L05QDs made cymbals sound piercing and near unbearable. But that's probably (like tomscy mentioned earlier in this thread) due to the shallow insertion of the demo units. May take a leap of faith since I'm looking for something along its sound signature.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #137 of 201
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #139 of 201
CW also has Universals of the L02 and L12a. The level of finishing on the shells are really good for the price. Glass-like.

I've tried them before but not extensively. Perhaps I'll try them again sometime and throw down my thoughts.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jun 8, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #140 of 201
just ordered the L77 cant wait for it to arrive

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #141 of 201
Just to show off my new CW-U77 in the absolutely gorgeous Blue Snow design:

44FC4224-5603-441A-AA44-3789668006F2.jpeg

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #142 of 201
Just to show off my new CW-U77 in the absolutely gorgeous Blue Snow design:

I bought it as well I was thinking what cable to go for I notice your crystal cable dream duet I was thinking about plussound trisilverX8 PW1960 or crystal cable dream duet... can you please tell me why you choose that cable for the cw l77?
For eartips I use the JVC Victor Sprial Dot ++
5ADF3430-FF01-4A9F-92CB-209849951C09.jpeg
DF0CA5A7-516E-4532-A749-CCAAF025CDFF.jpeg

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #143 of 201
I bought it as well I was thinking what cable to go for I notice your crystal cable dream duet I was thinking about plussound trisilverX8 PW1960 or crystal cable dream duet... can you please tell me why you choose that cable for the cw l77?
For eartips I use the JVC Victor Sprial Dot ++

I was also trying to decide between these two, dream duet and tri-silver (tho I prefer Exo tri-silver to X8). I kinda settled on tri-silver but mainly due to aesthetics.

Tips I'm using Symbio MandarinE - very satisfied with the results. I'll also try Spiral Dot++ soon when I get hold of a few different sizes.

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #144 of 201
So far I still cannot desire which top cable to buy to pair with the L77 Universial so I am now using my Brise Audio ASUHA 8core Carbon Nano Tube cable on it and to be honest it’s a good pair for the L77/U77 for 50000yen price range but ofcause the crystal cable dream duet is better.
3E528312-7E33-459A-B573-90AF3D6448ED.jpeg

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #145 of 201
Canal Works CW-L02/CW-U02 Review
A Hidden Gem?

The CW-L02 is a custom single balanced-armature driver IEM, made by Japanese company Canal Works. The CW-U02 is its universal fit variant. The specific model reviewed here is the CW-U02NJC, which is a special edition (of the universal variant) from of a collaboration with Idol group Niji No Conquistador.

Pricing & Packaging

The price of the custom version is of $600 USD (Japanese taxes already included). The universal version goes for $400 USD. The special edition costs the same as the universal fit, but also includes a brief handwritten note by a member of Niji No Conquistador, along with a signed Polaroid.

The packaging is barebones in a small brown carton box, with a letter of gratitude for purchasing the product and a hard case for carrying. Inside the case there are three pairs of tips of different sizes (S/M/L).

Every IEM, whether custom fit or universal, is hand-made in Japan.

Cabling & Fit

The cable is braided and is 127cm long (50 inches). The copper is protected by some sort of sturdy plastic and feels somewhat like a necklace. I cannot yet attest about its durability, all I can say is that it doesn’t feel neither premium nor cheap, although aesthetically, looks great.

The actual monitor is in a transparent shell that also feels very sturdy, the nozzle is made of aluminum. The universal version should fit leanly on most ears, without sticking out or looking too obvious. The insertion is not very deep compared to other IEMs, which makes it easy and fast to put in. The tips feel a little bit like velvet and Canal Works claims that it deforms with body heat, allowing it to take the shape of your ear. What I can say is that after prolonged periods of use, they are very comfortable and when taking them out, your ears feel “fresh” as if you haven’t been wearing anything at all.

Isolation is top notch, similar (if not equal) to Shure levels of noise isolation.

The cable is detachable with a 0.78mm 2pin connector. As for the tips, the nozzle is probably 5mm.

Branding, Market & Clients

Canal Works is mainly dedicated to custom IEMs, some of its custom models have universal variants. Its product line can be divided in three main categories:
  • (Relatively) Low sensitivity with neutral character, for listening and studio use.
  • High sensitivity with high bass sound pressure, for stage monitoring.
  • Special use models, for drummers, guitarists, bass players, etc.
So they lean heavily towards a professional market, and a such they have a deal with NHK (Japan’s state broadcaster) and have been the provider of monitors for groups like Momoiro Clover Z, so their IEMs have been used and tested in Japan’s largest venues. Still, they are a small company, compared to other IEM brands in Japan.

Sound Quality

It’s clear why they don’t bother with fancy packaging and why they dare for their entry level IEM to start at $400. The CW-U02 sounds excellent.

Despite the use of only one balanced-armature driver, the frequency extension is amazing.

Bass is controlled and clean, while its sub-bass is potent and energetic. Mids are very detailed and allow vocals to breathe in songs. Treble is devoid of harshness and full of detail.

Most impressive is its soundstage, which provides great separation and imaging, and for hard-panned instruments, they can even sound as if they are coming from behind you. So the sound in general is very open and wide.

Another sign of its great balance is how it responds when the volume is increased. While other headphones get piercing in the higher frequencies as the volume is turned up or suffer other problems in the mids or bass, the CW-U02 increases in sound pressure level evenly and without distortion. In a way, it can be dangerous, since it sort-of invites to keep on increasing the volume, because the frequency response doesn’t suffer and no artifacts appear before getting to crazy volume levels.

It also responds really well to equalization. Playing around with a high quality parametric EQ, you can change the character of the sound drastically, without making the single armature driver sound like its getting pushed to places it should not. That being said, given the natural character of its sound, these IEMs do sound better with no EQ at all.

The only asterisks to its great sound is that:
  • There is a slight emphasis on bass. With FabFilter Pro-Q 3, I managed to eliminate it by subtracting 3dB at 300Hz and a low shelf of only -1dB at 80Hz. That being said, the emphasis is not significant enough, so an equalizer of lower quality will most likely be detrimental.
  • Above 10KHz any equalization becomes useless. I guess the single driver is being already pushed to its limits.

Conclusions

I had no idea what to expect from these IEMs when I bought them. My interest was mostly as a collectible item, however as I started to listen to different musical genres and experimented with it through FabFilter Pro-Q, I was astonished and they ended up becoming my main headphones for critical listening.

Being able to listen so clearly the almost hidden digital artifacts in Aphex Twin’s “Flim”, while the drum bass kicks with potency and the cymbals sizzle smoothly, without either element trying to overcome the other, not to mention the subtle stereo effects enveloping you, thanks to a soundstage that is the opposite of “tiny band inside your skull”, makes the CW-U02 a real joy.

To the Head-Fi Community

The only reason I bothered with a review is because there is very little info (even in Japanese) of these IEMs and I think the community might be missing on quite the hidden gem. I might be wrong and these could end up being actually average in a world where China is manufacturing great sound at a very low price, but I’m definitely interested in other people listening to them and most of all, measuring them.

Lastly, within all the product range of Canal Works, there are only two direct upgrades to the CW-L02/CW-U02, that go for the same neutral tuning: the CW-L52 (3way/6driver) and the CW-L72 (3way/8driver).

cw-u02.jpg

cw-u02e.jpg

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #146 of 201
Hello, I briefly tries the U77 and loved it. But I didn't have much time with it. Would anyone care to share more impressions on it? And compare with 72 maybe?

Here are notes from elsewhere:

Second round of the day Earphone King(耳机王)

I went to try the Canal Works U77 mostly. It's one of the TOTL. It is a very well balanced IEM, a bit warm, with great body in the mids, without any congestion. Good change from all those anorexic mids. Bass is well textured, I really like the tone, seems like a bit mid forward but would have to compare. Overall I really like it but something is bothering me, I need to try side by side with my IEMs. Maybe a lack of air in the treble? Maybe my ears are tired? Treble is totally NOT peaky which is nice.

IMG_20200115_171118.jpg

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #148 of 201
Any had tried the new CW-U73LV? It is priced higher than the U77 (still very conservative considering the current market) but heard it's meant to be a double flagship lineup.

Briefly listened to the U73 and it's more of a W-shaped signature, definitely not as mid-centric and warm as the U77 with bass and highs getting quite a bit more extension.

Feb 27, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #149 of 201
Any had tried the new CW-U73LV? It is priced higher than the U77 (still very conservative considering the current market) but heard it's meant to be a double flagship lineup.

Briefly listened to the U73 and it's more of a W-shaped signature, definitely not as mid-centric and warm as the U77 with bass and highs getting quite a bit more extension.
I was super interested in the U73, but then didn't try it because they saw it is the bassy one of the lineup.

http://www.canalworks.jp/product/cw-l73lv/

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #150 of 201
I was super interested in the U73, but then didn't try it because they saw it is the bassy one of the lineup.

http://www.canalworks.jp/product/cw-l73lv/

If bass is your concern I'd say give it a try, its a nice sort of elevated bass that is tuned not to interfere with anything else - you can actually see that intriguing little device for that purpose inside the shell. Even the lower mids are not messed with by the bass at all, which is cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back