The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jan 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,021 of 2,420
Received my c5 today, I'll try and compare it to the amp section of the apex glacier. Gonna be a bit tricky as I don't really have a great source (DAC in the glacier is probably the nicest sounding and it doesn't have a proper line out so it will be double amping if I use the c5 with it).

First impressions of this amp are nice though, really adds some punch and dynamics to the sound!

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,022 of 2,420
I have ordered one too. got a great deal for $140 on eBay so just snapped it up.

But it should take a while until it's here. Can't wait to see what it does to my headphones :wink:

Cheers,
K

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,023 of 2,420
Received my c5 today, I'll try and compare it to the amp section of the apex glacier. Gonna be a bit tricky as I don't really have a great source (DAC in the glacier is probably the nicest sounding and it doesn't have a proper line out so it will be double amping if I use the c5 with it).

First impressions of this amp are nice though, really adds some punch and dynamics to the sound!
I have ordered one too. got a great deal for $140 on eBay so just snapped it up.

But it should take a while until it's here. Can't wait to see what it does to my headphones :wink:

Cheers,
K

Welcome! The C5 is the champagne of portable budget amps.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,024 of 2,420
Welcome! The C5 is the champagne of portable budget amps.

Yes, it really is indeed...

Still on the fence for a E12A, although I'm afraid that I might be disappointed with the SQ of it compared to the C5.
Batterylife of E12A is much better (20hrs) though...

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #1,025 of 2,420
Yup if want a bigger soundstage with clean and crisp sound the c5 is it, it's amazing for the price

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #1,026 of 2,420
  Yes, it really is indeed...

Still on the fence for a E12A, although I'm afraid that I might be disappointed with the SQ of it compared to the C5.
Batterylife of E12A is much better (20hrs) though...

If it's champagne for the ears, then it;'s my thing, even though I prefer beer or a good wine usually.

Battery life can be an issue I guess, I mean, pushing out 800mW per channel into 32 Ohms (!!!) on a mobile device is pretty amazing, doing that for 10-12 hours with a paltry 1000mAH battery is actually quite a feat.

Looking forward stacking it soon :wink:

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,027 of 2,420
After 4 days with my C5, mostly listening at the gym with my SE846. I couldn't be happier. Expanded sound stage is worth every penny alone. The amp brings a level of excitement to the 846's  that is just fantastic.  The whole reason i bought it was for my HE400i's, now I'm glued to it!  

Did you get any noise floor from the 846? Even a faint one? I'm having problem with my 535ltd that it picks up noise from it. Well, not very loud but I'm that ocd..

I also tried different 535 and a 846 with it, it did make some noise, but more obvious on both the 535s..

If I'm the only one then I'll send my C5 back for warranty claim..

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,029 of 2,420
  Does anyone have any reference to how this compares to the jdl  c5?? I have no idea which one to buy.

Can give you a comparison once I get my Cayin C5 with the JDSLabs C5D but I guess delivery will take at least a week or two, so you would need some patience...

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,030 of 2,420

After 4 days with my C5, mostly listening at the gym with my SE846. I couldn't be happier. Expanded sound stage is worth every penny alone. The amp brings a level of excitement to the 846's  that is just fantastic.  The whole reason i bought it was for my HE400i's, now I'm glued to it!  

Did you get any noise floor from the 846? Even a faint one? I'm having problem with my 535ltd that it picks up noise from it. Well, not very loud but I'm that ocd..

I also tried different 535 and a 846 with it, it did make some noise, but more obvious on both the 535s..

If I'm the only one then I'll send my C5 back for warranty claim..

Can't say I notice any noise. BUT, a big but, I am 25yrs in a recording studio and my ears don't pick up subtle hiss at all.  I am not the best judge for noise floor, lol. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,031 of 2,420
Can't say I notice any noise. BUT, a big but, I am 25yrs in a recording studio and my ears don't pick up subtle hiss at all.  I am not the best judge for noise floor, lol. 

That's weird then, many have been telling me its dead silent when no music is playing. But that's not the case here, faint noise is there when i plug in my earphone (of course when the amp is switched on).

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,032 of 2,420
Listening to the amp as I type this. To my ear it's dead silent. The dynamic of the black is so deep, when any instrument breaks in, it's from a steep floor. If you got noise, I'd send it back. Of course after you troubleshoot it, cables etc....

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,033 of 2,420
Quote:
Listening to the amp as I type this. To my ear it's dead silent. The dynamic of the black is so deep, when any instrument breaks in, it's from a steep floor. If you got noise, I'd send it back. Of course after you troubleshoot it, cables etc....

I haven't receive my SPC interconnect, still at apartment's management. The last suspect is the amp itself, because Jaben's SE535 and SE836 have the same issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back