The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #4,546 of 5,999
Hi Guys,

I received my HiFi M8 for iDevices a couple of days ago and must say I'm extremely impressed with this :) I currently use with my Custom Dream Earz AUD-8x with my iPod Touch 5g (for Spotify and ALAC) and iPhone 5 with FLAC Player for Hi Res music via the Ligtning to USB cable into the USB-B input.

I have been looking at purchasing a paid of full size headphones to use with the M8 as well and have narrowed my choices down to three at the moment including:

Sennheiser HD650

HiFiMan HE-500

Fostex TH-600

Ideally I want to use these via the balanced 4 pin XLR output (not a problem with the HD650 and HE-500...not so sure about the TH-600 can I just reterminate these to a 4 Pin XLR terminantion?). What do you guys think about these choices? 

I like a good midrange with controlled Bass and sparkling Highs. I'm not looking for bloated or muddled bass or fatiguing treble.....which of the above do you think would give me good synergy with the M8??

Also does anybody have any suggestions for a carry case for the M8 when its being transported from home to the office and back?

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #4,548 of 5,999
You just described the HE500 right there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Which retailer did you order from? Mine is still more than a month from delivery. Sigh...

Thanks for that Mate.....I must say that the HE-500 are probably the ones I am more interested in at the moment, never heard or owned a Planar before and also just a bit worried about the weight of them. However they do seem to fit the bill then and of course I can swap the cable for SE or Balanced use.

I bought my M8 second hand from a guy on here :)

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #4,549 of 5,999
My Sennheiser HD600 pairs wonderfully with the Hifi-M8 so it shouldn't be a problem with the HD650. From my experience the HD600 sounds more natural on the high mid and treble area therefore sounding airier and less veiled than the HD650. The HD650 however has more pronounced low mid and bass area where it sounds warmer, not that HD600 is not warm sounding...in fact it's already very warm sounding but HD650's warmth is even more pronounced. To me the HD600 sounds more natural. Comfort wise, the HD600/650 can't be beat. By the end of the day, it's a matter of preference so you'll have to decide which sound signature you prefer.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #4,550 of 5,999
Thanks for that Mate.....I must say that the HE-500 are probably the ones I am more interested in at the moment, never heard or owned a Planar before and also just a bit worried about the weight of them. However they do seem to fit the bill then and of course I can swap the cable for SE or Balanced use.

I bought my M8 second hand from a guy on here :)

Ah, makes sense. Hehehe.

They would probably feel heavy at first, but you get used to it. It doesnt bother me anymore now. Just spent 4 hours with them on my head tonight.

I have a balanced cable on the way for the HE500 right now. In anticipation of the arrival of the M8. But of course, I can't claim the HE500 is great with the M8 as I've not heard the pairing - but the HE500 itself is a great pair of headphones, period. :p

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #4,551 of 5,999
If you're planning to get the Hifiman HE-500 then you might want to wait for the HE-560...an improved model with better comfort (lighter drivers) and better efficiency (easier to drive), maybe even better sound I guess. However I have no experience pairing the HE-500 with the Hifi-M8 so I can't comment on that. You can read more about it from the thread below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698831/fresh-outta-ces-the-hifiman-he-400i-and-he-560

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,553 of 5,999
  Hi Guys,

I received my HiFi M8 for iDevices a couple of days ago and must say I'm extremely impressed with this :) I currently use with my Custom Dream Earz AUD-8x with my iPod Touch 5g (for Spotify and ALAC) and iPhone 5 with FLAC Player for Hi Res music via the Ligtning to USB cable into the USB-B input.

I have been looking at purchasing a paid of full size headphones to use with the M8 as well and have narrowed my choices down to three at the moment including:

Sennheiser HD650

HiFiMan HE-500

Fostex TH-600

Ideally I want to use these via the balanced 4 pin XLR output (not a problem with the HD650 and HE-500...not so sure about the TH-600 can I just reterminate these to a 4 Pin XLR terminantion?). What do you guys think about these choices? 

I like a good midrange with controlled Bass and sparkling Highs. I'm not looking for bloated or muddled bass or fatiguing treble.....which of the above do you think would give me good synergy with the M8??

Also does anybody have any suggestions for a carry case for the M8 when its being transported from home to the office and back?

You just described the HE500 right there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Which retailer did you order from? Mine is still more than a month from delivery. Sigh...

The HD650 is a great pairing, but as NZheadcase says, you did NOT describe the HD650 sound signature.  It has everything but sparkling highs.  Details are all there, but a bit attenuated.  I love the HD650, fwiw.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #4,554 of 5,999
Thanks for all the input guys.....

For the time being I have taken the plunge and bought a pair of HD600's. I've owned the HD650 in the past and whilst I really liked them did find that the bass was sometimes a little too much....not bloated or uncontrolled, just a bit more than I really like. I'm therefore hoping HD600 are a little more rounded and neutral across the lows, mids and highs. Just need to sort a balanced cable out now.

The HiFiMan are probably one for the future and as suggested I'll wait and see what reviews come out like for the HE-560 (although I must say whilst the wooden cups look great the headband looks atrocious....I can imagine looking like a CyberMan from Dr Who wearing those).

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #4,558 of 5,999
I'll stick my lot with the 560, thank you very much
wink.gif

I've made due with the HD 598 as they are priced at a point where I don't mind so much if they take a little beating going on the road, running apps on iPad2 like CanOpener or Onkyo HF Player, outstanding 24/192 playback via the M8. I need a laptop bag to haul it though.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,559 of 5,999

I've made due with the HD 598 as they are priced at a point where I don't mind so much if they take a little beating going on the road, running apps on iPad2 like CanOpener or Onkyo HF Player, outstanding 24/192 playback via the M8. I need a laptop bag to haul it though.

That's a beautiful setup! Have been able to compare CCK-out FLAC with USB-out ALAC copies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back