The "chasing rainbows" effect
Sep 15, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #16 of 29
Chasing rainbows,  never thought of it like that though I have found a few pots of gold along the way relatively speaking, I just love music, it feeds my soul, whether performing (rarely these days) or listening ((constantly).
I do have a nice home based set up and I do have a nice desk top and portable set up, all of this includes an extensive vinyl collection and thousands of downloaded high resolution tracks , albums and songs.
Obviously I listen quite a lot to albums, last night Breakfast in America by Supertramp, Tapestry by Carole King and the Piano Man by Billy Joel, I do enjoy all of my equipment but its all about the music, and yes I used to enjoy the music back in the day with my old wharfdales and Yammie amp (which I still miss to this day).

Sep 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 29
Nice. I might decide to do that myself.

Quote:
I just bought a ~$1000 headphone.

I'm trying to sell or give away every full-size headphone I have, and only own 1, this should destroy some of the rainbow chaser and analyzer in me.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 29
Does watching a 2.5-hour concert on Blu-Ray count? 
regular_smile .gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 29
I AB headphones and use my music as a tool for analyzing the technical abilities of headphones all the time, but I also love enjoying my music through my headphones all the time as well. In fact, the main quality I seek in headphones is musicality - their ability to make me enjoy my music. Technicalities can wow me, but that wow effect will quickly disappear if I will find that I am not actually enjoying listening to my music through these headphones.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #29 of 29
Sure it is.
wink_face.gif

I have 2 full size that are a Stax LNS and sr-5. The 5's are for sharing if needed so I only use one but can drive both fron my srm1/mk2. I never own more than 3 IEMs and tend to stick with one but like backups and something cheap to kick around. Right now it's some M1s I've bass tuned slightly that are the kick arounds, a pair of PFEs with gray filters and my go to GR10s. I'll keep trying things but I've heard a bunch and am pretty happy. What they have in common is easy, comfy fit and a good octave to octave balance. I like them linear but not as bass shy as many consider neutral. I use the hybrids in the PFEs because they enhance the bass wihtout shutting the top as much as the black filters. Using IEMs in portable use almost exclusively makes spending more kinda of silly as the GR10 is already stressing the quality of sources but you know how it goes when something rings your bell.
rolleyes.gif
 I'll give the w4s a listen soon and am interested in a phonak 232 listen when available. Heard other westones shures ortos etc and ended up here. Think the w2 and Eq5 both good values.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back