The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #6,331 of 6,351

I very much agree with Josh’s take, but I don’t think the E3 has a level 10 sound, more like a 9 if you can tolerate the unnatural 3-4 kHz peak. I place the E3 and Liric 2 at the same sonic level; the E3 is more ‘correct,’ and the Liric 2 is more ‘fun,’ but the detail and resolution are very similar. It’s curious that Josh doesn’t mention the more important difference between these headphones: the drivability. The E3 needs a stationary amp to shine, while the Liric 2 only requires a good Dongle DAC.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #6,332 of 6,351

I very much agree with Josh’s take, but I don’t think the E3 has a level 10 sound, more like a 9 if you can tolerate the unnatural 3-4 kHz peak. I place the E3 and Liric 2 at the same sonic level; the E3 is more ‘correct,’ and the Liric 2 is more ‘fun,’ but the detail and resolution are very similar. It’s curious that Josh doesn’t mention the more important difference between these headphones: the drivability. The E3 needs a stationary amp to shine, while the Liric 2 only requires a good Dongle DAC.

I also used the word fun to describe the Liric 2 when I compared these two headphones at CanJam. I also liked the Liric's design, the look and headband adjusting mechanism. But I preferred the more accurate and smooth sound of the E3 and its bigger ear cups. I thought it would be less fatiguing for longer listening sessions. The driveability is certainly a factor, but not a huge one. I am sure the target buyers have good and powerful amps. I think the glued earpads are a much bigger concern, especially if you want to consider buying them used.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #6,334 of 6,351

While I like the looks of the Liric 2 much more, the tuning of the E3 is more to my taste. Lirics bass dominates too much, and after a dip in the upper mids I hear a rather unnatural treble.

The Lirics pads are small, but sufficient for my ears. Overall it has a much more manageable size, the E3 is really quite big when not folded. So for transport that’s nice — but the cable doesn’t fit into the case…

The Lieic is indeed much easier to drive. Yet I’d not use it on the go, still too big overall. Plushies case takes too much room in my rucksack.

I returned my E3 since I didn’t like to use it despite the fact that I like its sound signature… won’t buy the Liric even after giving it a second chance at the shop. So still looking for a decent closed back model…
IMG_4234.jpegIMG_4235.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #6,335 of 6,351
So still looking for a decent closed back model…
Not sure if you mentioned this before but have you tried one of the ZMFs?

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #6,336 of 6,351
Not sure if you mentioned this before but have you tried one of the ZMFs?
Yes, the one my local shop had on display. Not my cup of tea though… very strange tuning, absurdly large cups and even in the rather cold weather at that time too warm due to the also very large pads and headband.
The Diana on this picture is also a strange proposition btw…

IMG_2671.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #6,337 of 6,351
Yes, the one my local shop had on display. Not my cup of tea though… very strange tuning, absurdly large cups and even in the rather cold weather at that time too warm due to the also very large pads and headband.
The Diana on this picture is also a strange proposition btw…

IMG_2671.jpeg
Did you ever try the Radiance?

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #6,339 of 6,351
That looks like a VC, which, compared to a Grado is indeed a beast… and while I do find it very comfortable, I will agree on it being on the ear-muff side. On the sound, though, this is SUPER chain/amp dependent and can be super misleading if paired badly. I also found it to “perform” rather badly in A/B test, yet it can SHINE on its own.

I would very much recommend you trying a Bokeh.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #6,340 of 6,351
That looks like a VC, which, compared to a Grado is indeed a beast… and while I do find it very comfortable, I will agree on it being on the ear-muff side. On the sound, though, this is SUPER chain/amp dependent and can be super misleading if paired badly. I also found it to “perform” rather badly in A/B test, yet it can SHINE on its own.

Very good point on the VC and chain. Put the wrong amp behind it and it's not so great sounding. But get it right and it's quite a treat to listen to. I still find the Verite models the hardest to find amp synergy with. So many of the amps my Atticus and Auteur loved, the VC didn't.

May 1, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #6,342 of 6,351
Can anyone recommend a headphone under $400 that is warm, smooth and portable (easy to drive and with a small form factor. I don’t care if it folds or comes with a case). Thanks.
NDH20. Reasonably small, built like a tank (prone to scratches though), ample bass, no upper mids shout (the opposite actually), no hot treble if you listen to music with cymbals, not hard to drive, isolates like a champ (in ear levels of isolation). Biggest issue is it having shallow pads, you probably couldn't wear it for several hours every day.

May 1, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #6,343 of 6,351
Did you ever try the Radiance?
I did try several Focal models but not the Radiance. Would be interesting since I don’t like stocks in general and that onesie said to be rather different as I seem to remember. That’s the Bentley coop, isn’t it?
Or Denon AH D9200?
I used to own the D9200 and quite liked it. Might get it again…

May 1, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #6,344 of 6,351

I’m a bit hesitant with models that only work in very specific settings… after my sprawling tendencies a few years ago I now try to keep my collection compact. At least on the electronics side that quite works so far :wink:

Would like to hear the Bokeh, but that one is not available at my store. The descriptions often talk about quite a midbass hump, so probably not for me — and with a no returns policy I can’t buy one with that prospect…

May 1, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #6,345 of 6,351
Very good point on the VC and chain. Put the wrong amp behind it and it's not so great sounding. But get it right and it's quite a treat to listen to. I still find the Verite models the hardest to find amp synergy with. So many of the amps my Atticus and Auteur loved, the VC didn't.
The safest bet with a VC is often a good OTL tube amp. With the right solid-state amp (see the ZMF amp thread), it can be amazing as well.

I wonder if @plakat ’s photo above might have been of an Atrium Closed?

Regardless, most of the time if a ZMF headphone “sounds strange” it is likely due to an unfortunate amp pairing. With the right pairing, the VC and AC make headphones like the Stellia sound metallic and a little bit hollow…

Having owned all three and really liking the Stellia at the time, the ZMFs were clearly IT when I found them and got them powered by the right amps. Pretty much “love at first listen”. ❤️ :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back