The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 30, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #4,397 of 6,387
Hard or impossible to compare an open with a closed back. But the MG for me was like a bad version of a HD650; just not opening up even after many hours of burn in etc. Sometimes headphones don’t agree with me and T1 Gen3 was the same. And I quite liked the T1Gen1 and2, though.
It’s highly personal, we all know that. A friend of mine had similar experience with MG and also sold it on quickly.
Yes, comparing open and closed is difficult. I'm really only curious how the upper frequencies compare, upper mids through the treble.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #4,398 of 6,387
Was cautious to get the T5p Gen3, having had no luck with the new tuning of the T1 Gen3 or the new Clear MG for that matter. They are all too veiled/dark for me and never really opened up.
But I love the new T5p; good holographic stage with excellent imaging and lots of bass…good bass, though.
And very good resolution, not veiled at all.
It’s really a headphone to consider when looking for a closed back. Not saying this because I want to promote a product from my fatherland.

This is the closed-back I'd most like to hear at this point as I've heard it can be considered a real upgrade to the NightOwl (which, so far, has been very difficult to find an upgrade to).

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #4,399 of 6,387
Hey your impressions of your AKG K872 are interesting to read. If I look at open back headphones those shaped earpads remind me of Sendy Audio Peacock. Could you please measure how much space those AKG K872 got inside the ear pads? I've a larger head so not all headphones fit me.
As a closed back phone I would believe it almost comes down to the size of one's ears to form a good seal, but a rough measurement put the the pad opening at 7cm (2.76"), the inside approximately 8cm (3.15"). For reference my noggin is 61cm (24.04") in circumference, and across the top of the head from the center of the ear to ear 40cm (15.75"), so quite often the yokes need to be extended almost fully. I'd say my actual ears are average size and I'm getting a good seal on the K872 for decent base production.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #4,401 of 6,387
Been a few months since I posted and checked in here. Still loving the Elegia and Nightowls...but I think I'm starting to get the itch again 😂

I might go for an open back this time around, but I'm curious if anything new (or anything on the horizon) in the closed back space was worth looking at... My budget won't be top of the line though.

May 1, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #4,402 of 6,387
Been a few months since I posted and checked in here. Still loving the Elegia and Nightowls...but I think I'm starting to get the itch again 😂

I might go for an open back this time around, but I'm curious if anything new (or anything on the horizon) in the closed back space was worth looking at... My budget won't be top of the line though.
ZMF will hopefully release their sub 1K closed back later this year.

May 1, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #4,405 of 6,387
I think Aeon Noire 2 fits the bill?
Not sure how good it is though.
Another one on my list. There's just too many. One day I'll get to them all. I should go to a can jam or some sort of store to try a bunch. Just don't know where there'd be a store. They don't exactly come up on a Google search. (Oh dang, found a shop!!! Gotta go next weekend)

I was thinking about possibly going to can jam SoCal.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #4,407 of 6,387
Is there any information about this available yet?
I haven’t seen any… I am not an insider, but get their email newsletters.

Maybe Zach shared something at a recent CanJam?

May 2, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #4,408 of 6,387
ZMF will hopefully release their sub 1K closed back later this year.
I think the latest info is from their March live stream with TylersEclectic, skip to 1:20:00
The design and driver is done, it has a more Harman-like tuning
But there's logistical issues, they need to catchup on orders before coming out with the sub-$1000 headphone, otherwise they won't be able to keep up with orders. No date was given.

The Atrium Closed is coming later this year, so I don't think we'll see the sub-$1000 ZMF headphone until 2023.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #4,409 of 6,387
I'm looking for some advice on where to go in my journey to upgrade from E-Mu Teaks. If I were to summarize what I'm looking for I would say more comfort, no harshness on highs, and more/equivalent bass.

These are headphones that I intend to use for all genres of music as well as gaming. I tried out the SONY MDR-Z1R and I can say those will not work for me - very few genres of music seemed to really make sense with them and they revealed a lot of poor mixing/quality in what I like to listen to that I'd rather not be revealed :D

In this search I believe what I'm looking for needs to be on the cusp of hi-fi but not quite there yet, I have a feeling that going too far results in the above results I had with the MDR-Z1R and so I need to probably stay within a $700-1500 range as outside of this range I feel that headphones become more genre-specific or perhaps have too much soundstage or too much detail/clarity whereas I'd like the presentation of the music to be more warm and welcoming.

In referencing this thread and feedback from others I've decided on a few choices: Denon D9200, ZMF Atticus, ZMF Auteur, Klipsch HP-3, or Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40s. Denon D9200s my main concern is they will be similar to the SONY MDR-Z1R and ultimately be too revealing, ZMF Atticus my concern is they may simply not be better than the E-Mu Teaks when it comes to bass, ZMF Auteur my concern is the bass again but also they may be too revealing, Klipsch HP-3s I think wouldn't sound good for certain EDM that I listen to but otherwise seem like a good fit though near-impossible to find, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40s I feel have been mostly glossed over when the little feedback I have seen of them is that they are likely very good and very similar to the E-Mu Teak.

What do folks think? I feel strongly that E-Mu Teaks are the best choice for someone who wants bass presence at $500, but what about between the $700-1500 range?

May 2, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #4,410 of 6,387
I'm looking for some advice on where to go in my journey to upgrade from E-Mu Teaks. If I were to summarize what I'm looking for I would say more comfort, no harshness on highs, and more/equivalent bass.

These are headphones that I intend to use for all genres of music as well as gaming. I tried out the SONY MDR-Z1R and I can say those will not work for me - very few genres of music seemed to really make sense with them and they revealed a lot of poor mixing/quality in what I like to listen to that I'd rather not be revealed :D

In this search I believe what I'm looking for needs to be on the cusp of hi-fi but not quite there yet, I have a feeling that going too far results in the above results I had with the MDR-Z1R and so I need to probably stay within a $700-1500 range as outside of this range I feel that headphones become more genre-specific or perhaps have too much soundstage or too much detail/clarity whereas I'd like the presentation of the music to be more warm and welcoming.

In referencing this thread and feedback from others I've decided on a few choices: Denon D9200, ZMF Atticus, ZMF Auteur, Klipsch HP-3, or Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40s. Denon D9200s my main concern is they will be similar to the SONY MDR-Z1R and ultimately be too revealing, ZMF Atticus my concern is they may simply not be better than the E-Mu Teaks when it comes to bass, ZMF Auteur my concern is the bass again but also they may be too revealing, Klipsch HP-3s I think wouldn't sound good for certain EDM that I listen to but otherwise seem like a good fit though near-impossible to find, and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40s I feel have been mostly glossed over when the little feedback I have seen of them is that they are likely very good and very similar to the E-Mu Teak.

What do folks think? I feel strongly that E-Mu Teaks are the best choice for someone who wants bass presence at $500, but what about between the $700-1500 range?
Hmmm if you dont mind could you post some of these not so well mastered songs?

Anyways maybe you can look into the LCD2closed, I would personally rec the SRH1540 myself but the need for lack of detail is a real speedbump since the EDM I listen to is both brickwalled and wants good microdetail/imaging.

At lest to my ears if you want forgiving going planar is the answer. Its just a different presentation and may not be what you are looking for. Another option is DCA Aeon 2 noire but that one wants a good strong amp so there is that to consider as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back