The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5,881 of 6,382
I would strongly suggest demo the lcd-xc before purchase, if possible. It needs some heavy EQ, has some "planar timbre" (to my ears at least), and is quite heavy. It indeed has excellent isolation.

VC has much more natural timbre with its dynamic driver. To my ears they are very good at isolation (maybe at 90% level of lcd-xc). VC could be heavy, depending on the wood.

You might also consider ZMF AC.
I dont have much trouble with eq, I own a lcd-2 and I never had to eq it much, even though many said you need to eq that one. I like the verite but I perfer a clean sound which I think the LCD XC has (not to mention its half the price)

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #5,882 of 6,382
Hey Everyone :)

here is a little write up in case someone is searching for a good commuting / office setup that does not break the bank and is quite capable.
For a quite long time i was on the hunt for a Setup that was.

-low Profile
-mobile
-closed back
-not tooo expensive
-has one sided cable entry
-has a "fun" tunning but was not V shape (i did try the Sony MDR1AM2 and hated it)
-was detailed an dynamic enough to spend some quality listing time in the office

After some try and error i came across the AKG K371 (i know not hidden gem anymore) an decided try it on my beloved BTR7 after it
arrived it was ... OK ... the tunning was nice but the subbass was just too much for me and it was to lean in the upper bass/lower mids for my taste and the pads where just horrendous i could not wear them for more than 15 minutes .After some research i came across the Dekoni Choice Leather pads for the AKG371 and was like "UFFF 50 euro for pads???!"... but bought them anyway... and they fixed everything they tamed the subbass added some warmth and are very comfortable.
I am using this combo for a few weeks now and i am blown away and can only recommend it for mobile an office use.

Did you find a reseller for the pads in the EU?

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #5,883 of 6,382
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #5,884 of 6,382
I dont have much trouble with eq, I own a lcd-2 and I never had to eq it much, even though many said you need to eq that one. I like the verite but I perfer a clean sound which I think the LCD XC has (not to mention its half the price)
All 677 grams of them? I tried a couple Audeze headphones and they are heavy. At this point in my life, sound is now second to comfort.

ZMF are some of the most comfortable headphones I have owned.

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #5,885 of 6,382
All 677 grams of them? I tried a couple Audeze headphones and they are heavy. At this point in my life, sound is now second to comfort.

ZMF are some of the most comfortable headphones I have owned.
I have the lcd-2s which are heavy too, If you use the old headband with the new leather strap they sell together the force can be distributed very well and its comfortable for long listening sessions

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #5,886 of 6,382
Interesting to know. Everything I've read about Audeze headphones tells me I'd like the sound, but I've been put off by their weight. Might be time to give them a try...

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #5,888 of 6,382
Just purchased the last Focal, Radiance, now I'll have owned them all. Let's see how they stack up!
I found them lacking compared to the MG
Nothing really stood out. Still a decent headphone, but I much preferred the timbre and tonality of the MG. Curious to hear your impressions.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #5,889 of 6,382
I would strongly suggest demo the lcd-xc before purchase, if possible. It needs some heavy EQ, has some "planar timbre" (to my ears at least), and is quite heavy. It indeed has excellent isolation.

VC has much more natural timbre with its dynamic driver. To my ears they are very good at isolation (maybe at 90% level of lcd-xc). VC could be heavy, depending on the wood.

You might also consider ZMF AC.
the LCD-XC is listed as 677g, and I'm not sure any VC has ever been quite that weight. My LCD-3 is 608g and my heaviest ZMF is a 613g Blackwood Verite Open but far, far more comfortable. My Koa VC is 518g and would be a bit lighter if I hadn't gone for the heavier brass rods. If you're considering a used one, the wood definitely impacts the weight, and looking up the janka hardness rating gives a general idea of weight, with harder equallying heavier. Other woods bought direct it will give weight ranges and the stock Sapele is light, while the current special Redwood Burl is likely even lighter. My Atrium Closed in that is 435g. Both the AC & VC are excellent and while they're not far apart in terms of detail, most including myself would give the nod to the VC if detail is of major importance.

Aug 27, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #5,892 of 6,382
what is best isolating closed back? I listen to classical, soundtracks and jazz mostly. But in a very loud environment. Mostly thinking about the Audeze LCD-xc, Verite Closed, Focal Radiance but open to others. Detail retrieval and Isolation are my main concerns.

Second the comment on Dan Clark Aeon's, esp. for the genres you listen to. The most comfortable headphones I've ever had, by far, and really perfect out of the box.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #5,893 of 6,382
^DCA headphones are the most comfortable, but nothing isolates like a Focal. The Radiance and especially the Celestee were the closest to noise-canceling headphones I've ever experienced in a closed-back.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #5,895 of 6,382
^DCA headphones are the most comfortable, but nothing isolates like a Focal. The Radiance and especially the Celestee were the closest to noise-canceling headphones I've ever experienced in a closed-back.

I think the problem I have heard with dca noires is that they are very boring. I do want to try them sometime though. I am happy the focals provide amazing isolation, thats what I was always after. I also love how the radiance looks. Im happy overall. I will keep an eye out for the new zmf prototype. Maybe those end up good. If they can shake up the market with a verite “lite” they did good. If Hifiman finds a formula for creating a closed back thats as good as their openbacks with the pricing they have, these companies will be in a very tough spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back