THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,011 of 3,304
And I am sincerely apologetic for going off topic. To the OP of this thread, please except my apology. But, I just couldn't let that go. I needed to respond. Back to the Composer and apparently the HD800S. I was just at Canjam in Dallas and didn't see the Composer there to try. If it was there and I missed it that is on me. I wanted to hear it. I did listen to the HD800S on their HDVA820 AIO, and it was lovely... Outside of the 6k peak, the treble is like glass, and the midrange is so informative. That is one musical headphone. I also quite enjoyed the HD820, which I wasn't expecting to like. It was extremely smooth and felt like the type of headphone for a Sunday morning listening to Charlie Hunter's rendition of the album Natty Dread. If you haven't heard it, it is well worth a listen...

Thanks for the tip. Great groove. Sounds like Charlie is playing through leslie speaker or effect. With Composer and Cayin Ha-3a balanced sounds so good and lively!

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #2,012 of 3,304
Oh, I don't have the Composer. I hope to one day. I didn't get to try it at Canjam, unfortunately. Yes, his rhythm section is fantastic, and Charlie is an extremely melodic and talented guitar player with a great band behind him.

In March, AA will be at Can Jam NYC with the composer👍

NOMAX

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #2,013 of 3,304
Queued up to listen to next. I lived on the Island for a couple years and I can tell you Bob Marley's music is everywhere, all the time. He's a national treasure over there.

Leo
Funny, my 24 year old has been playing a lot of Marley and Reggae in general lately.....and I was exactly his age in 1976 when I caught the Wailers playing in a gymnasium at the University de Montreal. :sunglasses:

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #2,014 of 3,304
and I was exactly his age in 1976 when I caught the Wailers playing in a gymnasium at the University de Montreal. :sunglasses:
Amazing what one can find.... : )

"Advt. for Bob marley 7 the Wailers concert in Montreal, Canada.1976-05-04"
https://artsandculture.google.com/a...ncert-in-montreal-canada/yQGv0iIpf_e7JQ?hl=en
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 2.17.54 PM.png
http://voiceofthesufferers.free.fr/1976-05-04.html

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #2,016 of 3,304
I am making this post in honor of a fellow head-fier and Deadhead who sent me a pm last night.

After posting, my Stax SR007 was starting to complain that all I have been doing is listening to the new one.

I just got the digital download of Dave's Picks 49, the Grateful Dead at the Frost Theater in Standford University from April 1985. So me and stax took Jerry and the boys (means the grateful dead) out for a spin.

The Frost was a fantastic place to see live music, and the grateful dead in particular. In the California sunshine, the stage was at the bottom of a gently sloping hill. It was easy to see the band from where ever you were, there were trees at the top of the hill in case the sun was too much. But the best part was the sound. The hill wasn't very reflective, there was no hall or arena echo. The Dead always had state of the art (in fact they invented some stuff for big rock shows) sound equipment, and Dan healy the dead's soundboard engineer, by 85 had that place down. So you heard everything really perfectly, very loud, but not too loud, the spatial display of the sound was spot on, and you could understand the words no matter how chemically enhanced you were. I think I saw the Dead every show they ever played there, and then later when the bass player came with his band Phil and Friends featuring the dueling guitars of warren haynes and jimmie herring. It was just a great venue.

Me and Stax started our journey. The gentle euphonic presentation of the SR007 put a dreamy smile on my face. The bass response while not so slammy was full and deep, jerry's guitar rang out clearly and the rest of the band made more muted improvisational statements around under and through where Garcia lead them.

Just before the classic Scarlet Begonias started to play, apologizing to the SR007, I put the composer on my head. About three minutes into the song I literally had goosebumps. The sound was exactly like it was in 85. It's a little hard to completely capture within the confines of language, but the tonality, the way the space between instruements was so clearly defined, the rasp in garcia's voice betraying his habit of camel cigarettes and 200 plus shows a year, all of it was sounding like a long lost memory coming vibrantly and spectacularly back to life. We used to call them "phil bombs" special bone shaking, mind destroying notes that would suddenly drop out of Phil Lesh's bass. Perfectly rendered.

The stax euphony was special, but it didn't capture the space. It place a very sweet tonal layer onto the music, many probably would prefer it. But it isn't exactly how the Dead sounded. The Composer did that. It was a total audio high....

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #2,017 of 3,304
I am making this post in honor of a fellow head-fier and Deadhead who sent me a pm last night.

After posting, my Stax SR007 was starting to complain that all I have been doing is listening to the new one.

I just got the digital download of Dave's Picks 49, the Grateful Dead at the Frost Theater in Standford University from April 1985. So me and stax took Jerry and the boys (means the grateful dead) out for a spin.

The Frost was a fantastic place to see live music, and the grateful dead in particular. In the California sunshine, the stage was at the bottom of a gently sloping hill. It was easy to see the band from where ever you were, there were trees at the top of the hill in case the sun was too much. But the best part was the sound. The hill wasn't very reflective, there was no hall or arena echo. The Dead always had state of the art (in fact they invented some stuff for big rock shows) sound equipment, and Dan healy the dead's soundboard engineer, by 85 had that place down. So you heard everything really perfectly, very loud, but not too loud, the spatial display of the sound was spot on, and you could understand the words no matter how chemically enhanced you were. I think I saw the Dead every show they ever played there, and then later when the bass player came with his band Phil and Friends featuring the dueling guitars of warren haynes and jimmie herring. It was just a great venue.

Me and Stax started our journey. The gentle euphonic presentation of the SR007 put a dreamy smile on my face. The bass response while not so slammy was full and deep, jerry's guitar rang out clearly and the rest of the band made more muted improvisational statements around under and through where Garcia lead them.

Just before the classic Scarlet Begonias started to play, apologizing to the SR007, I put the composer on my head. About three minutes into the song I literally had goosebumps. The sound was exactly like it was in 85. It's a little hard to completely capture withing the confines of language, but the tonality, the way the space between instruements was so clearly defined, the rasp in garcia's voice betraying his habit of camel cigarettes and 200 plus shows a year, all of it was sounding like a long lost memory coming vibrantly and spectacularly back to life. We used to call them "phil bombs" special bone shaking, mind destroying notes that would suddenly drop out of Phil Lesh's bass. Perfectly rendered.

The stax euphony was special, but it didn't capture the space. It place a very sweet tonal layer onto the music, many probably would prefer it. But it isn't exactly how the Dead sounded. The Composer did that. It was a total audio high....

I'm having a flashback!

Leo

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #2,018 of 3,304
Wow, I am stunned about what has been said above...and "only guitars."

One of these two gentlemen is easily one of the greatest musicians to have ever lived.

I prefer Neal Schon,George Benson or Nile Rodgers, there's more going on, where my feet start to tap😎
Everyone has their heroes they like to listen to👍

Nomax

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #2,019 of 3,304
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #2,020 of 3,304
You know I don't get what all the animosity is around @Nomax and this headphone.

What I see is that you have two experienced members of the community, Resolve and Nomax, who hear things differently. The entire site is made up of people like this. People keep trying to impugn Nomax's integrity. That is super strange. Yes he has an unusual communication style, in part because he seems to be using a translator at times. But so what!

Nomax owns the best headphone system for sale in the world. He listens to it as often as he pleases, that could mean his ears are finely tuned. He has a number of times said that certain headphones that were either just released or about to be released were special, and most people after getting past his funny way of putting it, seem to agree. He owns all the headphones he is comparing composer to, so that sort of rules out he is biased by what he paid money for (it's also not clear if Resolve is comparing headphones from memeory or just trying them out side by side). He owns the Nutopia (and was pushing that one just before it came out) and either owns or owned the OG utopia. The guy has proven good ears. Of course that doesn't mean that he is always right or always right for you. But the guy deserves respect.

Resolve also deserves our respect. In my case I agree with him about the SR007 and the Sus, and suspect I would agree with him about the warwick. But I have never agreed with his take on the HD800S. If you watch his year end video he did with GoldenEar and the other guy, he winces when goldenear says the 6k peak doesn't bother him that much (I hear it, but it also doesn't bother me either). The other two guys rated the Senn higher than resolve. So that how it works. It's what resolve called the headphone transfer function. It also is confusing to me that he says that the 6k peak doesn't bother him on the composer but he like the treble better on the Senn. Humans are weird.

Now if I put my Stax SR007 on. That's a much more interesting debate...
Completely agree!

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #2,022 of 3,304

Just before the classic Scarlet Begonias started to play, apologizing to the SR007, I put the composer on my head. About three minutes into the song I literally had goosebumps. The sound was exactly like it was in 85. It's a little hard to completely capture withing the confines of language, but the tonality, the way the space between instruements was so clearly defined, the rasp in garcia's voice betraying his habit of camel cigarettes and 200 plus shows a year, all of it was sounding like a long lost memory coming vibrantly and spectacularly back to life. We used to call them "phil bombs" special bone shaking, mind destroying notes that would suddenly drop out of Phil Lesh's bass. Perfectly rendered.

Interesting golden memories. Composer clearly seems to have similarities with Stax. I've got sr-l500mkii and something in detailness and bass quality,not quantity, and the cleanliness resembles each other. Stax bass is anyhow so much weaker and somehow less deep so the middle frequencies come more to the front. In some cases Stax sounds anyhow really great. There is some magic in it. But in whole spectre of music Composer is clearly ahead I think.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #2,023 of 3,304
Interesting golden memories. Composer clearly seems to have similarities with Stax. I've got sr-l500mkii and something in detailness and bass quality,not quantity, and the cleanliness resembles each other. Stax bass is anyhow so much weaker and somehow less deep so the middle frequencies come more to the front. In some cases Stax sounds anyhow really great. There is some magic in it. But in whole spectre of music Composer is clearly ahead I think.
The SR007 is unusual in the stax lineup for several reasons. But on an amp with enough current (means not a stax amp) it has a really good bass response.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #2,024 of 3,304
Feb 3, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #2,025 of 3,304
The SR007 is unusual in the stax lineup for several reasons. But on an amp with enough current (means not a stax amp) it has a really good bass response.
Same experience. I heard one on T2 and the visceral impact from 007 was pretty good, as was the mid bass slam and definition. The quantity of upper and mid bass was about average (from below average) and the sub bass can also be felt and about average among cans. 007 was one of my favorite stax on t2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back